Topics

G90 / HamMadeParts Cable / FLDigi

Michael Sharp

Hello all,
I am beta-testing a new cable from HamMadeParts. I have the cable connected from the DRAWs Hat to the G90 ACC port. After some considerable configuration, I finally got it mostly working. Here is what I have so far:

Audio out can be directed from RPi to UDRC or through HDMI to monitor. I do hear CW or RTTY when I click T/R on the FLDigi screen

The radio will start to transmit. PTT does work, but... there is no signal being sent to the radio. No RTTY or CW to be seen on the G90’s display. I can hold down on my CW key, and see the old familiar spike on the display, but nothing seems to be going out of the DRAWs hat for any sort of modulation or signal, nor any transmission from the radio.

On the DRAWs manager, I have the IC-880AF rig chosen. In FLDigi, I have PTT tone on right channel audio selected, and in GPIO I have BCM 23 selected and on “= 1 (on)”

I’m pretty close to getting this to work, but need a little help. Xiegu has a CE-19 interface that provides PTT, AF, and DATA. i did have a look at all pins coming from the DRAWs Hat when T/R was active, but I did not see anything that looked like a signal coming from the DRAWs Hat.

Any help appreciated!

73,
-Michael / KD9MED

Basil Gunn

Provide the console output of:
udrcver.sh
alsa-show.sh
aplay -l

You should be routing AFOUT which will be IN2 R:[10 kOhm]
Make sure squelch is low or off.
What sound card device are you using for in the FLdigi Devices tab for
Capture & Playback?
Since you are beta testing a new cable, do you have another cable that
works?

but I did not see anything that looked like a signal coming from the
DRAWs Hat.
When transmitting check pin 1 on the DRAWS mDin6 connector both left &
right connectors, with out your data cable plugged in.

/Basil n7nix

[...]

Thank you for the reply Basil,
Just to be fair, I did a fresh install, and I still have the same results. I also have no audio of any kind coming from pin 1. My 'scope shows nothing, but interestingly, FLDigi show the waves internally on it's waterfall. I am only able to make the G90 respond to PTT, but still with no signal (CW or RTTY) being transmitted from the radio. I can certainly see received CW on the waterfall, so at least the audio Input seems to be working properly. Here is the output that you have requested:

73,
-Michael

pi@drawspi:~ $ udrcver.sh
Found a DRAWS

     HAT ID EEPROM
Name:        hat
Product:     Digital Radio Amateur Work Station
Product ID:  0x0004
Product ver: 0x0106
UUID:        901ce8ed-f8a7-4ae0-bdee-810e43b5e392
Vendor:      NW Digital Radio
pi@drawspi:~ $ alsa-show.sh
 ===== ALSA Controls for Radio Transmit =====
LO Driver Gain  L:[-6.00dB] R:[-6.00dB]
PCM         L:[24.00dB] R:[24.00dB]
DAC Playback PT L:[P3] R:[P3]
LO Playback CM [Full Chip]

 ===== ALSA Controls for Radio Receive =====
ADC Level L:[0.00dB] R:[0.00dB]
IN1 L:[Off] R:[Off]
IN2 L:[Off] R:[10 kOhm]
CM L:[10 kOhm] R:[10 kOhm]
pi@drawspi:~ $ aplay -l
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA]
  Subdevices: 7/7
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
  Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
  Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
  Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
  Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
  Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
  Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 1: bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 2: bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI1 [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI1]
  Subdevices: 1/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: udrc [udrc], device 0: bcm2835-i2s-tlv320aic32x4-hifi tlv320aic32x4-hifi-0 [bcm2835-i2s-tlv320aic32x4-hifi tlv320aic32x4-hifi-0]
  Subdevices: 0/1
  Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
pi@drawspi:~ $

Basil Gunn

To rule out left/right port connector problems:

https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/tree/master/deviation

Use n7nix/deviation/measure_deviate.sh

This script will put a tone on either left or right connector.
ie.
./measure_deviate.sh -c left
./measure_deviate.sh -c right

Set alsa controls:
LO Driver Gain left & right to 0.00
IN2 left & right to 10 Kohm

Check both left & right mDin6 pin 1 for each of the measure_deviate.sh
runs. Verify that you are using pin 1 of the mDin6 connector.

/Basil n7nix

Michael Sharp <nexxusix@...> writes:

[...]

Hello Basil,
I tried running the test. It seems left or right channel still does not have a signal. Being that the Raspberry Pi has at least two sound drivers on it, I made sure that the UDRC soundcard was the default system.

I also use the DRAWs Manager page and set all levels to zero, and also in the Audio driver page (Right Click on speaker icon on RPi task bar) I set all IN2 to 10k. I noticed there was both Positive and Negative, so both were set to 10k. I hope I did this correctly.

Please advise, and thank you for your help,
-Michael

Michael Sharp

Replying to my own thread here, since I seem to be without any progress. I’m beginning to think I might have been sold a defective DRAWS Hat. When I execute the command: ./measure_deviate.sh -c right, I get only a momentary dip in output voltage from Pin 1. Please see attached oscilloscope image. Something doesn’t seem right here. I would expect a signal at this pin, perhaps a sine wave?

Hi Michael,

I’ve been away for a bit but I’m back in the lab.

What you are seeing is the CODEC Turning on and the DC Bias charging up the coupling Cap. At this point yes you should see a sine wave. This at least verifies the connection.

There was an issue with incorrect components being stuffed on some units. You may have one of these.

We can either try to troubleshoot it or just RMA it so I can check it out.

NW Digital Radio
150 Cessna Ave
RMA<order number>
Roche Harbor WA 98250

Thanks,
Bryan K7UDR

On Mar 19, 2020, at 12:46 PM, Michael Sharp via Groups.Io <nexxusix@...> wrote:

Replying to my own thread here, since I seem to be without any progress. I’m beginning to think I might have been sold a defective DRAWS Hat. When I execute the command: ./measure_deviate.sh -c right, I get only a momentary dip in output voltage from Pin 1. Please see attached oscilloscope image. Something doesn’t seem right here. I would expect a signal at this pin, perhaps a sine wave?

<FB8EB6B4-4BC5-4285-94BE-E2ADEB9C7360.jpeg>

Contact sales@...

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 12:46 PM Michael Sharp via Groups.Io <nexxusix=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Replying to my own thread here, since I seem to be without any progress. I’m beginning to think I might have been sold a defective DRAWS Hat. When I execute the command: ./measure_deviate.sh -c right, I get only a momentary dip in output voltage from Pin 1. Please see attached oscilloscope image. Something doesn’t seem right here. I would expect a signal at this pin, perhaps a sine wave?

Kingston, WA
K7VE

Michael Sharp

OK. Well, this makes a lot of sense then, and probably the reason why I don’t have the proper output. If you think the wrong components have been installed, then I guess I can request an RMA at this point.

Thank you for responding to this issue.

-Michael

Send it to:

NW Digital Radio
150 Cessna Ave
RMA<order number>
Roche Harbor WA 98250

On Mar 19, 2020, at 1:57 PM, Michael Sharp via Groups.Io <nexxusix@...> wrote:

OK. Well, this makes a lot of sense then, and probably the reason why I don’t have the proper output. If you think the wrong components have been installed, then I guess I can request an RMA at this point.

Thank you for responding to this issue.

-Michael

Michael Sharp

Hello John,
Thank you for the reply. I have sent an email requesting an RMA. I do not know what my order number is at the moment. I will send you the information with my shipping address for verification.

Thank you,
-Michael

Michael,

Bryan/Sales needs the information -- we are not colocated.

Thanks.

On Thu, Mar 19, 2020 at 2:07 PM Michael Sharp via Groups.Io <nexxusix=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello John,
Thank you for the reply. I have sent an email requesting an RMA. I do not know what my order number is at the moment. I will send you the information with my shipping address for verification.

Thank you,
-Michael

Kingston, WA
K7VE