Topics

Nixtracker

In trying to figure out why the gps is not reporting the info to nixtracker I entered
"sudo systemctl status gpsd" and the result I received is:

gpsd.service - GPS (Global Positioning System) Daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/gpsd.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
   Active: active (running) since Thu 2020-02-06 15:09:24 EST; 48s ago
  Process: 511 ExecStart=/usr/local/sbin/gpsd $GPSD_OPTIONS $OPTIONS $DEVICES (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
 Main PID: 519 (gpsd)
    Tasks: 3 (limit: 2200)
   Memory: 1.4M
   CGroup: /system.slice/gpsd.service
           └─519 /usr/local/sbin/gpsd -n /dev/ttySC0 /dev/pps0

Feb 06 15:09:24 Draws systemd[1]: Starting GPS (Global Positioning System) Daemon...
Feb 06 15:09:24 Draws systemd[1]: Started GPS (Global Positioning System) Daemon.
Feb 06 15:09:26 Draws gpsd[519]: gpsd:ERROR: response: {"class":"ERROR","message":"No such device as /dev/ttyUSB0"}\x0d\x0a

when I try to cat/Dev/tty/USB0 I receive
cat: /Dev/ttyUSB0: No such file or directory

any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Rich, KR4PI

Jim Erickson

Someone else smarter than me will chime in I’m sure, but for the DRAWS hat, the GPS is located at /dev/ttySC0

I’m not familiar with the Nixtracker, though I am interested.  It looks like your gpsd is correct:

CGroup: /system.slice/gpsd.service
           └─519 /usr/local/sbin/gpsd -n /dev/ttySC0 /dev/pps0

There must be a config for Nixtracker to point it at GPS?  In which case /dev/ttySC0 is where the GPS is located, at least for the DRAWS hat.

------
73,
Jim
VA7SHG - Phone
VE7TGZ/VA7TGZ - Other

On Feb 6, 2020, at 12:17, Rich KR4PI <rich.schnieders@...> wrote:

[...]

Basil Gunn

Thanks for trying out nixtracker

I have Nixtracker running on my pi 3b with draws hat installed. I have
two radios connected. UDR0 is attached to a radio on our local packet
freq and runs a Winlink Gateway. UDR1 is connected to a radio on our
local aprs freq.
I am able to see aprs info on the Nixtracker on
another machine.
Great!

However in the Sats window I have Zero sats. the
window reports nodata. gpsd is running on the Pi and has a good
lock.
Link following is the commit for zero sats problem fixed for the DRAWS
gps device about 10 days ago.

https://github.com/n7nix/nixtracker/commit/15ec32a5c05a3e7aa84d5defcae1abe26177c4f5

Below are the instructions for updating the nixtracker source. I will
have a script that does this by the end of the day. Also make sure the
port = line in the [gps] section is commented out in the nixtracker
config file.

The change is in a C file so you will need to get the new file and
rebuild. In the config file /etc/tracker/aprs_tracker.ini make sure
in the [gps] section that 'port =' line is commented out like this:

#port = /dev/ttyUSB0

To get new source file, rebuild & install.

cd
cd dev/nixtracker
git pull
make
cp aprs ~/bin
cd
cd bin
sudo ./tracker-down
sudo cp ~/dev/nixtracker/aprs /usr/local/bin
sudo ./tracker-up

The nixtracker web page should display an 1006 error, you should be able
to refresh the page & have the tracker running again.

/Basil n7nix

I read in this forum that there is something that needs to be
done to make this work but it appears those instructions were taken
offline.

The other question I have is there a way in the MSG tab to select
which port on draws the aprs message goes out?
When an ax.25 app (like nixtracker) starts up it binds to an ax.25
socket which requires a physical port. So there is no easy way to select
a port other than changing the 'port =' parameter in the [ax25] section
in the nixtracker config file & restarting the app.

Ruben .

I'm a bit late in this discussion, but if you're looking for a quick and sure way to set up a hotspot on a DRAWS image try KM4ACK's youtube video. His scripts do all the work.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMT-0mz1lkI

Thank you, that works. One less cable!

Just remember, if gpsd is running and connected to /dev/ttySC0 then you should access it via the gpsd socket.  If you are going direct to /dev/ttysSC0 then gpsd should be stopped.

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 3:31 PM David Lowry <huskyrunnr@...> wrote:
Thank you, that works. One less cable!

Kingston, WA
K7VE

Thanks Basil,

That worked perfectly. I know have the Sats window populated properly and everything else seems to be working as well. Makes  nice addition to the system.

Thanks again for all your help!

Rich, KR4PI

So very happy and excited with this functionality. Thanks to Basil for picking up Dantracker and running with it.

David, Ke7rgp

Tried to include a photo

Basil Gunn

Tried to include a photo