Topics

NWDR15 Check

Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ
 

After sitting idle for a bit, I opted to move up from NWDR07 to NWDR15 using a Start From Scratch approach.
I am using a Pi 3.

After I boot and follow the first steps offered by the OS and then reboot, I run the aplay -l command and get :

card 1: udrc [udrc], device 0: bcm2835-i2s-tlv320aic32x4-hifi tlv320aic32x4-hifi-0 []

NOT card 0:

My card 0 shows up three times, each with different device count (7/7, 1/1, 1/1) and ALSA [bcm2535 ALSA]

So, I have stopped and have not run the commands below or app_config.sh core

cd
cd n7nix
git pull

sudo su
apt-get update
apt-get dist-upgrade

What do I need to edit to move the DRAWS to card 0 so the install may continue?

Ed, KD9FRQ

Basil Gunn
 

Hi Ed,

What do I need to edit to move the DRAWS to card 0 so the install may
continue?
You should be fine to continue the install as is.

What my aplay output looks like:

$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA]
Subdevices: 7/7
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 1: bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 2: bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI1 [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI1]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: udrc [udrc], device 0: bcm2835-i2s-tlv320aic32x4-hifi tlv320aic32x4-hifi-0 [bcm2835-i2s-tlv320aic32x4-hifi tlv320aic32x4-hifi-0]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

All this means is that the RPi on board audio device is activated and
the udrc/draws sound device is showing up as the second device. If you
don't like that then comment out (with a #) the line: dtparam=audio=on
probably the last line in the /boot/config.txt file.

/Basil n7nix


Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ via groups.io <ewbloom=verizon.net@groups.io> writes:

|After sitting idle for a bit, I opted to move up from NWDR07 to NWDR15
using a Start From Scratch approach. I am using a Pi 3. After I boot and
follow the first steps offered by the OS and then reboot, I run the
aplay -l command and get : card 1: udrc [udrc], device 0:
bcm2835-i2s-tlv320aic32x4-hifi tlv320aic32x4-hifi-0 [] NOT card 0: My
card 0 shows up three times, each with different device count (7/7, 1/1,
1/1) and ALSA [bcm2535 ALSA] So, I have stopped and have not run the
commands below or app_config.sh core |
|

|cd cd n7nix git pull sudo su apt-getupdate apt-getdist-upgrade What do
I need to edit to move the DRAWS to card 0 so the install may continue?
Ed, KD9FRQ |

Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ
 

Basil,

Thank you.  That is how my aplay -l looks.

I started over because after running the commands below or app_config.sh core & cd cd n7nix git pull sudo su apt-getupdate apt-getdist-upgrade

the first time, the cfgcheck stated I did not running app_config yet.

I will see what I get this time.

Thanks again.

Ed

On 4/5/2020 5:10 PM, Basil Gunn wrote:
Hi Ed,

What do I need to edit to move the DRAWS to card 0 so the install may
continue?
You should be fine to continue the install as is.

What my aplay output looks like:

$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 0: bcm2835 ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA]
Subdevices: 7/7
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
Subdevice #1: subdevice #1
Subdevice #2: subdevice #2
Subdevice #3: subdevice #3
Subdevice #4: subdevice #4
Subdevice #5: subdevice #5
Subdevice #6: subdevice #6
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 1: bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 0: ALSA [bcm2835 ALSA], device 2: bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI1 [bcm2835 IEC958/HDMI1]
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: udrc [udrc], device 0: bcm2835-i2s-tlv320aic32x4-hifi tlv320aic32x4-hifi-0 [bcm2835-i2s-tlv320aic32x4-hifi tlv320aic32x4-hifi-0]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

All this means is that the RPi on board audio device is activated and
the udrc/draws sound device is showing up as the second device. If you
don't like that then comment out (with a #) the line: dtparam=audio=on
probably the last line in the /boot/config.txt file.

/Basil n7nix


Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ via groups.io <ewbloom=verizon.net@groups.io> writes:

|After sitting idle for a bit, I opted to move up from NWDR07 to NWDR15
using a Start From Scratch approach. I am using a Pi 3. After I boot and
follow the first steps offered by the OS and then reboot, I run the
aplay -l command and get : card 1: udrc [udrc], device 0:
bcm2835-i2s-tlv320aic32x4-hifi tlv320aic32x4-hifi-0 [] NOT card 0: My
card 0 shows up three times, each with different device count (7/7, 1/1,
1/1) and ALSA [bcm2535 ALSA] So, I have stopped and have not run the
commands below or app_config.sh core |
|

|cd cd n7nix git pull sudo su apt-getupdate apt-getdist-upgrade What do
I need to edit to move the DRAWS to card 0 so the install may continue?
Ed, KD9FRQ |

Basil Gunn
 

I started over because after running the commands below or app_config.sh
core & cd cd n7nix git pull sudo su apt-getupdate apt-getdist-upgrade

the first time, the cfgcheck stated I did not running app_config yet.
that may be a bug I will look into it.

/Basil

Basil Gunn
 

I started over because after running the commands below or app_config.sh
core & cd cd n7nix git pull sudo su apt-getupdate apt-getdist-upgrade

the first time, the cfgcheck stated I did not running app_config yet.
Could you please copy & paste the console output of the cfgcheck.sh
script.
I ran it on all my running RPi's & it looked OK.

/Basil n7nix

Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ
 

Basil,

I get :

-- app_config.sh core script has NOT been run: hostname : 1, passwd: 0, logfile: 0


73s, Ed, KD9FRQ

On 4/5/2020 6:55 PM, Basil Gunn wrote:
I started over because after running the commands below or app_config.sh
core & cd cd n7nix git pull sudo su apt-getupdate apt-getdist-upgrade

the first time, the cfgcheck stated I did not running app_config yet.
Could you please copy & paste the console output of the cfgcheck.sh
script.
I ran it on all my running RPi's & it looked OK.

/Basil n7nix

Basil Gunn
 

Hi Ed,

hostname : 1, passwd: 0, logfile: 0
This console output just means that your RPi host name is possibly one
of:

"raspberrypi", "compass", "draws"

which I wouldn't use but doesn't really matter.
Your installation should be fine.

/Basil


Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ via groups.io <ewbloom=verizon.net@groups.io> writes:

Basil,

I get :

-- app_config.sh core script has NOT been run: hostname : 1, passwd: 0,
logfile: 0


73s, Ed, KD9FRQ

On 4/5/2020 6:55 PM, Basil Gunn wrote:
I started over because after running the commands below or app_config.sh
core & cd cd n7nix git pull sudo su apt-getupdate apt-getdist-upgrade

the first time, the cfgcheck stated I did not running app_config yet.
Could you please copy & paste the console output of the cfgcheck.sh
script.
I ran it on all my running RPi's & it looked OK.

/Basil n7nix

Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ
 

Thank you, Basil.

Yes, I just tapped enter, accepting all the values as default.

I will move forward the setup of PLU.

Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ
ewbloom@...
Sent from Webmail access


-----Original Message-----
From: Basil Gunn <basil@...>
To: udrc <udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io>
Sent: Mon, Apr 6, 2020 12:08 pm
Subject: Re: [draws and udrc] NWDR15 Check


Hi Ed,

> hostname : 1, passwd: 0, logfile: 0

This console output just means that your RPi host name is possibly one
of:

"raspberrypi", "compass", "draws"

which I wouldn't use but doesn't really matter.
Your installation should be fine.

/Basil


Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ via groups.io <ewbloom=verizon.net@groups.io> writes:

> Basil,
>
> I get :
>
> -- app_config.sh core script has NOT been run: hostname : 1, passwd: 0,
> logfile: 0
>
>
> 73s, Ed, KD9FRQ
>
> On 4/5/2020 6:55 PM, Basil Gunn wrote:
>>> I started over because after running the commands below or app_config.sh
>>> core & cd cd n7nix git pull sudo su apt-getupdate apt-getdist-upgrade
>>>
>>> the first time, the cfgcheck stated I did not running app_config yet.
>> Could you please copy & paste the console output of the cfgcheck.sh
>> script.
>> I ran it on all my running RPi's & it looked OK.
>>
>> /Basil n7nix



Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ
 

Basil,

PLU setup seemed to run successfully.  I am getting an error in Claws-Mail when sending.

*Account 'pi@localhost': Connecting to SMTP server smtp.draws:25...

*** smtp.draws:25: unknown host.

*** Error occurred while sending the message.

What did I do wrong?

Ed

On 4/6/2020 1:17 PM, Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ via groups.io wrote:
Thank you, Basil.

Yes, I just tapped enter, accepting all the values as default.

I will move forward the setup of PLU.

Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ
ewbloom@...
Sent from Webmail access


-----Original Message-----
From: Basil Gunn <basil@...>
To: udrc <udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io>
Sent: Mon, Apr 6, 2020 12:08 pm
Subject: Re: [draws and udrc] NWDR15 Check


Hi Ed,

> hostname : 1, passwd: 0, logfile: 0

This console output just means that your RPi host name is possibly one
of:

"raspberrypi", "compass", "draws"

which I wouldn't use but doesn't really matter.
Your installation should be fine.

/Basil


Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ via groups.io <ewbloom=verizon.net@groups.io> writes:

> Basil,
>
> I get :
>
> -- app_config.sh core script has NOT been run: hostname : 1, passwd: 0,
> logfile: 0
>
>
> 73s, Ed, KD9FRQ
>
> On 4/5/2020 6:55 PM, Basil Gunn wrote:
>>> I started over because after running the commands below or app_config.sh
>>> core & cd cd n7nix git pull sudo su apt-getupdate apt-getdist-upgrade
>>>
>>> the first time, the cfgcheck stated I did not running app_config yet.
>> Could you please copy & paste the console output of the cfgcheck.sh
>> script.
>> I ran it on all my running RPi's & it looked OK.
>>
>> /Basil n7nix



Basil Gunn
 

PLU setup seemed to run successfully. I am getting an error in
Claws-Mail when sending.

*Account 'pi@localhost': Connecting to SMTP server smtp.draws:25...
*** smtp.draws:25: unknown host.
*** Error occurred while sending the message.
Did you use the following instructions to set up Claws-mail?
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/tree/master/email/claws

Note everything is already installed, just look at the configuration
notes.

What did I do wrong?
Most likely specified server address incorrectly.
Should be 'localhost' for both receiving & sending mail.

/Basil n7nix

Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ
 

Basil,

Restated and named my system something new.  All the basic checks now seem to work. And I get local email back, AX25 Start and Stop desktop icon works.

YAAC icon works and started me on the path of setup/configuration. WSJT-X also started and let me start the configuration process. Did not check anything else yet expect Xastir.

Xastir does nothing.  On previous install attempt, I followed the GitHub directions and loaded Xastir that way and then icon worked.  Do I need to do that again?

Also, is there a script to add the split channel icon to the desktop?  I have a second DRAWS setup and I will gladly use it for HF and leave this current install as VHF.

Ed, KD9FRQ

On 4/7/2020 10:32 AM, Basil Gunn wrote:
PLU setup seemed to run successfully. I am getting an error in
Claws-Mail when sending.

*Account 'pi@localhost': Connecting to SMTP server smtp.draws:25...
*** smtp.draws:25: unknown host.
*** Error occurred while sending the message.
Did you use the following instructions to set up Claws-mail?
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/tree/master/email/claws

Note everything is already installed, just look at the configuration
notes.

What did I do wrong?
Most likely specified server address incorrectly.
Should be 'localhost' for both receiving & sending mail.

/Basil n7nix

Basil Gunn
 

Hi Ed,
Just looking back at some of the posts.

Xastir does nothing. On previous install attempt, I followed the GitHub
directions and loaded Xastir that way and then icon worked. Do I need
to do that again?
Solution here:
https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/message/4533?p=,,,20,0,0,0::relevance,,xastir+apt-get,20,2,0,71778905

Also, is there a script to add the split channel icon to the desktop? I
have a second DRAWS setup and I will gladly use it for HF and leave this
current install as VHF.
If you have dedicated RPi's for HF apps & VHF/UHF packet apps then I
would recommend not using split channel and for your HF RPi just make
sure that ax.25/direwolf is not running.

ax25-stop

/Basil n7nix

Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ
 

Thank you, Basil.

I have it working now and can receive APRS.

Ed,  KD9FRQ

On 4/9/2020 11:23 AM, Basil Gunn wrote:
Hi Ed,
Just looking back at some of the posts.

Xastir does nothing. On previous install attempt, I followed the GitHub
directions and loaded Xastir that way and then icon worked. Do I need
to do that again?
Solution here:
https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/message/4533?p=,,,20,0,0,0::relevance,,xastir+apt-get,20,2,0,71778905

Also, is there a script to add the split channel icon to the desktop? I
have a second DRAWS setup and I will gladly use it for HF and leave this
current install as VHF.
If you have dedicated RPi's for HF apps & VHF/UHF packet apps then I
would recommend not using split channel and for your HF RPi just make
sure that ax.25/direwolf is not running.

ax25-stop

/Basil n7nix

Basil Gunn
 

Thank you, Basil.
I have it working now and can receive APRS.
Good work Ed!

Ed, KD9FRQ

On 4/9/2020 11:23 AM, Basil Gunn wrote:
Hi Ed,
Just looking back at some of the posts.

Xastir does nothing. On previous install attempt, I followed the GitHub
directions and loaded Xastir that way and then icon worked. Do I need
to do that again?
Solution here:
https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/message/4533?p=,,,20,0,0,0::relevance,,xastir+apt-get,20,2,0,71778905

Also, is there a script to add the split channel icon to the desktop? I
have a second DRAWS setup and I will gladly use it for HF and leave this
current install as VHF.
If you have dedicated RPi's for HF apps & VHF/UHF packet apps then I
would recommend not using split channel and for your HF RPi just make
sure that ax.25/direwolf is not running.

ax25-stop

/Basil n7nix