Topics

Hotspot intermittent Dstar Rx

abe@...
 

Using UDRC with IC208H as a hotspot. Signals from the 30C reflector are transmitted by the 208H flawlessly and consistently. However it takes a couple key ups from my Dstar HT before the dstarrepeater recognizes my signal and passes it along to the ircddbgateway.  Once this occurs stations report by audio over the reflector is 100% quality, and I'm also then able to change reflectors with commands from the HT.  But it consistently requires several key ups before transmissions are recognized, all the time. Any suggestions?

 

This is a little hard to check out remotely.  Here is what I would check:

1. Be certain the receive side has a clean path to the 208's discriminator
2. Turn off squelch, if the radio doesn't leave squelch open on its discriminator tap
3. Adjust alsamixer on the receive side (though the UDRC is very forgiving on level, its possible its too low or high)

"
"Detection level is set in alsamixer with the ADC setting"  -- https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/UDRC%E2%84%A2-For-Simplex-Hotspots-and-Converted-Analog-Repeaters#Troubleshooting

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 7:05 AM, <abe@...> wrote:

Using UDRC with IC208H as a hotspot. Signals from the 30C reflector are transmitted by the 208H flawlessly and consistently. However it takes a couple key ups from my Dstar HT before the dstarrepeater recognizes my signal and passes it along to the ircddbgateway.  Once this occurs stations report by audio over the reflector is 100% quality, and I'm also then able to change reflectors with commands from the HT.  But it consistently requires several key ups before transmissions are recognized, all the time. Any suggestions?




--


John D. Hays
K7VE

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223
   

 

And make sure you are not too close to the hotspot antenna with the HT in high power.

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 10:11 AM, John D. Hays <john@...> wrote:
This is a little hard to check out remotely.  Here is what I would check:

1. Be certain the receive side has a clean path to the 208's discriminator
2. Turn off squelch, if the radio doesn't leave squelch open on its discriminator tap
3. Adjust alsamixer on the receive side (though the UDRC is very forgiving on level, its possible its too low or high)

"
"Detection level is set in alsamixer with the ADC setting"  -- https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/UDRC%E2%84%A2-For-Simplex-Hotspots-and-Converted-Analog-Repeaters#Troubleshooting

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 7:05 AM, <abe@...> wrote:

Using UDRC with IC208H as a hotspot. Signals from the 30C reflector are transmitted by the 208H flawlessly and consistently. However it takes a couple key ups from my Dstar HT before the dstarrepeater recognizes my signal and passes it along to the ircddbgateway.  Once this occurs stations report by audio over the reflector is 100% quality, and I'm also then able to change reflectors with commands from the HT.  But it consistently requires several key ups before transmissions are recognized, all the time. Any suggestions?




--


John D. Hays
K7VE

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223
   




--


John D. Hays
K7VE

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223
   

 

Greetings from New Zealand.

I experimented with an IC-208H and found bandwidth issues with the discriminator and transmitter.

The dead give away is that the user message field has some characters corrupted while transmitting in either direction.

Yes the TX and RX is not flat. Have you noticed this while connected to REF030C?

Messages must be error free to ensure UDRC hot spot is able to process all D-Star stream correctly.

If not this indicates that the radio group delay is poor and discriminator circuit not totally flat.

Also as is the case with the IC-2820H I use as a hot spot radio the mode should be FM and not FN-N or FM and not NAR mode in the case of the IC-208H.

The reason for this using the UDRC is that the recovered audio feed to the UDRC is extremely high in FM-N or NAR mode.

It is possible to over load the UDRC RX channel. I found using a scope on the RX line that the mVolt levels changed substantially if FN-N or NAR were used.

I recommend not using an IC-208H and try another ICOM or Yaesu FT series of radio with 9k6 port.

73 and good DV, John ZL2TWS

 

Thank you - John.

Since I don't have every model of radio, other people's research is very helpful.

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 10:55 AM, John M Wysocki ZL2TWS <zl2tws@...> wrote:

Greetings from New Zealand.

I experimented with an IC-208H and found bandwidth issues with the discriminator and transmitter.

The dead give away is that the user message field has some characters corrupted while transmitting in either direction.

Yes the TX and RX is not flat. Have you noticed this while connected to REF030C?

Messages must be error free to ensure UDRC hot spot is able to process all D-Star stream correctly.

If not this indicates that the radio group delay is poor and discriminator circuit not totally flat.

Also as is the case with the IC-2820H I use as a hot spot radio the mode should be FM and not FN-N or FM and not NAR mode in the case of the IC-208H.

The reason for this using the UDRC is that the recovered audio feed to the UDRC is extremely high in FM-N or NAR mode.

It is possible to over load the UDRC RX channel. I found using a scope on the RX line that the mVolt levels changed substantially if FN-N or NAR were used.

I recommend not using an IC-208H and try another ICOM or Yaesu FT series of radio with 9k6 port.

73 and good DV, John ZL2TWS




--


John D. Hays
K7VE

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223
   

 

Hi John-ZL2TWS,

I could not get my IC-208H to work with the UDRC-II either.  No setting in the alsamixer would allow the hotspot to RX reliably from any of 4 D-STAR transceiver I tried.  I gave up on the UDRC-II for use with that radio.  That radio DOES work OK with a Moencomm Star*Board GMSK board to make a D-STAR hotspot.

Randy-W4LKS
Spokane, WA


On 2/16/2017 10:55 AM, John M Wysocki ZL2TWS wrote:

Greetings from New Zealand.

I experimented with an IC-208H and found bandwidth issues with the discriminator and transmitter.

The dead give away is that the user message field has some characters corrupted while transmitting in either direction.

Yes the TX and RX is not flat. Have you noticed this while connected to REF030C?

Messages must be error free to ensure UDRC hot spot is able to process all D-Star stream correctly.

If not this indicates that the radio group delay is poor and discriminator circuit not totally flat.

Also as is the case with the IC-2820H I use as a hot spot radio the mode should be FM and not FN-N or FM and not NAR mode in the case of the IC-208H.

The reason for this using the UDRC is that the recovered audio feed to the UDRC is extremely high in FM-N or NAR mode.

It is possible to over load the UDRC RX channel. I found using a scope on the RX line that the mVolt levels changed substantially if FN-N or NAR were used.

I recommend not using an IC-208H and try another ICOM or Yaesu FT series of radio with 9k6 port.

73 and good DV, John ZL2TWS