Topics

No DStar decode

Duane Angles

Edited

I think everything is working but when I connect to a reflector I get no DStar decode. Any ideas.

Repeater comes up in Auto/Normal - Auto/Normal when I key up on Dstar the repeater goes to Fixed/FM - Fixed/FM. Keying up in Analog or C4FM seems to work fine.

AA5KD

Duane

Is the PTT keying?  Do you see text e.g. calling station on the D-STAR radio?

2 meters or 70 cm?

Did you run the script to set the audio levels. (E.g. have you followed every step in https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/UDRC-Setup-for-the-Yaesu-DR-1X-Repeater)

Do you get decode on local repeat?

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 3:51 PM, Duane Angles <dangles1@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

I think everything is working but when I connect to a reflector I get no DStar decode. Any ideas.

Repeater comes up in Auto/Normal - Auto/Normal when I key up on Dstar the repeater goes to Fixed/FM - Fixed/FM. Keying up in Analog or C4FM seems to work fine.

AA5KD

Duane

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223

What model of D-STAR radio?

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 3:51 PM, Duane Angles <dangles1@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

I think everything is working but when I connect to a reflector I get no DStar decode. Any ideas.

Repeater comes up in Auto/Normal - Auto/Normal when I key up on Dstar the repeater goes to Fixed/FM - Fixed/FM. Keying up in Analog or C4FM seems to work fine.

AA5KD

Duane

Director

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223

Duane Angles

ID-51A

Duane Angles

AA5KD

I think everything is working but when I connect to a reflector I get no DStar decode. Any ideas.

Repeater comes up in Auto/Normal - Auto/Normal when I key up on Dstar the repeater goes to Fixed/FM - Fixed/FM. Keying up in Analog or C4FM seems to work fine.

AA5KD

Duane

Director
Image removed by sender.

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223

Image removed by sender. Image removed by sender. Image removed by sender.

How about these questions?

Duane Angles

Yes PTT is keying but no calling station on the DStar radio

70cm

Yes I ran the script and followed every step

No decode on local repeater

Duane Angles

AA5KD

Is the PTT keying?  Do you see text e.g. calling station on the D-STAR radio?

2 meters or 70 cm?

Did you run the script to set the audio levels. (E.g. have you followed every step in https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/UDRC-Setup-for-the-Yaesu-DR-1X-Repeater)

Do you get decode on local repeat?

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 3:51 PM, Duane Angles <dangles1@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

I think everything is working but when I connect to a reflector I get no DStar decode. Any ideas.

Repeater comes up in Auto/Normal - Auto/Normal when I key up on Dstar the repeater goes to Fixed/FM - Fixed/FM. Keying up in Analog or C4FM seems to work fine.

AA5KD

Duane

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223

Image removed by sender. Image removed by sender. Image removed by sender.

If you listen in FM mode, with no pl tone do you hear modem tones?

If you have the ability, e.g. a scope,  measure pin 6. That's the third pad down next to the blue 15 pin connector. See if you are getting approximately 1.0v peak to peak. While the PTT is triggered.

On Jun 1, 2016 6:36 PM, "Duane Angles" <dangles1@...> wrote:

[...]

VE3MIC

Yes, since dealing with the cable issue, the DR-1x is now transmitting. UR commands sent from the ID-31a are being recognized in dstarrepeater, and I can listen to the digital data stream from an analogue FM HT. I need to check the polarity, and I'll adjust audio accordingly.
-Mike

On Jun 1, 2016 9:54 PM, John Hays <john@...> wrote:

[...]

I think there may have been a sound setup script that was a little low early on, so that may be the problem.   If you give the command

alsamixer

press F6 and pick the UDRC, the screen should look like this:

Inline image 1

If it doesn't, don't change anything here, instead hit escape key, then rerun:

curl -L -s https://goo.gl/h04nla | sudo sh

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 9:22 PM, Mike Morneau via Groups.io <ve3mic@...> wrote:

Yes, since dealing with the cable issue, the DR-1x is now transmitting. UR commands sent from the ID-31a are being recognized in dstarrepeater, and I can listen to the digital data stream from an analogue FM HT. I need to check the polarity, and I'll adjust audio accordingly.
-Mike

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223

Duane Angles

Do I need to upgrade my other repeater to use my UDRC, it has version 1.00m. I also plan on using Wires-X with an FTM-100 as a remote.

)

--

------------------------------

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223

[image: Image removed by sender.] <http://k7ve.org/blog> [image: Image
removed by sender.] <http://twitter.com/#!/john_hays> [image: Image
removed by sender.] <http://www.facebook.com/john.d.hays>

On 1.00m you can use ANALOG WIRES-X (Config 4 on the udrc controller -- FM/FM), but your repeater will lock up if you try to do Digital Fusion (C4FM).  I recommend getting the software upgrade, then you have all 3 modes.

Using a remote WIRES-X node (HRI-200 + FTM100DR is my test platform) is the 'workable' solution.

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 10:35 AM, Duane Angles <dangles1@...> wrote:
[...]

On 1.00m you can use ANALOG WIRES-X (Config 4 on the udrc controller -- FM/FM), but your repeater will lock up if you try to do Digital Fusion (C4FM).  I recommend getting the firmware upgrade, then you have all 3 modes.

[...]

Duane and Mike - Let us know if this fixes your 'no decode' problems.

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 10:17 pm, John Hays wrote:

I think there may have been a sound setup script that was a little low early on, so that may be the problem.   If you give the command

alsamixer

press F6 and pick the UDRC, the screen should look like this:

If it doesn't, don't change anything here, instead hit escape key, then rerun:

curl -L -s https://goo.gl/h04nla | sudo sh

VE3MIC

After adjusting the audio levels, there's still no D-STAR audio being heard on my ID-31a. However, I do see the header information (Callsign, Name, Msg., etc) displayed on the ID-31a's LCD screen for each transmission. That being said, I'd expect to be hearing D-STAR audio at this point. Re-running curl -L -s https://goo.gl/h04nla | sudo sh didn't seem to make a difference.

-Mike

If you are seeing text and are driving at the levels represented in the window capture I posted, then the next test is peak to peak voltage on pin 6.  (1 V) you might also try different combinations of RX and TX invert in /etc/opendv/dstarrepeater_1, though for 70cm the defaults should be right.

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 3:49 PM, Mike Morneau via Groups.io <ve3mic@...> wrote:

After adjusting the audio levels, there's still no D-STAR audio being heard on my ID-31a. However, I do see the header information (Callsign, Name, Msg., etc) displayed on the ID-31a's LCD screen for each transmission. That being said, I'd expect to be hearing D-STAR audio at this point. Re-running curl -L -s https://goo.gl/h04nla | sudo sh didn't seem to make a difference.

-Mike

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223

J W Chenault

Hi John:

Don’t you mean the hardware upgrade from 1.00M to the 1.10J. Most of the repeaters that are less than a year old would be a freebie except to ship the repeater to yaesu. Hope everyone kept the repeater shipping box.

Jeff

[...]

No D-STAR audio solved!

Not sure how, (and I should have caught this sooner) but somehow DCS ended up being enabled on my ID-31a.

This would certainly account for the header information appearing on the radio's display, but no audio being heard.

That being out of the way, I'll have to try setting up DCS on the DR-1x (John, I believe that you mentioned that it's currently untested) and see how that works out.

73 de Mike

Kenneth Grimard n1dot

using dcs or continuous digital coded squelch system will work very nicely for the repeater

in fm mode mike. I have tested this all here with my dr-1x and it works well.

dcs also has a shutdown code to eliminate any squelch tail also.

ken n1dot

On 6/3/2016 1:59 AM, Mike Morneau via Groups.io wrote:

No D-STAR audio solved!

Not sure how, (and I should have caught this sooner) but somehow DCS ended up being enabled on my ID-31a.

This would certainly account for the header information appearing on the radio's display, but no audio being heard.

That being out of the way, I'll have to try setting up DCS on the DR-1x (John, I believe that you mentioned that it's currently untested) and see how that works out.

73 de Mike

Thank you for the confirmation Ken!

On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 9:07 PM, Kenneth Grimard <kgrimard@...> wrote:

using dcs or continuous digital coded squelch system will work very nicely for the repeater

in fm mode mike. I have tested this all here with my dr-1x and it works well.

dcs also has a shutdown code to eliminate any squelch tail also.

ken n1dot

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223

VE3MIC

Edited

Hi John.

Here are my observations regarding DCS(& CTCSS) on DR-1x v1.00m firmware. Unit set to Fixed FM/ Fixed FM mode.

-In order for the UDRC(D-STAR) to function, signalling must be set to CTCSS or DCS(as per the instructions) Otherwise, the DR-1x operates in FM(analogue) mode only -no D-STAR.

-CTCSS / DCS functions normally for both encode & decode, but only in FM(analogue) mode.

-When operating D-STAR, if my ID-31a has DCS enabled, you will see the D-STAR header information (eg. callsign, msg., etc) displayed on the radio's LCD as well as signal strength, however, no audio is heard. This is observed whenever DCS is set & enabled on the ID-31a, and whether or not the corresponding DCS is set & enabled on the DR-1x.

Bottom line: DCS enabled on ID-31a = No D-STAR audio -no matter what is set on the DR-1x

I wish that I had another D-STAR radio to test with, but it seems that while one of the two signalling options(CTCSS/DCS) must be enabled in order to permit the UDRC to operate, it appears that this simply is satisfying a condition. And other than allowing the UDRC to operate with the DR-1x for D-STAR, the signalling doesn't appear to do anything else.

At least this is what I am seeing with my DR-1x (v1.00m) and my ID-31a (latest firmware).

de Mike

I'm just reporting, and don't expect a response to this straight away -Enjoy Sea-Pac :)