Topics

DRAWS™ Latest Board Run Defect (Standby) #draws #recall

We have discovered that a capacitor was installed in the audio filter chain that can prevent certain applications from functioning properly.

We apologize that this was not detected before the boards were shipped.

In the next few days we will publish instructions for those who would like to do a field repair.

At the same time we will provide instructions on how to have NW Digital Radio perform the repair.

Please do not return your boards before instructions are provided.

Director

Edouard Lafargue

  Thanks for the update!

  Could this explain why my recent DRAWs board (2 weeks old) doesn't work at all with the default TM-V71A alsa settings that ship with your image ? I mean the `setalsa-tmv71a.sh` script. I had to create a very different set of settings in order to get other stations to demodulate my AFSK-1200 properly...

Ed

On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 12:30 PM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

We have discovered that a capacitor was installed in the audio filter chain that can prevent certain applications from functioning properly.

We apologize that this was not detected before the boards were shipped.

In the next few days we will publish instructions for those who would like to do a field repair.

At the same time we will provide instructions on how to have NW Digital Radio perform the repair.

Please do not return your boards before instructions are provided.

Director

Here is there info needed to address the problem:

The Audio output has an RC Filter of 100ohms and 0.1uF for a -3dB frequency of 16kHz.

The boards were stuffed with 10uF instead for a 160Hz cutoff.

The filter is not really necessary so the caps may be removed.

If you do the rework yourself, send an email to sales@... with REWORK <order#> as the subject and we will refund $10.

Or you may send the board only to:

NW Digital Radio
REWORK<order#>
150 Cessna Ave
Friday Harbor WA 908250

We will rework it for you and refund $5 for the postage

We have updated our manufacturing test to provide better coverage.

Thanks,
Bryan K7UDR

Chris Metcalf

How do we check to see if our board is one of the affected boards?

On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 1:36 PM Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:
Here is there info needed to address the problem:

The Audio output has an RC Filter of 100ohms and 0.1uF for a -3dB frequency of 16kHz.

The boards were stuffed with 10uF instead for a 160Hz cutoff.

The filter is not really necessary so the caps may be removed.

If you do the rework yourself, send an email to sales@... with REWORK <order#> as the subject and we will refund $10.

Or you may send the board only to:

NW Digital Radio
REWORK<order#>
150 Cessna Ave
Friday Harbor WA 908250

We will rework it for you and refund $5 for the postage

We have updated our manufacturing test to provide better coverage.

Thanks,
Bryan K7UDR

This only affects Rev 6. The boards with the SMA next to the power connector.

Bryan K7UDR

K4KDR

Thanks for all the info that's been shared!

Is there a way to identify the affected boards from the O/S?  GUI or command line either one?

Or, is it just every board with the SMA connector down at the end opposite the USB & ethernet jacks?

Thanks!

-Scott,  K4KDR

==========================

On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 6:24 PM Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:
This only affects Rev 6. The boards with the SMA next to the power connector.

Bryan K7UDR

Every board with the SMA change.

On Sep 20, 2019, at 3:29 PM, K4KDR <scott23192@...> wrote:

Thanks for all the info that's been shared!

Is there a way to identify the affected boards from the O/S?  GUI or command line either one?

Or, is it just every board with the SMA connector down at the end opposite the USB & ethernet jacks?

Thanks!

-Scott,  K4KDR

==========================

On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 6:24 PM Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:
This only affects Rev 6. The boards with the SMA next to the power connector.

Bryan K7UDR

Edouard Lafargue

  Is there any benefit putting the right value caps back in place rather than just removing them?

Ed

On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 1:36 PM Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:
Here is there info needed to address the problem:

The Audio output has an RC Filter of 100ohms and 0.1uF for a -3dB frequency of 16kHz.

The boards were stuffed with 10uF instead for a 160Hz cutoff.

The filter is not really necessary so the caps may be removed.

If you do the rework yourself, send an email to sales@... with REWORK <order#> as the subject and we will refund $10.

Or you may send the board only to:

NW Digital Radio
REWORK<order#>
150 Cessna Ave
Friday Harbor WA 908250

We will rework it for you and refund $5 for the postage

We have updated our manufacturing test to provide better coverage.

Thanks,
Bryan K7UDR

The output of the DAC is clean so there is no benefit from that standpoint. There may be some value in reducing RFI from the radio but I can’t prove that.

On Sep 21, 2019, at 5:23 PM, Edouard Lafargue <edouard@...> wrote:

  Is there any benefit putting the right value caps back in place rather than just removing them?

Ed

On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 1:36 PM Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:
Here is there info needed to address the problem:

The Audio output has an RC Filter of 100ohms and 0.1uF for a -3dB frequency of 16kHz.

The boards were stuffed with 10uF instead for a 160Hz cutoff.

The filter is not really necessary so the caps may be removed.

<DRAWS6Rework.png>

If you do the rework yourself, send an email to sales@... with REWORK <order#> as the subject and we will refund $10.

Or you may send the board only to:

NW Digital Radio
REWORK<order#>
150 Cessna Ave
Friday Harbor WA 908250

We will rework it for you and refund $5 for the postage

We have updated our manufacturing test to provide better coverage.

Thanks,
Bryan K7UDR

The output of the DAC is clean so the filter is unnecessary from that standpoint. There may be some value from an RFI standpoint but you would be better off with a Ferrite on the Radio Cable.

[...]

Thanks Bryan!

  In any case, the rework was useful - default alsamixer settings that are shipped with the n7nix repository now work out of the box...

Ed

On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 9:25 AM Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:
[...]

Jim Erickson

Apologies if this is a silly question, but how will the bug manifest itself?  What applications would be affected and in what way are they affected.  I haven’t pulled my board out of it’s case to judge how difficult it will be to perform the work myself but am curious what happens if I leave the board as is?

Thanks
Jim
------
73,
Jim
VA7SHG - Phone
VE7TGZ - Other

On Sep 15, 2019, at 12:30, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

We have discovered that a capacitor was installed in the audio filter chain that can prevent certain applications from functioning properly.

We apologize that this was not detected before the boards were shipped.

In the next few days we will publish instructions for those who would like to do a field repair.

At the same time we will provide instructions on how to have NW Digital Radio perform the repair.

Please do not return your boards before instructions are provided.

Director

Hi Jim,

First off, if the GPS antenna connector is on the same side as the Mini DIN-6 Connectors your board is not affected.

Many low bandwidth HF Programs may work but you will need to raise the level. 1200 Baud Packet is a non-starter.

Bryan K7UDR

On Sep 22, 2019, at 12:05 PM, Jim Erickson <jim@...> wrote:

[...]

I share Jim's question and appreciate your response!  However, it still leaves me reluctant to make any alterations, as everything (including 1200 Baud Packet) works perfectly.  By everything, of course I mean what I've tried so far which would be JS8Call, FT8, ARDOP Winlink, & 1200 Baud Packet in the form of Winlink, Terrestrial APRS, & satellite APRS.

I did have to increase the levels higher than had been suggested in the documentation & as seen in various online comments that various people have been kind enough to contribute, but just thought perhaps that was specific to my FT-857d:

Screenshot from 2019-09-22 15-13-07.png

... so I suppose the obvious course if action is "If it's not broke, don't fix it", but naturally I don't want to impede my ability to do everything I might want to with this setup down the road.  When time permits I'll carefully remove those caps and see what changes.

Thanks again.

-Scott,  K4KDR

======================

On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 3:09 PM Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:
[...]

The issue with large gain settings is you drive the DAC into clipping, which won’t damage anything but the waveform will be distorted.

I’ll do some tests in the lab tomorrow and post results.

Bryan K7UDR

Chris Metcalf

If we send our boards back for repair, what's the likely turnaround time?

FWIW, I'm just a couple hours south in Seattle.

On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 12:36 PM Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:
The issue with large gain settings is you drive the DAC into clipping, which won’t damage anything but the waveform will be distorted.

I’ll do some tests in the lab tomorrow and post results.

Bryan K7UDR

2 days here

On Sep 22, 2019, at 3:14 PM, Chris Metcalf <chris@...> wrote:

If we send our boards back for repair, what's the likely turnaround time?

FWIW, I'm just a couple hours south in Seattle.

On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 12:36 PM Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:
The issue with large gain settings is you drive the DAC into clipping, which won’t damage anything but the waveform will be distorted.

I’ll do some tests in the lab tomorrow and post results.

Bryan K7UDR

Chris Metcalf

Are you guys just removing the bad caps like we would, or are you replacing them with the correct ones? I can stand to be without my board for that long, so sending it back sounds like a good option to me.

On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 3:28 PM Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:
2 days here

On Sep 22, 2019, at 3:14 PM, Chris Metcalf <chris@...> wrote:

If we send our boards back for repair, what's the likely turnaround time?

FWIW, I'm just a couple hours south in Seattle.

On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 12:36 PM Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:
The issue with large gain settings is you drive the DAC into clipping, which won’t damage anything but the waveform will be distorted.

I’ll do some tests in the lab tomorrow and post results.

Bryan K7UDR

We are just pulling the caps.

On Sep 22, 2019, at 3:34 PM, Chris Metcalf <chris@...> wrote:

Are you guys just removing the bad caps like we would, or are you replacing them with the correct ones? I can stand to be without my board for that long, so sending it back sounds like a good option to me.

On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 3:28 PM Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:
2 days here

On Sep 22, 2019, at 3:14 PM, Chris Metcalf <chris@...> wrote:

If we send our boards back for repair, what's the likely turnaround time?

FWIW, I'm just a couple hours south in Seattle.

On Sun, Sep 22, 2019 at 12:36 PM Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:
The issue with large gain settings is you drive the DAC into clipping, which won’t damage anything but the waveform will be distorted.

I’ll do some tests in the lab tomorrow and post results.

Bryan K7UDR

Jim Erickson

Thanks Bryan, I understand and my board is an affected one.  While I’m not far from you, I am across the border so am a little reluctant to ship it. I may jump across the border and ship it from Sumas, though I may still try to repair myself.  Any chance maybe someone could do a quick video on how to do the repair or provide a little more detailed instruction?

Thanks
Jim
------
73,