Topics

NWDR15 Image observations

Dave Christensen

To the Group:
I am starting a new build from scratch using the new Version 15 image and have found the first gotcha during the first boot, just before doing the OS updates.  I had a dead battery in the DRAWS hat and it would not get past "synchronising clock".  I shut down the system and pulled the Draws battery and started the system this time bypassing the setting the clock problem.  It is now updating and rebooting after updates.

Thanks for building this image
Dave - KD7UM

Basil Gunn

Thanks Dave!
Raspbian just updated their kernel to:
4.19.93-v7+ #1290 SMP Fri Jan 10 16:39:50 GMT 2020
so I'll be refreshing the image just to include that.
Check your kernel version to see if you picked it up with the apt-get
upgrade.

uname -a

/Basil

Dave Christensen <dkc2030@...> writes:

To the Group:
I am starting a new build from scratch using the new Version 15 image and have found the first gotcha during the first boot, just before doing the OS updates. I had a dead battery in the DRAWS hat and it would not get past "synchronising clock". I shut down the system and pulled the Draws battery and started the system this time bypassing the setting the clock problem. It is now updating and rebooting after updates.

Thanks for building this image
Dave - KD7UM

Dave Christensen

I just did the image download and apt-get from the Raspi script today so the kernel I have matches what you listed above:  4.19.93-V7

Are there docs for V15 for install and config?  I am not sure what AX.25-Control does on the desktop.  It runs a while and then stops.  I do a pidof direwolf and don't see it running either before or after running AX.25-control.

I know that the V14 docs really don't apply to V15.

Thanks
Dave

Basil Gunn

I just did the image download and apt-get from the Raspi script today
so the kernel I have matches what you listed above: 4.19.93-V7
Good. I will fix that in the current image so the latest kernel is
installed.

Are there docs for V15 for install and config?
Use the Getting Started Guide
https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/DRAWS%3A-Getting-Started

I am not sure what AX.25-Control does on the desktop. It runs a while
and then stops. I do a pidof direwolf and don't see it running either
before or after running AX.25-control.
The purpose of the AX.25 icon is to run the ax25-start & ax25-stop
scripts AFTER you have done the initial config (see getting started
guide). The icon appearing on the desktop before the initial config
script has been run is a mistake which I will fix.

The intention of the icon was to make it easier to switch between packet
& HF programs. The desktop icon will not work until an initial
configuration has been completed.

Also there are split channel scripts:
split_install.sh
split_status.sh
split_toggle.sh
split_verify.sh

that enable running packet on one channel & HF programs on the other at
the same time.

I know that the V14 docs really don't apply to V15.
nwdr15.img is mostly a program refresh release that adds split-channel
and speed_switch scripts. Speed_switch is for easily switching between
9600 baud & 1200 baud packet without having to reboot. You can view the
current versions of installed programs on the image here:

https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/docs/IMAGE_README.md

I will announce the nwdr15 image in the next couple of days.

Thanks
Dave

Dave Christensen

I had a little trouble finding the getting started stuff since it wasn't a sticky message BUT I did find it and everything verifies OK so far.  The app to start and stop ax25 is a huge deal in simplifying the operation of the HAT. Just ran it to change from APRS to FLdigi - sweet.

Jim Erickson

Wait until you get into the split channel stuff that Basil has been working on.  It’s game changing in that you can run APRS and FLdigi at the same time, two different radios, same Raspberry Pi.  Super Sweet.  Thanks Basil!
------
73,
Jim
VA7SHG - Phone
VE7TGZ/VA7TGZ - Other

Jim Erickson <jim@...> writes:

Wait until you get into the split channel stuff that Basil has been
working on. It’s game changing in that you can run APRS and FLdigi at
the same time, two different radios, same Raspberry Pi. Super Sweet.
Thanks Basil!
First, thank you Jim!
Second, attribution goes to Anna NH6Z as she created the split-channels
repo last April.

The scripts in the n7nix repo, split_install.sh, split_status.sh
split_toggle.sh, hopefully, make setting up Anna's stuff easier.

There is a difference in using the split-channels repo versus my scripts
in that the repo defaults to having HF use the left DRAWS mDin6
connector leaving the right connector for packet or udr0. This is
confusing (to me at least) because udr0 is normally on the left mDin6
connector. The scripts from the n7nix repository defaults to leaving
packet, udr0 on the left connector & using the right connector for HF.

Anyway I think it is kind of cool to have direwolf use only one of the
audio device ports & some HF program like FLdigi use the other. BTW, this
method should work for other sound card devices as well.

/Basil n7nix

------
73,
Jim
VA7SHG - Phone
VE7TGZ/VA7TGZ - Other

On Jan 23, 2020, at 09:59, Dave Christensen <dkc2030@...> wrote:

I had a little trouble finding the getting started stuff since it
wasn't a sticky message BUT I did find it and everything verifies OK
so far. The app to start and stop ax25 is a huge deal in simplifying
the operation of the HAT. Just ran it to change from APRS to FLdigi -
sweet.

Bernard f6bvp

Hi Basil,
I downloaded new nwdr15 image and ran initial setup.
Then I performed app-config.sh core
Following Getting Started Guide I verified ALSA settings with alsa-show.sh
and after becoming root
sudo su
./ax25-start
replied :
User name (pi) does not exist. must be one of:

I must have forgotten something.

73 de Bernard, f6bvp

Basil Gunn

Yep you found a bug. Thanks! Fixed with this commit:
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/commit/abd192b0cca7291c45462089da28f9510afb30b2

if you use ax25-start or ax25-stop as a user (not root) they will work
ok with your current version.

To get fix:

cd
cd n7nix
git pull
cd config
./bin_refresh.sh

/Basil n7nix

f6bvp <f6bvp@...> writes:

Hi Basil,
I downloaded new nwdr15 image and ran initial setup.
Then I performed app-config.sh core
Following Getting Started Guide I verified ALSA settings with alsa-show.sh
and after becoming root
sudo su
./ax25-start
replied :
User name (pi) does not exist. must be one of:

I must have forgotten something.

73 de Bernard, f6bvp

Bernard f6bvp

Hi Basil,