Topics

DRAWS to Elecraft KX3

Gwen Patton

Ok, I just want to toss this out and see if I'm even in the ballpark.

The DRAWS comes with a couple of 6-pin mini-DIN cables. Excellent.
I'll supply a Pi3b+, or would a regular 3b be better?

Do those 6 pin mini-DIN jacks have the signal lines necessary to connect the DRAWS to an Elecraft KX3's mic and phones jacks with the correct TRRS connectors? Anyone know off their head how to wire that? I can figure it out if I have to, but has anyone already figured out this wiring?

My plan is a portable QRP digital mode station...or maybe using the 100W amp with it. I'm basically doing that right now, with a USB sound card dongle connected to my ASUS VivoMini Win10 workbench PC. I'm thinking the DRAWS/Pi, headless maybe with a form of VNC, connecting to a Chromebook or tablet for input/output for the various software packages being used, would be a compact and self-contained portable digital station. Have I got this right? I hope so, I already ordered the DRAWS. ;)

Gwen, NG3P

The pinout for the mini DIN-6 is the same as has been used for 'packet' ports on Yaesu, Kenwood, Icom, .... for years.

On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 10:39 PM Gwen Patton <ardrhi@...> wrote:
[...]

Frank Ivan

The mini-6 din has what is needed to make a “cable” to the mic and headphone jacks on the KX3.  You can also make a plug for the 4 x 2 connector on the DRAWS with a RS-232 level shifter chip to drive the ACC jack of the KX3 to control the rig.

I am using a pi headless to drive a Rigblaster to a KX3 and when the band is very active, the pi takes too long to decode the input.  I am going to try to get a NanoPi-M4 to interface to the DRAWS and will post the result along with the cable to the KX3.

Frank K0FEI

On Oct 18, 2018, at 11:39 PM, Gwen Patton <ardrhi@...> wrote:

[...]

Corky Searls

Yes, all of the necessary signal lines are present and it works great with either a KX2 or KX3 (both use the same cable). I can post a copy of the connections for the cable early next week.

Thanks,
-Corky

On Oct 19, 2018, at 12:39 AM, Gwen Patton <ardrhi@...> wrote:

[...]

Annaliese McDermond

On Oct 19, 2018, at 1:38 AM, Frank Ivan via Groups.Io <k0fei=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
I am going to try to get a NanoPi-M4 to interface to the DRAWS and will post the result along with the cable to the KX3.
The UDRC driver expects to see a bcm2835 i2s device to set up the DAI links. You’ll need to write a new ASoC driver if the I2S device isn’t compatible with the bcm2835 one, which is pretty likely. The UDRC glue driver source is at:

https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/linux/blob/udr/mcdermj/sound/soc/bcm/udrc.c

You’ll also need to set up the device tree to link up the correct i2c device to the whole thing and cause it to load. See the UDRC’s device tree

https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/linux/blob/udr/mcdermj/arch/arm/boot/dts/overlays/udrc-overlay.dts

You might also be able to hack up a device tree using the ASoC simple_card driver to glue them both together instead. See the docs at https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/linux/blob/master/Documentation/devicetree/bindings/sound/simple-card.txt.

Note that while sometimes you might get me to opine vaguely about possibilities and where to look, neither I nor NWDR support using the DRAWS/UDRC on anything but a RPi.

Frank K0FEI
--
Annaliese McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems

Frank Ivan

Thank you Annaliese.

I have been writing OS’s and device drivers for more years than I like to think about.

You have given me what I think I need and I won’t bug you. I will make anything I get going available in a GitHub repo.

Thanks and 73 Frank - K0FEI

On Oct 19, 2018, at 10:07 PM, Annaliese McDermond <nh6z@...> wrote:

[...]

David Wagner 1