Topics

Draws image

Douglas

I was able to get it to write the image to the sd card.  When i start the boot, it won't boot to login.
The last line in the boot process is
[    0.957101] ---[ end Kernel panic: not syncing: VFS:  Unable to mount fs on unknown-block(179,2)

KI7LIK
Granada Estates Neighborhood Watch

Please provide the exact steps you followed (program, SDCARD type/size, etc.) -- did you have the program verify the write?

On Sat, Mar 30, 2019 at 8:05 PM Douglas KI7LIK <KI7LIK.AZ@...> wrote:
I was able to get it to write the image to the sd card.  When i start the boot, it won't boot to login.
The last line in the boot process is
[    0.957101] ---[ end Kernel panic: not syncing: VFS:  Unable to mount fs on unknown-block(179,2)

KI7LIK
Granada Estates Neighborhood Watch

Douglas

I used the same pny 32GB card i qas using before, just using a usb adapter rather than a full size sd card adapter.

As far as writing the image, i used the raspbian linux and the getting started steps provided.   The only exception is that for the write command, is used sudo dd.

On Sat, Mar 30, 2019, 21:36 John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
Please provide the exact steps you followed (program, SDCARD type/size, etc.) -- did you have the program verify the write?

On Sat, Mar 30, 2019 at 8:05 PM Douglas KI7LIK <KI7LIK.AZ@...> wrote:
I was able to get it to write the image to the sd card.  When i start the boot, it won't boot to login.
The last line in the boot process is
[    0.957101] ---[ end Kernel panic: not syncing: VFS:  Unable to mount fs on unknown-block(179,2)

KI7LIK
Granada Estates Neighborhood Watch

I am suspecting the card may be bad -- is there any way you can burn it using Etcher on a Windows or Mac computer?  (Did you unzip it before copying it?)

If you try dd again, copy the command and output so we can see what happens.

On Sat, Mar 30, 2019 at 9:44 PM Douglas KI7LIK <KI7LIK.AZ@...> wrote:
[...]

You most likely didn't do a 'sync' after the dd command.

Could you please ssh into your pi from another computer that has email so you can
cut & paste the console output of your dd command and email it to us.

/Basil n7nix

Douglas KI7LIK <KI7LIK.AZ@...> writes:

I was able to get it to write the image to the sd card. When i start the
boot, it won't boot to login.
The last line in the boot process is
[ 0.957101] ---[ end Kernel panic: not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount fs
on unknown-block(179,2)

Gayland Gump

I suspect Basil has it correct.  I experienced similar conditions the write cycles take longer than one expects and concluding with a sync command will help insure that all write buffers have been written.
Gayland
KG7GCF

On Sat, Mar 30, 2019 at 10:21 PM Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:

You most likely didn't do a 'sync' after the dd command.

Could you please ssh into your pi from another computer that has email so you can
cut & paste the console output of your dd command and email it to us.

/Basil n7nix

Douglas KI7LIK <KI7LIK.AZ@...> writes:

> I was able to get it to write the image to the sd card.  When i start the
> boot, it won't boot to login.
> The last line in the boot process is
> [    0.957101] ---[ end Kernel panic: not syncing: VFS:  Unable to mount fs
> on unknown-block(179,2)

Douglas

Basil, would the sync follow on the same command line or another commNd line immediately after it's finished writing?

Douglas

On Sat, Mar 30, 2019, 22:21 Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:

You most likely didn't do a 'sync' after the dd command.

Could you please ssh into your pi from another computer that has email so you can
cut & paste the console output of your dd command and email it to us.

/Basil n7nix

Douglas KI7LIK <KI7LIK.AZ@...> writes:

> I was able to get it to write the image to the sd card.  When i start the
> boot, it won't boot to login.
> The last line in the boot process is
> [    0.957101] ---[ end Kernel panic: not syncing: VFS:  Unable to mount fs
> on unknown-block(179,2)

John Amdor III

Could one chain the commands 'dd [options] && sync' so that upon successful completion of the dd command the sync command would automatically execute?

John K0MXL

Douglas KI7LIK <KI7LIK.AZ@... <mailto:KI7LIK.AZ@...>>
writes:

> I was able to get it to write the image to the sd card.  When i
start the
> boot, it won't boot to login.
> The last line in the boot process is
> [    0.957101] ---[ end Kernel panic: not syncing: VFS:  Unable
to mount fs
> on unknown-block(179,2)

Basil Gunn

For Linux my command line looks like this:

time (dcfldd if=draws_beta10.img of=/dev/sde bs=4M status=progress; sync)

You must determine the correct output device name or you run the
possibility of ruining your workstation hard drive.

First I run fdisk -l
then put the uSD card into the reader/writer
then do another fdisk -l
This gives me confidence that I properly identified the uSD card that I
want to burn.

would the sync follow on the same command line or another commNd
line immediately after it's finished writing?
You could run sync following your dcfldd command, that also works. It
doesn't 'hurt' to run sync multiple times. What you should observe is
that ALOT of write data is buffered and NOT yet written when the dcfldd
command returns.

You could run dd. I prefer dcfldd
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dd_(Unix)#Dcfldd

/Basil

writes:

> I was able to get it to write the image to the sd card. When i
start the
> boot, it won't boot to login.
> The last line in the boot process is
> [ 0.957101] ---[ end Kernel panic: not syncing: VFS: Unable
to mount fs
> on unknown-block(179,2)

Douglas

when i try to run ddcfldd, it says command not found, even using sudo.

--
Granada Estates Neighborhood Watch

Douglas

Here is the end of the write in terminal.

Douglas

--
Granada Estates Neighborhood Watch

ddcfldd is not installed by default.

As I have said before, download and try Etcher on a Windows or Mac system if you can.  If you can't, you can just use dd, and as others have said, when using dd it doesn't hurt to run sync afterwards (and wait a bit before removing the sd card, to make sure it is fully written).

For us to help, we really need for you to show us exactly what you are doing, including downloading the image, unzipping it, running the command (don't just say I followed the instructions, because something is not working correctly, and that usually it means a typo or similar) and what output you see from each command.

--
Granada Estates Neighborhood Watch

That looks good -- now do sync again before removing it and then try booting off of it.

--
Granada Estates Neighborhood Watch

Douglas

Is the command to sync just "sync"?

Douglas

--
Granada Estates Neighborhood Watch

yes and wait a while after issuing it. (maybe sudo sync) -- you are basically telling the operating system to flush buffers out to storage (e.g. make sure all of the data is written to the sd card).

--
Granada Estates Neighborhood Watch

You can install dcfldd like this:
# Become root
sudo su
apt-get update
apt-get install dcfldd

# Carefully read this wiki page
https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/DRAWS%3A-Getting-Started

/Basil

when i try to run ddcfldd, it says command not found, even using sudo.
Because it's not installed.

Basil Gunn

Is the command to sync just "sync"?
Yes. I would do it as root because you should have permissions to open
the device you were using.

# Become root
sudo su
sync

/Basil

Douglas

I will be trying with a new disc, unless i can reuse this one.  I cant seem to get past it not syncing.  I attached a picture of the most recent boot.

Douglas

On Sun, Mar 31, 2019, 17:01 Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:

> Is the command to sync just "sync"?

Yes. I would do it as root because you should have permissions to open
the device you were using.

# Become root
sudo su
sync

/Basil

Douglas

Success.

KI7LIK
Granada Estates Neighborhood Watch

stprovost@...

Hello, can we STOP sending megabyte size images here????
Some of us only have small email boxes and these large image files fill it up.
you should be able to reduce the jpg file size before adding the files as attachments.

thanks
stephen ACD8QE