Topics

Is it possible to run voice and packet over the same repeater (DR1X) if running 12.5 khz for each? #udrc-ii

Austin - KF7SIW

We are starting to get a lot more interest in packet, but we can't put two systems up to run a voice repeater and packet node at the same time. If we can get 2 modes by narrow banding it would allow us to increase our capability for emergencies.

You won't be able to do it simultaneously but the same repeater can do both.

On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 11:07 AM, Austin <mail@...> wrote:
We are starting to get a lot more interest in packet, but we can't put two systems up to run a voice repeater and packet node at the same time. If we can get 2 modes by narrow banding it would allow us to increase our capability for emergencies.

If you bump your packet community up to 9600 baud, using Direwolf, you can increase your throughput.

NW Digital is working on a digital workstation which should make that transition much easier for your users.

On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 11:13 AM, John D. Hays <john@...> wrote:
You won't be able to do it simultaneously but the same repeater can do both.

On Fri, Jun 29, 2018 at 11:07 AM, Austin <mail@...> wrote:
We are starting to get a lot more interest in packet, but we can't put two systems up to run a voice repeater and packet node at the same time. If we can get 2 modes by narrow banding it would allow us to increase our capability for emergencies.

Austin - KF7SIW

One requirement we have is VHF for voice. Mainly because of the terrain. Would it be better to use a 70 cm radio connected before the duplexer and to the 6 pin mini-din? Our main concern is tower space more so than equipment space.

Understood -- it comes down to whether you want a repeater or just a node for packet.  Our experience in the Seattle area is that packet repeaters are really helpful for throughput, by reducing collisions and hidden transmitter issues, but you have to use the hand you are dealt :)