Topics

Eureka!!!! She works perfectly!!

Michael Narges

Thanks to John and Bryan and many others the Draws Hat is outstanding!  I removed pin six on one end of the mini 6 Din cable and the lost audio returned as they said it would!!! Radio is an 817 which now works perfectly on Fldigi, WSJTX, and JS8CALL.
Thanks !

Mike. WF8O

Is this carefully explained somewhere? It seems a bit weird to have
to pull a pin from a data cable. (Or is it like the rPI 4 charging
cables...)

I removed pin six on one end of the mini 6 Din cable and the lost audio returned .. (on the FT 817)
Bill

SQL or COR is normally an open collator output from the Radio. Yaesu changed it to an I/O on some models. TNC Cable makers and some TNCs ship with cables that have pin 6 removed for this reason.

Bryan K7UDR

On Aug 28, 2019, at 7:56 PM, Bill Vodall <@wa7nwp> wrote:

Is this carefully explained somewhere? It seems a bit weird to have
to pull a pin from a data cable. (Or is it like the rPI 4 charging
cables...)

I removed pin six on one end of the mini 6 Din cable and the lost audio returned .. (on the FT 817)
Bill

Michael Narges

I read several posts here about the need to remove pin six.  John Hays and Bryan Hoyer particularly seemed to have solid reasons, and I merely took their helpful advice.  The Draws Hat is essentially a “black box” since there are no schematics published. However nothing succeeds like success!  Hope this trick works for you!

73. Mike Wf8o

On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 8:55 AM Michael Narges <mnarges23@...> wrote:
I read several posts here about the need to remove pin six.  John Hays and Bryan Hoyer particularly seemed to have solid reasons, and I merely took their helpful advice.  The Draws Hat is essentially a “black box” since there are no schematics published. However nothing succeeds like success!  Hope this trick works for you!

73. Mike Wf8o

Kingston, WA
K7VE

Michael Narges

Thanks for the documentation of the DRAWS Hat! Several questions are answered here.

Thanks,

Mike WF8O

Matt N7ROO

Do we need to remove pin 6 for FT-891s?

On Thu, Aug 29, 2019, 18:24 Michael Narges <mnarges23@...> wrote:
Thanks for the documentation of the DRAWS Hat! Several questions are answered here.

Thanks,

Mike WF8O

Chris Brown

I have had success sending and receiving on the 891 without removing pin 6.

Roderick Wayne Hart Sr.

I have been hunting audio out here with a FT-847. The receive works fine. Should I remove pin 6? Can someone explain why. I am using cables that were supplied with the Draws.

okiejim

I have the same trouble, I have the same radio. I have not tried for several months now. It did work on vhf and aprs with the supplied cables. I live in a trailer and just dont want to take a chance of shorting out the board during transports. I will give it another chance when I receive my case I ordered. Good luck and please advise this thread if you get it going or get an answer.

On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 3:58 PM Roderick Wayne Hart Sr. via Groups.Io <rod.hart=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
I have been hunting audio out here with a FT-847. The receive works fine. Should I remove pin 6? Can someone explain why. I am using cables that were supplied with the Draws.

Matt N7ROO

I removed pin 6 from both ends of the cable and it didn't seem to help in my case in my ft-891. In fact it was rather a step backwards as I no longer was receiving signals.

On Wed, Oct 2, 2019, 16:46 okiejim <kd6vpe@...> wrote:
I have the same trouble, I have the same radio. I have not tried for several months now. It did work on vhf and aprs with the supplied cables. I live in a trailer and just dont want to take a chance of shorting out the board during transports. I will give it another chance when I receive my case I ordered. Good luck and please advise this thread if you get it going or get an answer.

On Wed, Oct 2, 2019 at 3:58 PM Roderick Wayne Hart Sr. via Groups.Io <rod.hart=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
I have been hunting audio out here with a FT-847. The receive works fine. Should I remove pin 6? Can someone explain why. I am using cables that were supplied with the Draws.

Anthony Sutera

I have the 817 and have tried for weeks to get solid audio out to the radio.  Does anyone have a configuration that is really working ? If so please post it.  Thank you! Tony

The FT-817 is a heavily tested radio with the UDRC and DRAWS boards.  There are built-in configurations on the image.

What application(s) are you trying to setup?

The proper way to set audio levels is using Draws™ Manager  -- the FT-817 settings assume the FT-817 internal menu settings are at default, so you may want to do a factory reset on the radio.  Also note that removing the squelch pin (PIN 6) in the cable is generally required on Yaesu radios.

Have you followed the recall notes?  If you have a newer board with the SMA coming out the same end as the power jack, you should review the thread and specifically https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/message/3977

On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 3:10 PM <tsutera@...> wrote:
I have the 817 and have tried for weeks to get solid audio out to the radio.  Does anyone have a configuration that is really working ? If so please post it.  Thank you! Tony

Kingston, WA
K7VE

K4KDR

Appreciate all the info shared about this product!

I don't know about the FT-817, but my FT-857d works great with the latest DRAWS board using an un-modified 6-pin data cable (NO pins removed).  Just wanted to mention in case anyone with an FT-857d sees this post and wonders if they have to make any cable modifications.

-Scott,  K4KDR

On Sun, Oct 13, 2019 at 6:35 PM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
[...]

Hello John,

I am running WSJT-X.  I have one of the boards that had the issue.  I removed both caps.  The RX audio works pretty well (but not quite as sensitive as my signal link).  I have tried multiple sets of cables with and without Pin6.  I ran the alsa command for the 817, played with multiple setting in the draws manager including changing to the right hand port.  The best I can get out the of the TX audio are occasional TX reports WSPR.

Thank you,
Tony

On Oct 13, 2019, at 4:34 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

[...]

Mitch Winkle

I found after my board was fixed by NWDR that DRAWS manger values were not even close to appropriate for using FLDIGI, particularly on receive.  I also had to recompile FLDIGI using configure defaults (using no parameters) before the audio settled down properly.  I find the receive audio to be quite good with an apparent low noise floor from the sound card.  Transmit audio seems fine as well.

FLDIGI has a process for setting audio that always works well, so I suggest using that rather than arbitrary values computed by DRAWS Manager.