Help - configuring Fldigi with DRAWS hat and FT897D

Annoyed

Hello all,

I got the hat connected and running, and a HamPi image burned to an SD card - and I have my 897 connected to the DRAWS hat, but I can't seem to get audio into Fldigi.  I've tried both DIN outputs on the DRAWS hat, and my radio is in DIG mode, but I don't see anything on the waterfall.  I suspect there may be some kind of configuration issue with the audio cards.  Can anyone help?

Thanks!

There was a recent (last few months) upgrade to the Raspbian kernel which broke the drivers for the CODEC (sound chip) and serial port (that talks to the GPS) on the DRAWS™.  The code to patch the kernel has been submitted and needs to be included in builds for the kernel.

Start with the image at http://nwdig.net/downloads/ (current and nwdr19 point to the same file).  Then read Basil's posts about the issue at https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/topic/82017254#5655

Ham-Pi will eventually get the fixes implemented and one could retrofit the older kernel now, but to get up and running now use the NWDR image and follow the discussions here.

On Fri, Apr 16, 2021 at 7:16 AM tf8888 via groups.io <tf8888=sudomail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello all,

I got the hat connected and running, and a HamPi image burned to an SD card - and I have my 897 connected to the DRAWS hat, but I can't seem to get audio into Fldigi.  I've tried both DIN outputs on the DRAWS hat, and my radio is in DIG mode, but I don't see anything on the waterfall.  I suspect there may be some kind of configuration issue with the audio cards.  Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Kingston, WA
K7VE / WRJT-215

Basil Gunn

I got the hat connected and running, and a HamPi image burned to an SD
card
Currently the HamPi image will not work because the latest Linux kernel used by
Raspberry Pi OS (since first week in January, ver 5.10.x) broke the tlv320aic32x4
codec driver and the sc16is7xx serial driver. The fixes for both of
these drivers have been committed to the Linux kernel and Raspbian kernel
repositories and are waiting for release.

https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/pull/4272
https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux/pull/4273

In general when first starting out with a DRAWS hat you should use the
NWDR image that is regularly tested with DRAWS and has a kernel with
drivers that work.

There are new updated initial configuration instructions here:
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/docs/DRAWS_CONFIG.md

There are detailed FLdigi instructions for the older UDRC II hat that
maybe helpful here:
https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/1834

There are some brief FLdigi instructions for a DRAWS hat here:
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/docs/DRAWS_CONFIG_HF.md

Also the NWDR image comes with many (hopefully) useful scripts to aid in
setup & debug of any problems you might have. For instance to set up the
ALSA settings for a Yaesu FT-891 run the following script which you will
not find on the HAMPi image.

setalsa-ft891.sh

- and I have my 897 connected to the DRAWS hat, but I can't seem
to get audio into Fldigi. I've tried both DIN outputs on the DRAWS
hat, and my radio is in DIG mode, but I don't see anything on the
waterfall. I suspect there may be some kind of configuration issue
with the audio cards. Can anyone help?

Annoyed

No joy.

I've been working with this thing for a while, and there's always something.  This driver got updated, that one didn't, you didn't hold your mouth right while updating the flux capacitor's bin and it broke the turboencabulator's connection to the bacon ring array, and on and on.

Neat idea, but only if your hobby is tinkering with things for days until they work.  There needs to be an image that WORKS out of the box.

Thanks...

The NWDR images from Basil are well tested using applications with DRAWS™.

Plug and play is close, but there is configuration which has dependencies on knowing the specifics of the radios which are being interfaced.

On Sat, Apr 17, 2021 at 10:29 AM Annoyed via groups.io <tf8888=sudomail.com@groups.io> wrote:
No joy.

I've been working with this thing for a while, and there's always something.  This driver got updated, that one didn't, you didn't hold your mouth right while updating the flux capacitor's bin and it broke the turboencabulator's connection to the bacon ring array, and on and on.

Neat idea, but only if your hobby is tinkering with things for days until they work.  There needs to be an image that WORKS out of the box.

Thanks...

Kingston, WA
K7VE / WRJT-215

Annoyed

I spent another six+hours messing with it, and reading all the issues others have had with this product.  I think I'll be returning it.  Thanks for your assistance.

Contact sales@...