Topics

No WSJT-X transmission with FT-891 #draws #wsjtx #ft-8 #ft-891

Matt N7ROO
 

Hello,

I've been trying to set up my DRAWS and FT-891 to use FT8 via WSJT-X. I've been following the videos and settings from Julian and Steve, and can receive messages ok, however whenever I transmit the radio lights up but the power output meter never changes. Almost as if there is no data aside from the PTT notification being send from the DRAWS unit. 

If anyone has some insight on what may be causing this please let me know. Happy to run any commands / dump console outputs if it will help.

73
Matt N7ROO

LA9KOA - Karl
 

Hi Matt.

Make sure the radio is getting the input from the 6-pin data port. I don't have a FT-891, but look into mode. Could be called USB-D, DIG or similar.
I've had similar problems were other radios got PTT over the DATA port, but still tried to transmit sound from the mic input.

Try whistling into the mic while WSJT-X keys your radio and look at the power meter then.

Are you able to receive and decode FT8 with your setup now?

Best,

Karl

Richard Waller <rewaller@...>
 

Have you looked at the output settings in draws manager and tried to adjust those? Have you confirmed that the audio settings are correct for transmit in the wsjt-x program? Lastly, have you adjusted the power output slider on the right side of the wsjt-x screen? Rick Ka4ohm.


On Jul 6, 2019, at 10:05 PM, Matt N7ROO <n7roo@...> wrote:

Hello,

I've been trying to set up my DRAWS and FT-891 to use FT8 via WSJT-X. I've been following the videos and settings from Julian and Steve, and can receive messages ok, however whenever I transmit the radio lights up but the power output meter never changes. Almost as if there is no data aside from the PTT notification being send from the DRAWS unit. 

If anyone has some insight on what may be causing this please let me know. Happy to run any commands / dump console outputs if it will help.

73
Matt N7ROO

Michael Starling
 

Be aware that the 2.1.0 rc7 version does not now transmit data on my Mac.  Apparently has some built-in switch to turn it off during some periods.  Version 2.0.1 does work on the Mac and the 3B+ under Stretch..

Matt N7ROO
 

Thanks all for your suggestions.

I've made sure that my "DATA IN SELECT" (setting 08-09) is set to "REAR" rather than "MIC", and confirmed this by whistling into my mic while transmitting. No transmission / power output was observed with on my radio meter or PSKreporter. I've confirmed that my settings were accurate as far as I can tell, and have mimicked other FT-891 users. I've included some screenshots of this below. I've also adjusted the power output on the side of the WSJT-X screen with no observable difference in outcome.

image.png

image.png


image.png

Cheers,
Matt  - N7ROO


On Sun, Jul 7, 2019 at 5:52 AM Richard Waller via Groups.Io <rewaller=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
Have you looked at the output settings in draws manager and tried to adjust those? Have you confirmed that the audio settings are correct for transmit in the wsjt-x program? Lastly, have you adjusted the power output slider on the right side of the wsjt-x screen? Rick Ka4ohm.


On Jul 6, 2019, at 10:05 PM, Matt N7ROO <n7roo@...> wrote:

Hello,

I've been trying to set up my DRAWS and FT-891 to use FT8 via WSJT-X. I've been following the videos and settings from Julian and Steve, and can receive messages ok, however whenever I transmit the radio lights up but the power output meter never changes. Almost as if there is no data aside from the PTT notification being send from the DRAWS unit. 

If anyone has some insight on what may be causing this please let me know. Happy to run any commands / dump console outputs if it will help.

73
Matt N7ROO

Tim Sperry
 

Matt,
You may want to reset the radio.
I have done that in the past when problems arise.
I use the included menu settings after I reset the radio.
I am using the left audio channel.
Have you checked the draws manager and make sure AF (pin5) for your channel.
Also make sure Direwolf is not running 
cd
cd bin
sudo su
./ax25-stop

Tim / AG6RS

Matt N7ROO
 

Thanks for the response Tim.

I tried resetting my radio and also reflashed the DRAWS image. I've confirmed that I have the same menu settings as you, and that I'm using the left channel.

I've included a screenshot of the DRAWS Manager settings and have attempted sending both prior to and after configuration. I've also confirmed that Direwolf is not running.

image.png

My FT-891 PTT is still triggered but the power output never changes from zero while transmitting. I've also confirmed that I've not been heard on PSKReporter.

image.png

I've tried both 6 pin cables, in case one was defective, and both 6 pin ports on the DRAWS hat. The only thing I've yet to try is to swap out the USB cable.

Following that I'm all out of ideas.

Cheers,
Matt  - N7ROO


On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 8:30 PM Tim Sperry via Groups.Io <tsperry=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
Matt,
You may want to reset the radio.
I have done that in the past when problems arise.
I use the included menu settings after I reset the radio.
I am using the left audio channel.
Have you checked the draws manager and make sure AF (pin5) for your channel.
Also make sure Direwolf is not running 
cd
cd bin
sudo su
./ax25-stop

Tim / AG6RS

Matt N7ROO
 

Forgot to include my DRAWS manager screenshot!

image.png
Cheers,
Matt  - N7ROO


On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 9:08 PM Matt N7ROO via Groups.Io <n7roo=swift-x.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks for the response Tim.

I tried resetting my radio and also reflashed the DRAWS image. I've confirmed that I have the same menu settings as you, and that I'm using the left channel.

I've included a screenshot of the DRAWS Manager settings and have attempted sending both prior to and after configuration. I've also confirmed that Direwolf is not running.

image.png

My FT-891 PTT is still triggered but the power output never changes from zero while transmitting. I've also confirmed that I've not been heard on PSKReporter.

image.png

I've tried both 6 pin cables, in case one was defective, and both 6 pin ports on the DRAWS hat. The only thing I've yet to try is to swap out the USB cable.

Following that I'm all out of ideas.

Cheers,
Matt  - N7ROO


On Mon, Jul 8, 2019 at 8:30 PM Tim Sperry via Groups.Io <tsperry=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
Matt,
You may want to reset the radio.
I have done that in the past when problems arise.
I use the included menu settings after I reset the radio.
I am using the left audio channel.
Have you checked the draws manager and make sure AF (pin5) for your channel.
Also make sure Direwolf is not running 
cd
cd bin
sudo su
./ax25-stop

Tim / AG6RS

AG6RS@...
 

Matt,

Also make sure your width is set to 3000Hz
I notice on your radio it says LAP on the screen, upper left
Do you have an amp connected?
Maybe try the radio without a tuner or amp connected.

Tim / AG6RS

Matt N7ROO
 

Hello Tim,

Sorry about the delay in my response, life took priority!

I've set my width to 3000 Hz and noticed no difference in my ability to send FT8 transmissions between the DRAWS and my radio.

The LAP on the upper left of my radio screen is showing as my LDG Z100 tuner is connected and I believe that the FT891 needs to have the tuner setting (16-15) set to LAMP mode to utilize it. I've attempted to communicate without a tuner as well, but alas, no luck. 

Cheers,
Matt  - N7ROO


On Sat, Jul 20, 2019 at 10:01 AM <AG6RS@...> wrote:
Matt,

Also make sure your width is set to 3000Hz
I notice on your radio it says LAP on the screen, upper left
Do you have an amp connected?
Maybe try the radio without a tuner or amp connected.

Tim / AG6RS