Topics

NWDR18 image release announcement

Basil Gunn

Release image nwdr18 Dec 5, 2020
last image nwdr17 Aug 21, 2020

Latest NWDR RPi image, current_image.img.xz has been updated to
nwdr18.img.xz at this location:
http://images.nwdigitalradio.com/downloads

This is the 4th image release this year. See the ChangeLog
(https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/ChangeLog) for
more information about what has changed.

To update your current image without using the new image the following
procedure will get you most of the changes. In a console on your
Raspberry Pi type the following:

**Back-up files you would rather not lose first**

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
cd
cd n7nix
git pull
cd config
./bin_refresh.sh

You can verify & update program versions with these scripts:
./bbs/bbs_verchk.sh
./xastir/xs_verchk.sh
./ax25/ax_verchk.sh
./gps/gp_verchk.sh
./hfprogs/hf_verchk.sh

The hf_verchk.sh script will update to current versions of these HAM
programs. js8call wsjtx fldigi flrig flmsg flamp fllog flxmlrpc

/Basil N7NIX

Jeff Marden

Hello Basil & Group:

I have not used the DRAWS image or HW since image v14.

Would you please reference the starting guide with the v18 image and a new installation in mind?

Jeff Marden
N1JCM

John Spoonhower

Thanks Basil. ..appreciate the efforts.
73, nx2i

On Sat, Dec 5, 2020, 12:52 PM Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you John. Maintaining the image is a labor of love.
Your response means a lot.
/Basil

On Sat, Dec 5, 2020, 12:52 PM Basil Gunn <basil@pacabunga.com> wrote:

[...]

Getting Started Guide is here:
https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/8921

Jeff Marden

Thx!

Jim VA7SHG/VE7TGZ

Basil, I use my DRAWS and the image everyday.  Whether it's FT8, JS8, APRS, SSTV, I'm constantly using it.  I don't think I've updated since Image 16, it's been so stable.  Guess it's time to backup and do a reimage, see what's new.  Thanks for all you do!

73, VA7SHG/VE7TGZ

Jim

On 2020-12-05 12:21 p.m., Basil Gunn wrote:
[...]

Thank you Jim!

Guess it's time to backup and do a reimage, see what's new.
You were probably going to do this anyway but I recommend you keep your
working mSD card as back-up and provision a new mSD card.
/Basil n7nix

On 2020-12-05 12:21 p.m., Basil Gunn wrote:
[...]

Some projects in the n7nix repository that may interest you:

Switch a remote gateway to use 9600 baud packet using Touch Tones
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/tree/master/baudrate
9600 baud packet is my current interest so you will see more on this
topic later on.

Browser based winlink email using paclink-unix & rainloop
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/tree/master/plu

Raspberry Pi hardware watchdog setup (Used on all gateways)
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/tree/master/watchdog
If you are running an RMS or APRS gateway I recommend this.

Browser based APRS tracker (Runs in my truck)
Based on Dan Smith's dantracker software.
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/tree/master/tracker

There are other projects that can be found by browsing around at the
root of the repo. https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix

John Spoonhower <jpspoonhower@gmail.com> writes:

Thanks Basil. ..appreciate the efforts.
73, nx2i

John Spoonhower

Hi Basil,
BTW running gp_verchk.sh reports the following after an update:
2020 12 23 07:20:49 EST: gp_install.sh: gps install script FINISHED

gpsd version built (3.19) does not match source version (3.21)

2020 12 23 07:20:49 EST: gp_verchk.sh: gpsd program update script FINISHED

pi@udrc:~/n7nix/gps $ ./gp_verchk.sh
gp_verchk.sh: Detected gpsd package.
gpsd: current version: 3.21, installed: 3.19

73, John, NX2I

On Sat, Dec 5, 2020 at 12:52 PM Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:

[...]

and.....it appears that after the update the AX25 daemon is misconfigured.
73, John, NX2I

pi@udrc:~/n7nix/ax25 $ ./ax25-showcfg.sh

 === Display kissparms & ax25dev-parms
port: 0, speed: 1200, slottime: 200, txdelay: 500, txtail: 100, persist: 32, t1 timeout: 3000, t2 timeout: 1000
port: 1, speed: 1200, slottime: 200, txdelay: 500, txtail: 100, persist: 32, t1 timeout: 3000, t2 timeout: 1000

 == kissparms from /etc/ax25/ax25-upd
        $KISSPARMS -p ${PORTNAME_1} -f no -l $TXTAIL -r $PERSIST -s $SLOTTIME -t $TXDELAY
            $KISSPARMS -p ${PORTNAME_1} -f no -l $TXTAIL -r $PERSIST -s $SLOTTIME -t $TXDELAY
            $KISSPARMS -p ${PORTNAME_1} -f no -l $TXTAIL -r $PERSIST -s $SLOTTIME -t $TXDELAY
            $KISSPARMS -p ${PORTNAME_2} -f no -l $TXTAIL -r $PERSIST -s $SLOTTIME -t $TXDELAY
        $KISSPARMS -p ${PORTNAME_1} -f no -l $TXTAIL -r $PERSIST -s $SLOTTIME -t $TXDELAY

 ===== ax.25 config
Found directory: /proc/sys/net/ax25/*
*: cat: '/proc/sys/net/ax25/*/*': No such file or directory

 ==== List All sound card device names (3)
card 0: b1 [bcm2835 HDMI 1]
card 1: Headphones [bcm2835 Headphones]
card 2: udrc [udrc]

 ======= DRAWS
 ===== ALSA Controls for Radio Transmit =====
LO Driver Gain  L:[-6.00dB] R:[-6.00dB]
PCM        L:[5.00dB] R:[5.00dB]
DAC Playback PT L:[P3] R:[P3]
LO Playback CM [Full Chip]

 ===== ALSA Controls for Radio Receive =====
ADC Level L:[0.00dB] R:[0.00dB]
IN1 L:[10 kOhm] R:[10 kOhm]
IN2 L:[10 kOhm] R:[10 kOhm]
CM L:[10 kOhm] R:[10 kOhm]

===== Port baudrate
DireWolf: udr0 speed: 1200, udr1 speed: 1200
AX.25:    udr0 speed: 1200, udr1 speed: 1200

===== axports
axudp N0ONE-8 115200 253 2 Linux (AX25<->UDP)

 ===== ax25d.conf

 ===== wl2k.conf
paclink-unix not configured.

On Wed, Dec 23, 2020 at 7:44 AM John Spoonhower via groups.io <jpspoonhower=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

It appears you haven't followed the "Getting Started Guide"
https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/8921

What is displayed is what I would expect if you haven't done an
'ifconfig.sh core' and 'ax25-start' ie. you haven't initialized your
call sign or started ax-25.

Please read and follow the "Getting Started Guide"

pi@udrc:~/n7nix/ax25 $ ./ax25-showcfg.sh

=== Display kissparms & ax25dev-parms

Basil Gunn

NWDR18 comes with gpsd version 3.21 installed.

./gp_verchk.sh
gp_verchk.sh: Detected gpsd package.
gpsd: current version: 3.21, installed: 3.21

Not sure why your gpsd version is at 3.19 unless you are not using
the NWDR18 image.

Run this command in a console to display the image version you are
using:

head -n1 /var/log/udr_install.log

2020 12 04 13:45:55 PST: SD image version: nwdr18

Also do NOT update gpsd with apt as I maintain the latest version from
source.

On Sat, Dec 5, 2020 at 12:52 PM Basil Gunn <basil@pacabunga.com> wrote:

[...]

Eric Williams

Hi team,
I've been having issues with the Draws hat and it is installed on a Pi4.  I first tried getting it to work on KM4ACKs Build-a-Pi (Ham experimentation right?). Then I formatted my sd card and followed the getting started guide https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/8921 for image nwdr18.img.xz 2020-Dec-05 08:36:33 1.8G and got as far as the fldigi configuration.  ax.25/direwolf appeared to work and sent/received appropriately.  fldigi keys the radio (yaesu FT-100d attached currently to 1 watt to dummy load) but it appears my cat cable is not reading or setting the radio frequency so I also tried fiddling with flrig to no avail.  I stopped here.  Reading further:

Placing A Hold On Kernel Upgrade

  • For reference only, the current Linux kernel is safe to use with DRAWS
  • To verify your current kernel version

    uname -r
  • You should see: 4.19.118-v7l+

  • If you see : 5.4.51-v7l+ then your DRAWS hat will have problems

    • The driver for the TI ads1015 chip is missing in this kernel.
    • To revert your kernel back to 4.19.118 run the following (courtesy of Thomas KF7RSF):

      sudo rpi-upgrade e1050e94821a70b2e4c72b318d6c6c968552e9a2
  • Do NOT use the following commands:

    • apt-get dist-upgrade
    • apt full-upgrade
What I saw was not kernel 4.19....
and n7nix's verify_config guide 'sensors' fails to show
 ads1015-i2c-1-48
so I try
    • sudo rpi-upgrade e1050e94821a70b2e4c72b318d6c6c968552e9a2
and get sudo: rpi-upgrade: command not found

I formatted (again) and haven't connected to network or configured anything.
First check of uname -r gives me 5.4.79-v7l+

Help, please and thank you!
Eric Williams de KF4YEP

Basil Gunn

Eric,

Placing A Hold On Kernel Upgrade
* FOR REFERENCE ONLY, the current Linux kernel is safe to use with
DRAWS
You do NOT need to place a hold on kernel upgrade. That procedure was to
fix a problem that affected the DRAWS overlay last summer.

I will take this reference out of the 'Getting Started Guide' later on
today because that section was "For reference only, the current Linux
kernel is safe to use with DRAWS"

The drivers in the current kernel, 5.4.79-v7l+ #1373, works fine with DRAWS.

kf4yep@gmail.com writes:

Hi team,
I've been having issues with the Draws hat and it is installed on a Pi4. I first tried getting it to work on KM4ACKs Build-a-Pi (Ham experimentation right?). Then I formatted my sd card and followed the getting started guide https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/8921 for image nwdr18.img.xz ( http://nwdig.net/downloads/nwdr18.img.xz ) 2020-Dec-05 08:36:33 1.8G and got as far as the fldigi configuration. ax.25/direwolf appeared to work and sent/received appropriately. fldigi keys the radio (yaesu FT-100d attached currently to 1 watt to dummy load) but it appears my cat cable is not reading or setting the radio frequency so I also tried fiddling with flrig to no avail. I stopped here. Reading further:
--------------------------------

* For reference only, the current Linux kernel is safe to use with DRAWS
*

[...]

Thanks Basil for the rapid response,

That's good to know.  So, how do I get the frequencies to show up in the display and/or flrig?  The cat cable is CT-62 with USB end.  No serial-to-usb converters in the middle.

Basil Gunn

Re-stating your problem to see if I have it right:

CAT control is not working between an RPi 4 and and a Yaesu FT-100D
which is a multiband HF/VHF/UHF radio.
Connection is through a Yaesu CT-62 cable which is an 8 pin mDin to
USB serial device connection.

This has nothing to do with the DRAWS hat!

The most common problem is finding the correct Linux serial device name
for FLdigi/FLrig.

# With the CT-62 disconnected from the RPi find all current USB serial
device names:

ls /dev/ttyU*
ls: cannot access '/dev/ttyU*': No such file or directory

# In my case their are NO USB serial devices plugged into the RPi.
# Now plug your CT-62 cable into your RPi and execute 'ls' to find the
# name of the serial device.

ls /dev/ttyU*
/dev/ttyUSB0

# In this case the USB serial device name is /dev/ttyUSB0
# This is the device name to use in your FLdigi/FLrig configuration for
# CAT control.

Note if you unplug/plug your CT-62 cable in your RPi while it is running the
device name will change.

Eric Williams <kf4yep@gmail.com> writes:

Thanks Basil for the rapid response,

That's good to know. So, how do I get the frequencies to show up in
the display and/or flrig? The cat cable is CT-62 with USB end. No
serial-to-usb converters in the middle.

With a little digging you can find the unique identifier for the plugged in CT-62 cable and create a udev description to give it a name that remains consistent between plug-in instances.

An example for the ThumbDV™ is found at
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/ambeserver-install/blob/master/etc/udev/rules.d/99-thumbdv.rules
It makes link at /dev/ThumbDV regardless of which ttyUSB# the device is plugged into.

Also doing a ls /dev/serial/by-id will provide a direct path to the plugged in USB serial device.

Eric Williams <kf4yep@...> writes:

> Thanks Basil for the rapid response,
>
> That's good to know. So, how do I get the frequencies to show up in
> the display and/or flrig? The cat cable is CT-62 with USB end. No
> serial-to-usb converters in the middle.

Kingston, WA
K7VE

Jack Spitznagel

Thank you John! This is a very helpful hint. – Jack KD4IZ