Topics

FT-897 Setup

Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ

Has anyone connected their DRAWS to an FT-897 yet?  I am looking for some assistance.

Specifically, cabling needs for the setup.

It looks like from all I have read, I still need a USB to Serial to run any Rig Control outside of
PTT.

Is this correct?

Ruben .

I’m working on a similar issue with FT-857. Finally realized that I needed an additional cable for CAT. Ordered an 8-pin mini-din cable and located a source for the header connector.

I’ll post with results once CAT cable is configured.

Ruben
WA2NBL

On Nov 23, 2019, at 3:52 PM, Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ via Groups.Io <ewbloom@...> wrote:

Has anyone connected their DRAWS to an FT-897 yet?  I am looking for some assistance.

Specifically, cabling needs for the setup.

It looks like from all I have read, I still need a USB to Serial to run any Rig Control outside of
PTT.

Is this correct?

Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ

I have a -62 Cat to USB Serial on hand.  So, for the FT-897/857 we need two cables, one for CAT and one for Audio via the DRAWS.

So, to which port does DRAWS cable connect?

On 11/23/2019 6:07 PM, Ruben . wrote:
I’m working on a similar issue with FT-857. Finally realized that I needed an additional cable for CAT. Ordered an 8-pin mini-din cable and located a source for the header connector.

I’ll post with results once CAT cable is configured.

Ruben
WA2NBL

On Nov 23, 2019, at 3:52 PM, Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ via Groups.Io <ewbloom@...> wrote:

Has anyone connected their DRAWS to an FT-897 yet?  I am looking for some assistance.

Specifically, cabling needs for the setup.

It looks like from all I have read, I still need a USB to Serial to run any Rig Control outside of
PTT.

Is this correct?

Ruben .

There’s an 8 pin 4x2 header next to the power connector. Check below the schematic for pin-outs.

Ruben
WA2NBL

On Nov 23, 2019, at 5:23 PM, Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ via Groups.Io <ewbloom@...> wrote:

[...]

John Amdor III

I bought a USB CAT cable on eBay, and use one of the 6-pin mini-DIN cables that came with my DRAWS hat from the data jack on the back of my 897D to the left mini-DIN jack on the DRAWS.

So far it works with FLDIGI using FLRIG and with WSJT-X using Hamlib.

John K0MXL
Council Bluffs IA

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ

John, K0MXL,

Thank you. That is what I thought I needed to do.

Ed, KD9FRQ

On 11/24/2019 2:59 AM, John Amdor III wrote:
I bought a USB CAT cable on eBay, and use one of the 6-pin mini-DIN cables that came with my DRAWS hat from the data jack on the back of my 897D to the left mini-DIN jack on the DRAWS.

So far it works with FLDIGI using FLRIG and with WSJT-X using Hamlib.

John K0MXL
Council Bluffs IA

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

Ruben .

I connected a USB CAT 8 pin cable and the 6 pin mini din supplied with DRAWS hat and now have a working unit.

Still plan to make a cable to work with the 4x2 header on the DRAWS hat.

73,

Ruben