Topics

DRAWS Image 15 and Xastir

Jack Spitznagel

Basil, All,

Did I miss a posting about this? Had trouble getting XASTIR to load following the install and configure checklist/instructions in the group Wiki.

I finally got a chance (well, was forced by an apparent image 14 SD card brainfart) to load and configure DRAWS image 15. I was taking consulting calls and doing a pile of paperwork concurrently, so I beg idiocy and broken focus.

The load and configure went just fine until after Direwolf was configured and I tried to launch and configure XASTIR. I could not get it to come up using the icon or the console. I did do all reboots as required in the checklist.

I wish I had been less busy and had recorded exactly what I tried during my salvage attempt but the sequence was something like:

  1. used APT to attempt an update – failed saying a library was missing (“maria***.lib” or something like it)
  2. used the repair option and it failed, missing the same library
  3. one of the error messages suggested a full system update and to try again, update succeeded.
  4. Repair option then worked and XASTIR started.

Basil, I am kicking myself that I did not write things down. I can’t remember if this image enables an install log by default. If so will be glad to send it.

XASTIR is happily working in spite of all that so priority is more for others than for me.

Jack Spitznagel – KD4IZ

Biomedical Consulting Services

Basil Gunn

Thanks Jack.

If you can't get xastir to start from clicking the desktop icon then
open a console and run xastir from the console. Doing this will display
any problems that may be occurring that you won't see from clicking the
desktop icon.

I'll do a fresh install later today to see if I can replicate.
/Basil n7nix

Jack Spitznagel <@flyingfrawg> writes:

[...]

I have a 2nd DRAWS unit I use for porta/mobile activities and an SD card that already has the “virgin” image on it. I will give it a try this afternoon and record the results. More to come.

Best
--
Jack - KD4IZ

Basil Gunn

Hi Jack,

The following is what I did from a clean install of image15 to get Xastir to run.
I tried to run Xastir from just a clean install & I received this error:

xastir: error while loading shared libraries: libgeotiff.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

After doing the following Xastir ran fine.

apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
apt-get -y -qq install shapelib libshp-dev libgeotiff-dev libwebp-dev libgraphicsmagick1-dev
shutdown -r now

/Basil n7nix

Jack Spitznagel <@flyingfrawg> writes:

I have a 2nd DRAWS unit I use for porta/mobile activities and an SD card that already has the “virgin” image on it. I will give it a try this afternoon and record the results. More to come.

Best

Jack Spitznagel

Did not exactly follow that but did "some".

My error was "xastir: error while loading shared libraries: libgeotiff.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory" so I'll back up unless and try again unless you plan to change the image so those steps are not needed.
--
Jack - KD4IZ

Basil Gunn

My error was
"xastir: error while loading shared libraries:> libgeotiff.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory"
Yep. I confirm that's also what I see.

so I'll back up unless and try again unless you plan to
change the image so those steps are not needed.
This is easily fixed with what I previously posted so will not be
releasing a new image for that. The xs_install.sh script already fixes
this problem.

sudo su
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade
apt-get -y -qq install shapelib libshp-dev libgeotiff-dev libwebp-dev
libgraphicsmagick1-dev

/Basil n7nix

Jack Spitznagel

Thanks Basil,

It worked. But when I went to wrap things up for my style of operating with raspbian LINUX, I tried to install synaptic and xscreensaver. Both attempts started by retrieving and failed at the extracting steps with a "dpkg returned an error code (2)".

Fortunately XASTIR still starts and runs as do other apps, so I am not totally hamstrung.

See error message detail below:

For Synaptic install - when unpacking:
"Selecting previously unselected package libcairo-perl.
dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:
 files list file for package 'rpi-eeprom-images' contains empty filename
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)"

For Xscreensaver install - when unpacking:
"Selecting previously unselected package libglade2-0:armhf.
dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:
 files list file for package 'rpi-eeprom-images' contains empty filename
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)"

I tried several of the dpkg recovery suggestions from online raspbian help sources, but none did the trick so I could continue with the installations.Are there any tricks to bring *dpkg* back to its senses or rebuild the specified files with empty filenames?

Thanks for responding even if I am off topic here...

--
Jack - KD4IZ

Basil Gunn

Hi Jack,

Something to try.

Use the console commands instead of synaptic so you can cut & paste the
output into an email to me.

sudo su
apt-get update
apt-get install --fix-missing
apt-get dist-upgrade

Send me the console output of the above commands.

/Basil

[...]

I've seen issues arise when using both synaptic and command line apt-get.   Be careful and watch for weirdness.

Daniel Sohn

[...]

Hi Basil,

I ran your script sequence from the previous note-

sudo su

apt-get update

apt-get install --fix-missing

apt-get dist-upgrade

As requested, here is the console output from that session:

pi@kd4izdraws2:~ $ sudo su

root@kd4izdraws2:/home/pi# apt-get update

Hit:1 http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian buster InRelease

Get:2 http://raspbian.raspberrypi.org/raspbian buster InRelease [15.0 kB]

Fetched 15.0 kB in 1s (15.3 kB/s)

Reading package lists... Done

root@kd4izdraws2:/home/pi# apt-get install --fix-missing

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

  alsa-base gstreamer0.10-alsa gstreamer0.10-plugins-base libegl-dev

  libgles-dev libglvnd-core-dev libglvnd-dev libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0

  libgstreamer0.10-0 libjpeg9 libllvm6.0 libopengl0 libva-wayland2

  libx11-xcb-dev libxcb-dri2-0-dev libxcb-dri3-dev libxcb-glx0-dev

  libxcb-present-dev libxcb-randr0-dev libxcb-render0-dev libxcb-shape0-dev

  libxcb-sync-dev libxcb-xfixes0-dev libxfce4util-bin libxfce4util-common

  libxfce4util7 libxfconf-0-2 libxshmfence-dev pimixer point-rpi xfconf

Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.

root@kd4izdraws2:/home/pi# apt-get dist-upgrade

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

Calculating upgrade... Done

  alsa-base gstreamer0.10-alsa gstreamer0.10-plugins-base libegl-dev

  libgles-dev libglvnd-core-dev libglvnd-dev libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0

  libgstreamer0.10-0 libjpeg9 libllvm6.0 libopengl0 libva-wayland2

  libx11-xcb-dev libxcb-dri2-0-dev libxcb-dri3-dev libxcb-glx0-dev

  libxcb-present-dev libxcb-randr0-dev libxcb-render0-dev libxcb-shape0-dev

  libxcb-sync-dev libxcb-xfixes0-dev libxfce4util-bin libxfce4util-common

  libxfce4util7 libxfconf-0-2 libxshmfence-dev pimixer point-rpi xfconf

Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.

root@kd4izdraws2:/home/pi#

The above obviously did not change the outcome of an attempt to install synaptic (tried again anyway). Then when running “sudo apt autoremove” afterward, dpkg still borks with an error code (2) – it is apparently unhappy because “ 'rpi-eeprom-images' contains empty filename”:

pi@kd4izdraws2:~ $ sudo apt-get install synaptic

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

  alsa-base gstreamer0.10-alsa gstreamer0.10-plugins-base libegl-dev

  libgles-dev libglvnd-core-dev libglvnd-dev libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0

  libgstreamer0.10-0 libjpeg9 libllvm6.0 libopengl0 libva-wayland2

  libx11-xcb-dev libxcb-dri2-0-dev libxcb-dri3-dev libxcb-glx0-dev

  libxcb-present-dev libxcb-randr0-dev libxcb-render0-dev libxcb-shape0-dev

  libxcb-sync-dev libxcb-xfixes0-dev libxfce4util-bin libxfce4util-common

  libxfce4util7 libxfconf-0-2 libxshmfence-dev pimixer point-rpi xfconf

Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.

The following additional packages will be installed:

  libcairo-perl libept1.5.0 libglib-perl libgtk2-perl libpango-perl

  libxapian30

Suggested packages:

  libfont-freetype-perl libgtk2-perl-doc xapian-tools dwww menu deborphan

  apt-xapian-index software-properties-gtk

  libcairo-perl libept1.5.0 libglib-perl libgtk2-perl libpango-perl

  libxapian30 synaptic

0 upgraded, 7 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Need to get 0 B/4,196 kB of archives.

After this operation, 14.7 MB of additional disk space will be used.

Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y

pi@kd4izdraws2:~ $ sudo apt autoremove

Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree

Reading state information... Done

The following packages will be REMOVED:

  alsa-base gstreamer0.10-alsa gstreamer0.10-plugins-base libegl-dev

  libgles-dev libglvnd-core-dev libglvnd-dev libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0

  libgstreamer0.10-0 libjpeg9 libllvm6.0 libopengl0 libva-wayland2

  libx11-xcb-dev libxcb-dri2-0-dev libxcb-dri3-dev libxcb-glx0-dev

  libxcb-present-dev libxcb-randr0-dev libxcb-render0-dev libxcb-shape0-dev

  libxcb-sync-dev libxcb-xfixes0-dev libxfce4util-bin libxfce4util-common

  libxfce4util7 libxfconf-0-2 libxshmfence-dev pimixer point-rpi xfconf

0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 31 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

After this operation, 68.8 MB disk space will be freed.

Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y

dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:

files list file for package 'rpi-eeprom-images' contains empty filename

This is getting off the beaten DRAWS track, so tell me if you don’t want to go there…

Thanks for trying to help.

Jack Spitznagel – KD4IZ

Trustee for NR3DT

The Museum Ship USCGC Taney WHEC-37 Amateur Radio Group

Cell: (410) 207-5123

Basil Gunn

Jack,

Goal is to fix this problem:

dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:
files list file for package 'rpi-eeprom-images' contains empty filename

Do NOT go back & forth using synaptic & apt-get. Until this problem is
solved JUST use apt-get.

Do this:

sudo su
dpkg -l "rpi-eeprom*"

apt-get remove rpi-eeprom-images
apt-get install rpi-eeprom rpi-eeprom-images

dpkg -l "rpi-eeprom*"

# Send me the console output of above.

/Basil

Jack Spitznagel <@flyingfrawg> writes:

Hi Basil,

I ran your script sequence from the previous note-

sudo su

apt-get update

apt-get install --fix-missing

apt-get dist-upgrade

As requested, here is the console output from that session:

pi@kd4izdraws2:~ $ sudo su

Jack Spitznagel

Basil...
Will do as you suggest momentarily. Sorry for the confusion. I am not running synaptic because it never was successfully installed. I have been strictly using the apt-get commands you suggested.
--
Jack - KD4IZ

Jack Spitznagel

Ran the commands and here is the console output:

pi@kd4izdraws2:~ $ sudo su
root@kd4izdraws2:/home/pi# dpkg -l "rpi-eeprom"
||/ Name           Version      Architecture Description
+++-==============-============-============-==================================
ii  rpi-eeprom     5.0-2        all          Raspberry Pi 4 boot EEPROM updater
root@kd4izdraws2:/home/pi# apt-get remove rpi-eeprom-images
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  flashrom libftdi1-2 libusb-0.1-4
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  rpi-eeprom rpi-eeprom-images
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 7,798 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
root@kd4izdraws2:/home/pi# apt-get install rpi-eeprom rpi-eeprom-images
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
rpi-eeprom is already the newest version (5.0-2).
rpi-eeprom-images is already the newest version (5.0-2).
root@kd4izdraws2:/home/pi# dpkg -l "rpi-eeprom"
||/ Name           Version      Architecture Description
+++-==============-============-============-==================================
ii  rpi-eeprom     5.0-2        all          Raspberry Pi 4 boot EEPROM updater
root@kd4izdraws2:/home/pi#

Hope we aren't chasing a princess riding a unicorn... sure seems like it. Maybe better to just start with a clean image? Only thing bothers me is that this happened twice on two different units. Only messing with one to try to fix it.
--
Jack - KD4IZ

Basil Gunn

Jack,
Not sure if this worked or not. Guessing it didn't.
Some files in your file system are corrupted.

As a last attempt do this:

dpkg -l "rpi-eeprom*"
# Note asterisk at end of rpi-eeprom

sudo su

# Note asterisks at end of lines

rm /var/lib/dpkg/info/rpi-eeprom-images*
rm /var/cache/apt/archives/rpi-eeprom-images*

apt-get remove rpi-eeprom-images
apt-get install rpi-eeprom rpi-eeprom-images

dpkg -l "rpi-eeprom*"
# Note asterisk at end of rpi-eeprom

Jack Spitznagel <@flyingfrawg> writes:

Ran the commands and here is the console output:

pi@kd4izdraws2:~ $ sudo su
root@kd4izdraws2:/home/pi# dpkg -l "rpi-eeprom"
||/ Name Version Architecture Description
+++-==============-============-============-==================================
ii rpi-eeprom 5.0-2 all Raspberry Pi 4 boot EEPROM updater
root@kd4izdraws2:/home/pi# apt-get remove rpi-eeprom-images
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
flashrom libftdi1-2 libusb-0.1-4
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
rpi-eeprom rpi-eeprom-images
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 7,798 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
dpkg: unrecoverable fatal error, aborting:
files list file for package 'rpi-eeprom-images' contains empty filename
root@kd4izdraws2:/home/pi# apt-get install rpi-eeprom rpi-eeprom-images
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
rpi-eeprom is already the newest version (5.0-2).
rpi-eeprom-images is already the newest version (5.0-2).
root@kd4izdraws2:/home/pi# dpkg -l "rpi-eeprom"
||/ Name Version Architecture Description
+++-==============-============-============-==================================
ii rpi-eeprom 5.0-2 all Raspberry Pi 4 boot EEPROM updater
root@kd4izdraws2:/home/pi#

Hope we aren't chasing a princess riding a unicorn... sure seems like
it. Maybe better to just start with a clean image? Only thing bothers
me is that this happened twice on two different units. Only messing
with one to try to fix it.

Jack Spitznagel

OK... that seemed to do something: Console output:

pi@kd4izdraws2:~ $ dpkg -l "rpi-eeprom*"
||/ Name              Version      Architecture Description
+++-=================-============-============-================================
ii  rpi-eeprom        5.0-2        all          Raspberry Pi 4 boot EEPROM updat
ii  rpi-eeprom-images 5.0-2        all          Raspberry Pi 4 boot EEPROM image
lines 1-7/7 (END)

pi@kd4izdraws2:~ $ sudo su
root@kd4izdraws2:/home/pi# rm /var/lib/dpkg/info/rpi-eeprom-images*
root@kd4izdraws2:/home/pi# rm /var/cache/apt/archives/rpi-eeprom-images*
root@kd4izdraws2:/home/pi# apt-get remove rpi-eeprom-images
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  flashrom libftdi1-2 libusb-0.1-4
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  rpi-eeprom rpi-eeprom-images
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
After this operation, 7,798 kB disk space will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
dpkg: warning: files list file for package 'rpi-eeprom-images' missing; assuming package has no files currently installed
(Reading database ... 119485 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing rpi-eeprom (5.0-2) ...
Removing rpi-eeprom-images (5.0-2) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.8.5-2) ...
root@kd4izdraws2:/home/pi# apt-get install rpi-eeprom rpi-eeprom-images
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  rpi-eeprom rpi-eeprom-images
0 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 204 kB/221 kB of archives.
After this operation, 7,798 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian buster/main armhf rpi-eeprom-images all 5.0-2 [204 kB]
Fetched 204 kB in 1s (374 kB/s)
Selecting previously unselected package rpi-eeprom-images.
(Reading database ... 119475 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../rpi-eeprom-images_5.0-2_all.deb ...
Unpacking rpi-eeprom-images (5.0-2) ...
Selecting previously unselected package rpi-eeprom.
Preparing to unpack .../rpi-eeprom_5.0-2_all.deb ...
Unpacking rpi-eeprom (5.0-2) ...
Setting up rpi-eeprom-images (5.0-2) ...
Setting up rpi-eeprom (5.0-2) ...
Processing triggers for man-db (2.8.5-2) ...
root@kd4izdraws2:/home/pi# dpkg -l "rpi-eeprom*"
||/ Name              Version      Architecture Description
+++-=================-============-============-================================
ii  rpi-eeprom        5.0-2        all          Raspberry Pi 4 boot EEPROM updat
ii  rpi-eeprom-images 5.0-2        all          Raspberry Pi 4 boot EEPROM image
lines 1-7/7 (END)

root@kd4izdraws2:/home/pi#

I'll try to install "xscreensaver" with apt-get to see if I can do that now.

Thanks!
--
Jack - KD4IZ

Jack Spitznagel

Very Good. Was able to install what I needed. That fixed it.
Not sure what I did to cause the file corruption, but dpkg behaves itself now.
Back to "prime time". Much obliged.

--
Jack - KD4IZ