Topics

dstarrepeaterd fails to start

Dave KA2OQZ

I just configured the UDRC with a DR-1x repeater last night. I followed the process and everything seemed to be working last night, I did run the command to autostart the service. Everything seemed to be working fine with DSTAR and FUSION. I shut it down and went to bed, I restarted everyhting today and the dstarrepeater service is showing failed. I tried to stop and start again but no luck. I'm not sure how to begin troubleshooting. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Dave

KA2OQZ

Start by reviewing the logs in /var/log/opendv

On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 3:30 PM, Dave KA2OQZ <kdcarlso@...> wrote:

I just configured the UDRC with a DR-1x repeater last night. I followed the process and everything seemed to be working last night, I did run the command to autostart the service. Everything seemed to be working fine with DSTAR and FUSION. I shut it down and went to bed, I restarted everyhting today and the dstarrepeater service is showing failed. I tried to stop and start again but no luck. I'm not sure how to begin troubleshooting. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Dave

KA2OQZ

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223

Dave KA2OQZ

I did that and the dstarrepeaterd_1.log log is empty. I'm running it as a daemon.

Dave

KA2OQZ

Look in /var/log/syslog

On Feb 23, 2017 17:13, "Dave KA2OQZ" <kdcarlso@...> wrote:

I did that and the dstarrepeaterd_1.log log is empty. I'm running it as a daemon.

Dave

KA2OQZ

Dave KA2OQZ

This is the error in the log.

Feb 24 01:36:44 compass systemd[1]: Started D-STAR Repeater Daemon.
Feb 24 01:36:44 compass dstarrepeaterd[1206]: Fatal Error: Assertion failed on line 277 in file Common/SerialDataController.cpp and function CSerialDataController: !device.IsEmpty()
Feb 24 01:36:44 compass systemd[1]: dstarrepeaterd@1.service: main process exited, code=killed, status=6/ABRT

I'm pretty sure it's a misconfiguration. A UDRC shouldn't even be touching that code. Try going through your configuration for dstarrepeater. Email me the config file if you can't get it sorted out.

On Feb 23, 2017 16:33, "Dave KA2OQZ" <kdcarlso@...> wrote:

I just configured the UDRC with a DR-1x repeater last night. I followed the process and everything seemed to be working last night, I did run the command to autostart the service. Everything seemed to be working fine with DSTAR and FUSION. I shut it down and went to bed, I restarted everyhting today and the dstarrepeater service is showing failed. I tried to stop and start again but no luck. I'm not sure how to begin troubleshooting. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Dave

KA2OQZ

Dave KA2OQZ

I didn't want to waste time so I went and grabbed the seed file for the config and and added the calls and that fixed the service. It was running but nothing was being repeated.

I finally gave up figuring something else was messed up as well. This was all working originally before I turned it off and called it a night so I copied a fresh image of compass to a new card and installed per directions again but still nothing is repeated.

If I take the repeater out of HRI mode the DR-1x works fine. I can get FM & Fusion to repeat.

Once I take the repeater out of HRI mode, when the UDRC/Pi is connected the repeater will not go back into HRI mode. I hold the setup button and it just boots into repeater mode within a second or two. If I disconnect the cable then I can follow the same process and put the repeater into HRI mode without issue. I connect the cable and nothing is repeated.

I did check for continuity between all of the pins on the cable and did my best to check for shorts and see no issue there. The repeater is brand new and running the 1.10Q version of code.

Thanks,

Dave

KA2OQZ

You cannot run with an HRI and any other controller (like the UDRC) attached at the same time.  It is not supported by Yaesu.

You will need unplug the HRI.  If you want to run D-STAR and WIRESX, you will need to put the HRI on a node radio.

On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 6:36 PM, Dave KA2OQZ <kdcarlso@...> wrote:

[...]

I did see that you can't run both locally. Disapointing but understandable. The cause of the issue was a rookie mistake. I confused HRI mode with remote mode :-(. I'm still not sure why it worked the first time but I do have everything running now. The only hangup seems to be Dynamic DNS, I see my dashboard locally but not remote and I don't show as active on the ircddb web site. The ircddb folks say dyanmic DNS was activated but it's not resolving. Is there a place to enable it on my end? I've searched through all the docs and don't see anything. Hopefully this is my last dumb question. Thank you...

The Dynamic DNS is completely controlled on the ircddb.net site.

If you are properly configured to report in to ircddb.net (callsign, password, selected server group) then you should show up on the ircddb.net site -- and if requested dynamic DNS from ircddb.net you should also have a dynamic DNS name.

It is critically important for troubleshooting that you always provide the callsign of the gateway/repeater in question (in each communication).  We can look into a few things if we know that.

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 8:00 AM, Dave KA2OQZ <kdcarlso@...> wrote:

I did see that you can't run both locally. Disapointing but understandable. The cause of the issue was a rookie mistake. I confused HRI mode with remote mode :-(. I'm still not sure why it worked the first time but I do have everything running now. The only hangup seems to be Dynamic DNS, I see my dashboard locally but not remote and I don't show as active on the ircddb web site. The ircddb folks say dyanmic DNS was activated but it's not resolving. Is there a place to enable it on my end? I've searched through all the docs and don't see anything. Hopefully this is my last dumb question. Thank you...

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223

Dave KA2OQZ

Sorry, it's W2XRX

As an alternate you can get to your dashboard using http://w2xrx.dgw.ar-dns.net/

You don't appear to be reporting in to ircddb.net -- review https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/Configuring-ircDDBgateway#ircddb-Network making sure you have your credentials in, using group-2 and that ircddb is enabled.

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 9:35 AM, Dave KA2OQZ <kdcarlso@...> wrote:
Sorry, it's W2XRX

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223

You also need to check the longitude in your configuration.

Remember you need to restart the gateway after configuration changes.

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 9:47 AM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
As an alternate you can get to your dashboard using http://w2xrx.dgw.ar-dns.net/

You don't appear to be reporting in to ircddb.net -- review https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/Configuring-ircDDBgateway#ircddb-Network making sure you have your credentials in, using group-2 and that ircddb is enabled.

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 9:35 AM, Dave KA2OQZ <kdcarlso@...> wrote:
Sorry, it's W2XRX

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223

Dave KA2OQZ

Must be an issue with copy and paste. I hand typed the password and that did it. I think I am good to go. Thank you for all of the help..

Yes, I see you reporting in now.  Sometimes cut and paste grabs an extra space which can bite you :)