Topics

N1MM network mode, Field Day and TCP/IP over AX.25

Eric Grumling

Our club is looking at different options for this year's Field Day since we have no intention of collecting at our usual 3A campsite. Most of us will probably be operating from home using our own callsigns, but there's some discussion of using N1MM's network mode and forming a multi-user multi-station group using the club call. I'm pretty well versed in networking N1MM on a LAN, and can probably get a VPN set up (to simplify setup for non-network savvy members) for everyone to use. However it might be interesting to see what might be possible using all radio instead of Internet and VPN tunnels. The club repeater sites are connected via a 3GHz WAN that could also be utilized if members have direct LOS with the repeater sites (not many do). 

With that in mind, what is the possibility of running 9600 baud TCP/IP using a Raspberry Pi and UDRC/soundcard modem? That way we could keep things all radio and maybe get some infrastructure built for longer term projects. I'll have to see how much network traffic is generated by N1MM of course, but the idea would be similar to a Cradlepoint style cellular modem, where the logging PC could join a WiFi hotspot or Ethernet port on the Pi, which would then act like a router. Would JNOS or Direwolf do this? Ideally I'd build a standard image for the club, and probably build a few stations too. Club members who want to join the network would need to supply a 70 CM radio with 9600 baud input and we'd probably have to set nodes at the repeater sites.

Good idea or waste of time?

Basil Gunn

With that in mind, what is the possibility of running 9600 baud TCP/IP
using a Raspberry Pi and UDRC/soundcard modem?
Yes lately we have been testing the 9600 baud packet part a great deal &
it works very well.

the logging PC could join a WiFi hotspot or Ethernet port on the Pi,
which would then act like a router. Would JNOS or Direwolf do this?
Since the udrc/DRAWS has is enumerated as network devices (AX0 & AX1) it
should be possible. I am not interested in using JNOS.

I'll start playing with this in my copious amounts of socially separated
time. :)

What exactly is your criteria for success. Ping'ing each station? Fill
in your vision a little more.

Does this sound like HAMwan @ 9600 baud?
What am I missing?

/Basil n7nix

Eric Grumling <eric@...> writes:

Our club is looking at different options for this year's Field Day since we have no intention of collecting at our usual 3A campsite. Most of us will probably be operating from home using our own callsigns, but there's some discussion of using N1MM's network mode and forming a multi-user multi-station group using the club call. I'm pretty well versed in networking N1MM on a LAN, and can probably get a VPN set up (to simplify setup for non-network savvy members) for everyone to use. However it might be interesting to see what might be possible using all radio instead of Internet and VPN tunnels. The club repeater sites are connected via a 3GHz WAN that could also be utilized if members have direct LOS with the repeater sites (not many do).

With that in mind, what is the possibility of running 9600 baud TCP/IP using a Raspberry Pi and UDRC/soundcard modem? That way we could keep things all radio and maybe get some infrastructure built for longer term projects. I'll have to see how much network traffic is generated by N1MM of course, but the idea would be similar to a Cradlepoint style cellular modem, where the logging PC could join a WiFi hotspot or Ethernet port on the Pi, which would then act like a router. Would JNOS or Direwolf do this? Ideally I'd build a standard image for the club, and probably build a few stations too. Club members who want to join the network would need to supply a 70 CM radio with 9600 baud input and we'd probably have to set nodes at the repeater sites.

Andrew P.

Wouldn't that kind of networking violate the Field Day rules requiring all stations be within a 1000-foot circle?

-------- Original message --------
Date: 4/19/20 14:36 (GMT-05:00)
To: udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io
Subject: [draws and udrc] N1MM network mode, Field Day and TCP/IP over AX.25

Eric Grumling

There's some discussion about modifying the rules for this year due to the unprecedented situation. In a normal year the club has 3 stations + GOTA/Satellite and schedules operators to run 24X7. I think the idea being floated is that we'd operate under the club call for a scheduled time from our personal station, so this might all be more trouble than it's worth. But just trying to see what's possible since I've been asked to handle the network piece of things.

Eric Grumling

>Does this sound like HAMwan @ 9600 baud?
>What am I missing?

That's basically what I'd like to try. We're a little too spread out and too many hills to effectively build a pure HSMM-MESH style network but maybe have elements of that too. Pretty much anything that will work. I know most of the members have 9600 baud capable radios, many have an extra Raspberry Pi (or 4) and some have 3 GHz data radios. Between all that we should be able to cobble together some sort of WAN. I'm also looking at 900 MHz telemetry radios (56Kbps) borrowed from the drone world, but that might be even more difficult since I think they're set up for point to point and limited to 1 Watt LOS.

David M

The current ARRL Field Day rules don't support a Class A club group outside of a 1000 foot diameter circle.