Topics

Help understanding prompts for address entry for AX.25 Ports in initial config.

Charlie Hein

I'm gonna have a million questions, I apologize right up front for that.  I will stipulate to ignorance, no question about it.  Just help me to understand, and when the light bulb finally comes on I'll help everyone I can to get there too, I swear.

Right now, I do not understand exactly what you're looking for in the startup script when you ask for addresses for ports 1 and 2 on the AX.25 setup.  Is this a stand alone network that needs to be set up and I put two IP addresses in there for the ports?  Are these actually SSID's that folks will connect to?  Are these just names used for reference?  Please explain.

Charlie

Mike B

I will paraphrase...but essentially it says if you know you have to put something there then put it in, other wise just press enter to use the default.

So in your case, I would just use the default...that is what I did...and I think almost everyone else did.

Charlie Hein

Also, once I've run the config script, where do you go to add the addresses after the fact?

Assuming that I'm missing where to find this information, I'd be completely fine with a polite instruction to RTFM as long as you can point me to it.  I'm totally okay burying my face in the manuals.

Charlie

Charlie Hein

Hi Mike - okay, so the next best question in that case would be "what *are* the defaults, why is it ok to use them - what are they for, and when will I need them?"

Oh, that is definitely more than one question... <grin>

Charlie

Mike B

Basil Gunn

Right now, I do not understand exactly what you're looking for in the
startup script when you ask for addresses for ports 1 and 2 on the
AX.25 setup. Please explain.
The two IP addresses are used by kissattach (see ax25-upd script).
They can be changed after initial configuration in /etc/ax25/port.conf
file.

From ax25-upd script

$SBINDIR/kissattach ${pseudoterm_1} ${PORTNAME_1} ${IPADDR}

run: man kissattach
to learn more.

The ip address specified can be used for routing since it is attached to
a Network Device. If you are not going to route packets to another
interface (most people don't) then the address is a place holder for
historical reasons.