Topics

has anyone wired up the AQlinco DR-135T MkIII yet?

Charlie Hein

I'm looking at the manual for the radio's DB-9 data port and the DRAWS port pin outs and connection  looks pretty straightforward, but I have at least one question...

The radio and the DRAWS board both have squelch indication on the ports, but:
The radio manual says "SQC squelch signal output.  Carrier in: closed.  Open collector output."
The DRAWS documentation says "Pullup to 5V"

Just want to confirm that it's safe to connect the radio's squelch indicator pin (pin 1) to the DRAWS port's SQL pin (pin 6) directly or if it's just safer to leave it off or if a circuit of some sort is needed to isolate them from each other.  I'd like to have squelch indication if it's safe to do so.

Charlie

Basil Gunn

When I search the forum I get 21 entries relating to Alinco
DR-135/235/435MkIII radios. You might find some of those posts useful.

I use the HAM Made Parts cable which works well.
ALINCO DR-135 / 235 - DB9 MALE TO 6 PIN MINI DIN PLUG - N.W. DIGITAL 1200 & 9600 BAUD WIRING
https://hammadeparts.com/shop-for-cables/ols/products/alinco-dr-135-235-db9-packet-port-db9-male-to-6-pin-mini-din

This cables uses a 10k ohm resistor so as to not load the mic audio line when
connected to a DRAWS hat.

Charlie Hein <chein@...> writes:

I'm looking at the manual for the radio's DB-9 data port and the DRAWS
port pin outs and connection looks pretty straightforward, but I have
at least one question...

The radio and the DRAWS board both have squelch indication on the
ports, but: The radio manual says "SQC squelch signal output. Carrier
in: closed. Open collector output." The DRAWS documentation says
"Pullup to 5V"

Just want to confirm that it's safe to connect the radio's squelch
indicator pin (pin 1) to the DRAWS port's SQL pin (pin 6) directly or
if it's just safer to leave it off or if a circuit of some sort is
needed to isolate them from each other. I'd like to have squelch
indication if it's safe to do so.

Charlie

Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ

I have two hooked up!!!

But I purchased my cable from HamMadeparts..

Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ
ewbloom@...
Sent from Webmail access

I'm looking at the manual for the radio's DB-9 data port and the DRAWS port pin outs and connection  looks pretty straightforward, but I have at least one question...

The radio and the DRAWS board both have squelch indication on the ports, but:
The radio manual says "SQC squelch signal output.  Carrier in: closed.  Open collector output."
The DRAWS documentation says "Pullup to 5V"

Just want to confirm that it's safe to connect the radio's squelch indicator pin (pin 1) to the DRAWS port's SQL pin (pin 6) directly or if it's just safer to leave it off or if a circuit of some sort is needed to isolate them from each other.  I'd like to have squelch indication if it's safe to do so.

Charlie

Charlie Hein

For Ed and Basil:

@ED (and all): I'm really mostly interested in understanding:

- if the squelch indication pin input on the DRWAS board can be connected safely *as is* (as the Alinco has a squelch indication pin output on its interface)

- or if there needs to be some additional circuitry added to do this safely

- or if it's even really beneficial at all to hook it up in the first place.

I've heard nothing but good things about the radio and I'm really looking forward to getting it on the air.  If I don't hear anything conclusive regarding this before it's time to concoct the interface cable, I'll simply leave the squelch unconnected, as I know for sure that the radio will work without it.

That being said, the geek in me really wants to hook it up if it can work, but the guy in me who's funding this project wants to avoid any damage to the DRAWS board or the radio if the pins are somehow incompatible.

@BASIL:  are you using the cable for 9600 or 1200 baud?  Let me know because at the moment I'm thinking that's for the 9600 baud input to DRAWS.

I see the 9600 bps output pin from the radio (that would go to the DISCOUT pin #4 on the DRAWS radio port if I'm reading this right) is a 10Kohm circuit - according to the Alinco user guide.  That might be why there's a resistor on that pin (it makes sense anyway), and all the other inputs and outputs from the radio are 600 ohm.

Charlie