Topics

NWDR15 image release changed to RPi Config backup

Basil Gunn

J P,

I'm not very motivated to write a configuration back-up program. The
following is my thinking, flawed as it may be.

1. I can regen any of my RPi units from a blank mSD card in 30 minutes
or less.
2. I keep a copy of my alsa settings for the 1/2 dozen radios that I
own in my personal wiki.
3. Most of the packet programs have single easy to find configuration
files, so that's easy. Most of the HF programs have directories of
configuration & state in locations I am challenged to locate, so that's
harder.

If I was going to have a configuration back-up utility I would use
rsnapshot:

repo: https://github.com/rsnapshot/rsnapshot
man page: https://linux.die.net/man/1/rsnapshot

which uses rsync. rsync allows you to back-up or copy files locally or
on a remote (Unix) computer. rsnapshot is similar to Apple's time machine
without the gui.

rsnapshot is what I use to back-up my Linux workstations with crontab
entries like the following for daily, weekly, monthly back-up file
rotation.

# m h dom mon dow command
30 2 * * * /usr/bin/rsnapshot daily
30 1 * * 6 /usr/bin/rsnapshot weekly
5 0 1 * * /usr/bin/rsnapshot monthly

If you send me a list of things you are running on your RPi, I will send
you a first cut of what I think the rsnap configuration file
(/etc/rsnapshot.conf) for your RPi would look like. Identify where you
want your back-up files to live ie. on another RPi devoted to backing
stuff up?

All of the above assumes you are running some Linux/Unix machine as well
as your RPi. I do not know or care what the Windows solution is, I don't
use Windows much. Windows is really not that much fun for me to use.

/Basil

J P Watters via Groups.Io <kc9kko=mac.com@groups.io> writes:

Basil or other gifted scripting author,

This is just a thought

If there was a first release of the new year that was going to SIGNIFICANTLY be a game changer, this is it. !!!!

Missing from your scripting is that Holy Grail Script that when run archives the configuration of the of all the installed APPS and the image configuration.

I only wish that I was a script coder that could write a script that would do that archive the configurations, AND also RESTORE the configuration from previously archived configurations.
alas, I am not such a gifed coder and at the mercy of those who are.
ie.
buconfig -l
This simply lists that configuration date and times that configurations were archived.
buconfig
when run without arguments, stores archived versions of the configuration files
buconfig -a -s /home/notmypi/
when run with the -a "archives the current configuration settings" and -s specifies the directory location that the archived configurations are stored.
"normally" the archived configuration files are stored in /home/pi/archivedconfigs
buconfig -r -d 2020-01-24-00:00
when run with the -r it restores the most recently saved configuration files
or when the -d specifies the date or date time, it restores the most recently saved configuration files after the specified date or datetime.
-s -d and other program flags can be used together to maximize the effectiveness of the configuration archive and restoration.
when run with flag "buconfig -a -d 2019-12-31" would archive the current configuration files stored as archived on 2019-12-31-2359
as to represent the last configuration for the year 2019.