Topics

[nw-digital-radio] DRAWS™ Cases have moved to production!

Hi John,
Glad we are finally seeing the case finalizede.
Is it possible to run the fan power wire inside the case?
Case will be a nice Christmas present.

73
Don
WB5EKU

On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 11:28 AM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

k7udr posted: "We evaluated the latest samples last week and have approved them for production. Estimated delivery is 6-8 weeks, so we hope to be shipping by the end of the year. Both Early Adopter and Production Cases are now available for pre-order. We were able to"

New post on NW Digital Radio

DRAWS Cases have moved to production!

by k7udr

We evaluated the latest samples last week and have approved them for production. Estimated delivery is 6-8 weeks, so we hope to be shipping by the end of the year. Both Early Adopter and Production Cases are now available for pre-order.

We were able to provide a fan option for both Cases. We tested with this 25mm 5VDC Fan which provides ~10 Deg C temperature reduction when pushing into the case and is silent.

Maker Focus PI-FAN

I'll publish complete thermal results for the Pi 3 & 4 later this week.

Kingston, WA
K7VE

I’ll Look into internal routing but it makes assembly problematic.

Bryan

On Nov 9, 2020, at 11:33 AM, Donald Jacob <wb5eku@...> wrote:

[...]

Don,

We will examine that possibility.  It would require drilling a hole for the pigtail and selecting an internal 5V point to power it.  The testing was done using the accessory jack on the end.

When Bryan publishes the thermals, our preliminary numbers indicate that the fan will not be necessary for most "in shack" installations.  We just wanted to make the option available for those installations where it is needed (e.g. an install in a high temperature environment).

On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 11:34 AM Donald Jacob <wb5eku@...> wrote:
[...]

Steve Stroh

If you're planning to use a Raspberry Pi 3 - no need for a fan at all.
If you're going to use a RPi 4, you may not need a fan as it will
throttle itself or you can use a heatsink.

If a fan is indicated, I plan to drill a small hole directly above the
fan large enough for a rubber grommet and feed the wire through that
hole.

On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 11:34 AM Donald Jacob <wb5eku@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi John,
Glad we are finally seeing the case finalizede.
Is it possible to run the fan power wire inside the case?
Case will be a nice Christmas present.

73
Don
WB5EKU

On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 11:28 AM John D Hays - K7VE <john@hays.org> wrote:

Pre-Order at:
http://nwdigitalradio.com/shop/

[...]

Steve Stroh (personal / general): stevestroh@gmail.com

Since this is a user installed option, which is not needed for most, the 'difficulty' falls to the buyer doesn't it?

On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 11:39 AM Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:
[...]

If a fan is indicated,
If you are interested in characterizing RPi temperature I wrote some
scripts that plot RPi temp, ambient temp & CPU activity.
I use a DHT11 temperature module for ambient temperature measurement.

https://github.com/n7nix/rpi-temp-graph

I need to update the screen shots to include the CPU activity plot.

/Basil

Ruben .

For those of us that purchased Kits early in 2020, will we be mailed cases or do we need to request them.

Thank you,
Ruben
WA2NBL

On Nov 9, 2020, at 1:11 PM, Basil Gunn <basil@pacabunga.com> wrote:

If a fan is indicated,
If you are interested in characterizing RPi temperature I wrote some
scripts that plot RPi temp, ambient temp & CPU activity.
I use a DHT11 temperature module for ambient temperature measurement.

https://github.com/n7nix/rpi-temp-graph

I need to update the screen shots to include the CPU activity plot.

/Basil

They will be shipped automatically. All backorders are shipped by order date..

On Nov 9, 2020, at 1:11 PM, Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:

If a fan is indicated,

If you are interested in characterizing RPi temperature I wrote some
scripts that plot RPi temp, ambient temp & CPU activity.
I use a DHT11 temperature module for ambient temperature measurement.

https://github.com/n7nix/rpi-temp-graph

I need to update the screen shots to include the CPU activity plot.

/Basil

okiejim

Sweet since I ordered in 2019 I will get mine maybe before Christmas!  YaHoo. I have not used my draws since I got it. Been waiting for the case.

On Mon, Nov 9, 2020 at 2:45 PM Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:
They will be shipped automatically. All backorders are shipped by order date..

On Nov 9, 2020, at 12:30 PM, Ruben . <rubenkaf@...> wrote:

For those of us that purchased Kits early in 2020, will we be mailed cases or do we need to request them.

Thank you,
Ruben
WA2NBL
On Nov 9, 2020, at 1:11 PM, Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:

If a fan is indicated,

If you are interested in characterizing RPi temperature I wrote some
scripts that plot RPi temp, ambient temp & CPU activity.
I use a DHT11 temperature module for ambient temperature measurement.

https://github.com/n7nix/rpi-temp-graph

I need to update the screen shots to include the CPU activity plot.

/Basil

Tim Huffaker

I ordered another draws board today and noticed the cases are on back order. I need a case so when can I get one?