Topics

Kenwood V71 not transmitting on received signal

kc9zjf@...

So I've been scratching my head all day, using a Kenwood TM-V71 for my simplex node, after a bit of adjustment transmit seems to be working OK

have 2nd radio running though DVAP for testing, transmit out on my HT through the Kenwood no issues, receive on 2nd HT on reflector.  Transmit on 2nd HT running through a reflector on a DVAP signal is not being picked up and passed through the TM-V71 Any thoughts, I'm thinking it's an adjustment, but not sure where to even start looking, even if audio was low it should still trigger the transmit in the V71 correct?

73 Mike, KC9ZJF

On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 2:51 PM, <kc9zjf@...> wrote:

So I've been scratching my head all day, using a Kenwood TM-V71 for my simplex node, after a bit of adjustment transmit seems to be working OK

have 2nd radio running though DVAP for testing, transmit out on my HT through the Kenwood no issues, receive on 2nd HT on reflector.  Transmit on 2nd HT running through a reflector on a DVAP signal is not being picked up and passed through the TM-V71 Any thoughts, I'm thinking it's an adjustment, but not sure where to even start looking, even if audio was low it should still trigger the transmit in the V71 correct?

73 Mike, KC9ZJF

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223

kc9zjf@...

Thanks John,

I think it's related to this: "Note: if you do not hear any audio on the FM radio when the UDRC™ is transmitting, make sure LOL is not muted in alsamixer."  I don't see any other settings related to that

transmit audio levels are good with the stock set up

under D-Star Repeater 1 config sound card.  If I stop the repeater service the RX Device and TX devise both set to UDRC

if I launch it with the D-Star repeater service running RX shows blank TX is one of the stock Alsa devices, not sure if that is normal

not being a linux guru :-)  I see LOL Output is on box shows 00 not sure if that is just an on/off

Mike

You need to make sure that you don't have a copy of dstarrepeater or dstarrepeaterd running when you run the dstarrepeaterconfig program.  The configuration program is looking for 'available' devices, when dstarrepeater is running the card is not available to other programs, so it doesn't show up in the configuration program.

On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 5:15 PM, <kc9zjf@...> wrote:

Thanks John,

I think it's related to this: "Note: if you do not hear any audio on the FM radio when the UDRC™ is transmitting, make sure LOL is not muted in alsamixer."  I don't see any other settings related to that

transmit audio levels are good with the stock set up

under D-Star Repeater 1 config sound card.  If I stop the repeater service the RX Device and TX devise both set to UDRC

if I launch it with the D-Star repeater service running RX shows blank TX is one of the stock Alsa devices, not sure if that is normal

not being a linux guru :-)  I see LOL Output is on box shows 00 not sure if that is just an on/off

Mike

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223

You can run alsamixer while dstarrepeater is running to make fine adjustments.

M stands for Mute (O for open)

M toggles muting for the current channel (both left and right). If the hardware supports it, you can mute left and right independently by using , (or <) and . (or >) respectively.

On Sat, Feb 25, 2017 at 7:55 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
[...]

Got it working, still need to tweak some settings but here are the events of the last 24 hours

reinstalled 3 times - was still getting the same symptoms no receive coming back from a reflector but LED indications on the UDRC board shows they were being received

Started playing a bit more with the Kenwood TM-V71 -

First had it in data mode (power on while holding the PF2 key) this was always the way you would use it for Echolink, turned that off at that point it started passing signal from the UDRC board to the radio.  At this point the transmission from HT though the radio coming out of reflector side OK, Reflector back all digital.  After playing around with RX Inversion and TX Inversion had one on, which is what the seed file gave me to playing back and forth one on one off, until I ended up with them both on, which I had set at one time but I think the fact it was in Data mode was messing things up.

Friend on one side of town by 6 miles on a ID51A plus connected to a copper J-Pole approx 40 feet no issues receive or transmit.  Went for a ride my 5100 working great around town (about a 15 mile radius so far)

Thanks for your quick responses to questions, look forward to running this board through it's paces

When you get it all settled down, provide the radio settings, the dstargateway_1, and alsa setup settings and I'll put them in the Wiki.

On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 11:51 AM, <kc9zjf@...> wrote:

[...]

will do, nice little board now that it's working,:-) one ham says sounds strong one say hey your audio is low makes me laugh.  next will be getting it to work with the Kenwood TS2000

something to consider with software, I noticed TimerControl is not part of the ircDDB package, great little program for controlling connecting to reflectors at given time (set up with ease) I set all my nets and at the time it switches reflectors no thought to it.

On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 12:17 PM, <kc9zjf@...> wrote:

will do, nice little board now that it's working,:-) one ham says sounds strong one say hey your audio is low makes me laugh.

Yeah, the board has nothing to do with audio level of stations.  It is the modem for the digital signals, audio level is a function of the level in to/out of AMBE encode/decode in the radios.

 next will be getting it to work with the Kenwood TS2000

something to consider with software, I noticed TimerControl is not part of the ircDDB package, great little program for controlling connecting to reflectors at given time (set up with ease) I set all my nets and at the time it switches reflectors no thought to it.

TimerControl is a separate package that can be installed after ircddbgateway is up and running.

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223