Topics

DRAWS hat + PiJuice

Chris Metcalf

Has anybody successfully incorporated a RPi UPS board like the PiJuice (https://uk.pi-supply.com/products/pijuice-standard) to prevent corruption based on power loss, especially while operating mobile? I've got automatic backups to a USB thumb drive set up with RSnapshot now, but it'd be nice to have the PiJuice there to automatically shut down gracefully the RPi when power is disconnected.

It looks like it interfaces using spring pins on the 40 pin connector, and everything is pass-through except power and I2C: https://github.com/PiSupply/PiJuice

Does that conflict with anything that the DRAWS hat needs? My only other concern would be being able to power/charge the PiJuice from the 12v connection on the DRAWS.

Thanks,
Chris

Basil Gunn

For mobile apps using 12V battery.
I don't use PiJuice, instead I use Powerwerx its-12.
https://powerwerx.com/automotive-dc-timer-lvd-battery-guard

It's a low voltage detect & a timer.
Using 'sensors' command I can read the 12V supply from the DRAWS hat &
detect when it goes from altenator/generator to battery only and do an
APRS beacon & graceful RPi shut down. Been using it for about 3 months.
/Basil n7nix

Chris Metcalf <chris@...> writes:

Has anybody successfully incorporated a RPi UPS board like the PiJuice (
https://uk.pi-supply.com/products/pijuice-standard) to prevent corruption
based on power loss, especially while operating mobile? I've got automatic
backups to a USB thumb drive set up with RSnapshot now, but it'd be nice to
have the PiJuice there to automatically shut down gracefully the RPi when
power is disconnected.

It looks like it interfaces using spring pins on the 40 pin connector, and
everything is pass-through except power and I2C:
https://github.com/PiSupply/PiJuice

Does that conflict with anything that the DRAWS hat needs? My only other
concern would be being able to power/charge the PiJuice from the 12v
connection on the DRAWS.

Thanks,
Chris

Michael WA7SKG

Not the PiJuice specifically, but I am using the MoPi 2 (https://pi.gate.ac.uk/pages/mopi.html). This does not include a built-in battery like the PiJuice, but has two inputs that accept 6.5-24VDC, a charger input and a management system. It gives you a push button to start/stop the RPi, monitors voltage and will initiate automatic shutdown for low voltage, on-board LEDs as well as on-screen notifications. Each input can configure for different battery chemistries. It also has a relay connection if you need to switch higher current sources.

In my configuration, I am not using a DRAWS hat, but a TNC-X. I think the DRAWS configuration would be similar. The whole package is mounted on the back of a SmartiPi Touch case. It seems to work quite well. I am mounting it in my vehicle connected to the vehicle 12V supply.

Michael WA7SKG

Chris Metcalf wrote on 1/27/20 1:09 PM:

Has anybody successfully incorporated a RPi UPS board like the PiJuice (https://uk.pi-supply.com/products/pijuice-standard) to prevent corruption based on power loss, especially while operating mobile? I've got automatic backups to a USB thumb drive set up with RSnapshot now, but it'd be nice to have the PiJuice there to automatically shut down gracefully the RPi when power is disconnected.
It looks like it interfaces using spring pins on the 40 pin connector, and everything is pass-through except power and I2C: https://github.com/PiSupply/PiJuice
Does that conflict with anything that the DRAWS hat needs? My only other concern would be being able to power/charge the PiJuice from the 12v connection on the DRAWS.
Thanks,
Chris

Laurent Lathieyre | K2BRC

I have the same question.