Topics

minimum install to get the DRAWS gps working?

I just received my DRAWS and at this point in time, I am only interested in getting the GPS working. (I'm developing a new ThumbDV app for D-Star Routing and linking and want to use the GPS to update the user and station positions to aprs.) I would rather not use Compass until I full understand what my program needs to use the DRAWS gps.

I found the wiki page on "Setup GPSD for Time and Position" and am wondering about the statement "Ensure that the device tree and driver have been installed". How do I do that with resorting to Compass? I installed gpsd etc, and I see /dev/ttySC0 and /tty/pps on my system and systemctl reports that gpsd is running, but gpsmon is showing all zeros.

Thanks!

okiejim

Please don't take this wrong but have you hooked up an antenna to the draw hat gps connector?

On Sun, Sep 8, 2019 at 8:16 AM Tom Early <n7tae@...> wrote:
I just received my DRAWS and at this point in time, I am only interested in getting the GPS working. (I'm developing a new ThumbDV app for D-Star Routing and linking and want to use the GPS to update the user and station positions to aprs.) I would rather not use Compass until I full understand what my program needs to use the DRAWS gps.

I found the wiki page on "Setup GPSD for Time and Position" and am wondering about the statement "Ensure that the device tree and driver have been installed". How do I do that with resorting to Compass? I installed gpsd etc, and I see /dev/ttySC0 and /tty/pps on my system and systemctl reports that gpsd is running, but gpsmon is showing all zeros.

Thanks!

If the antenna has a good view of the sky, the first startup can take a while.

You can also restart the gpsd

sudo systemctl stop gpsd
sudo systemctl start gpsd

You can also stop gpsd and.

cat /Dev/ttySC0

On Sun, Sep 8, 2019, 08:55 okiejim <kd6vpe@...> wrote:
[...]

Silly me. I thought I only needed to install the CR1220 if I wanted the RTC to continue to operate while the power was off. Apparently, the battery has to be installed for the GPS to operate. The GPS sensitivity seems really good. The DRAWS pulled in 10 satellites within a minute of powering up and had my position and altitude exactly right. In the same location, my ID-51p2 takes significantly longer.

Jonathan Magee

Hi Tom,
I have the gps working and I don't have the battery installed

Regards
Jonathan GI7KMC