Topics

Just to be clear. What pins are for CAT?

John McRae

I am going to make some cables, starting with CAT control.

What pins on the  L/R mini dins are for cat levels plaese?

I will keep struggling with the software at a later stage.

It is all very muddy, as there is not a simple how to list that I can find.

The use of external interfacing is used by a lot of people trying to explain theur setups.

I just want to get the Draws /Pi up and running non remotely at first.

Without a basic how to, I feel a lot of hams like me will find it tedious etc, to get up and running.

It genuinely is quite confusing sorry to say.

I love the concept however, so am prepared to learn.

cheers guys.

73, John VK5PO

_._,_._,_
--
MY GMAIL desktop Email accoount,
JF McRae, VK5PO/VK5SIX

CAT is not part of the mini din interface specification.  It was created as a standard long before CAT was popular.

Most CAT control is done using USB to serial cables specific to the radio model and using the 4 USB ports on the Raspberry Pi.

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 3:50 PM John McRae <johnfmcrae.desktop@...> wrote:

I am going to make some cables, starting with CAT control.

What pins on the  L/R mini dins are for cat levels plaese?

I will keep struggling with the software at a later stage.

It is all very muddy, as there is not a simple how to list that I can find.

The use of external interfacing is used by a lot of people trying to explain theur setups.

I just want to get the Draws /Pi up and running non remotely at first.

Without a basic how to, I feel a lot of hams like me will find it tedious etc, to get up and running.

It genuinely is quite confusing sorry to say.

I love the concept however, so am prepared to learn.

cheers guys.

73, John VK5PO

Kingston, WA
K7VE

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 3:54 PM John D. Hays <john@...> wrote:
[...]

Chris Metcalf

Related-ish, does the "Accessory Connector HDR-4X2M" connector have another standardized name if I wanted to source a connector for it? I currently have female header jumpers connected to it, but I'd like something more robust.

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 3:59 PM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

[...]

cheers John.

I thought that was the case.

thanks for quick response!!!

73

On 20/02/2020 10:24 am, John D Hays - K7VE wrote:
[...]

Eric KD7CAO <kd7cao@...>

John,

Tried to click on that link but the file does not exist. Here is a screenshot of the folder:

image.png

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 5:59 PM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

[...]

Eric M. Gildersleeve ~ KD7CAO
Google Voice: 940-784-3029

Graham Auld

There is no CAT control on the DRAWS hat. The mini DINS are for the input/output of digital audio. You can attach two radios hence two connectors. CAT is done by a USB to CAT cable for your radio. You need to provide that cable.

I was totally lost until I found a great series of videos starting at https://youtu.be/u6wz2kZJ5Vo

These five videos take you calmly through setup step by step. That guy deserves a medal.

All the best

Graham - 2M0IJU

Basil Gunn

Tried to click on that link but the file does not exist.
You are looking at the wrong group files location. You are in group main the
files are in group udrc. If you just click on the link John gave you:

https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/files/DRAWSTech.pdf

it will bring up the schematic.
/Basil n7nix

Eric KD7CAO <@KD7CAO> writes:

John,

Tried to click on that link but the file does not exist. Here is a
screenshot of the folder:

[image: image.png]

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 5:59 PM John D Hays - K7VE <@john_hays> wrote:

https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/files/DRAWSTech.pdf may help
as well.

On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 3:54 PM John D. Hays <@john_hays> wrote:

CAT is not part of the mini din interface specification.

It looks like you went to the 'main' group for nw-digital-radio -- this file is in the files section of the udrc subgroup.  If your browser is logged into groups.io, you should just be able to click on the link.

On Thu, Feb 20, 2020 at 8:17 AM Eric KD7CAO <kd7cao@...> wrote:
[...]

I clicked on the link and that is where it is taking me to, the folder in screenshot.

Eric KD7CAO <kd7cao@...> writes:

> John,
>
> Tried to click on that link but the file does not exist. Here is a
> screenshot of the folder:
>
> [image: image.png]
>

> On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 5:59 PM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
>
>> https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/files/DRAWSTech.pdf  may help
>> as well.
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 19, 2020 at 3:54 PM John D. Hays <john@...> wrote:
>>
>>> CAT is not part of the mini din interface specification.

--
Eric M. Gildersleeve ~ KD7CAO
Google Voice: 940-784-3029

Stuart Longland VK4MSL

On 20/2/20 9:49 am, John McRae wrote:
I am going to make some cables, starting with CAT control.

What pins on the  L/R mini dins are for cat levels plaese?
None of them, there's a separate port on the DRAWS that gives you a
TTL-level UART serial port.

THAT, is what you want for doing CAT. Or you provide a separate cable
hooked up via USB.

I'll ultimately be doing something similar with mine: plan is to use a
RTL-SDR to scan for activity and use the CAT interface on my FT-857D to
switch the VFO to that frequency to give me dual-watch capabilities,
APRS and WiFi operation from my phone; as it would seem a FM/SSB set
capable of HF/VHF/UHF doesn't exist.
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...