Topics

OK, How about connecting to the FT-991A?

Charlie Hein

Hi folks - I've been gently steered away from trying to connect the DRAWS to my HT, so I'm looking now at connecting it up to my Yaesu FT-991A.  I could use some experienced advice.

I'm a bit confused because when I operate from my Windows Laptop I only use the USB cable and utilize the sound card built in to the 991A.  For the DRAWS board it seems I'll need to connect to the data port on the radio, and that it should be a direct pin for pin fit to the data jack on the radio.  Does anyone know if there are any settings that I'd need to change on the 991 in order to use its data port, and if so what they would be?  I think that if this is going to be a big change I'd like to make sure my current configs for the 991A are backed up for later, so if you have experience with this I'd appreciate your counsel.   

Also, I'd think I would still need the USB connection for CAT control if I wanted to use a program that calls for it like WSJT-X for instance, but wouldn't that also give me another sound card that I really don't need?  Where do you get the proper drivers for the RPi for this?  I only see Windows drivers on the Yaesu site.

Charlie

Andrew P.

In the Yaesu case, why do you need the DRAWS card (except possibly for GPS and power)?

Just use the one USB link to the radio. Linux has generic USB sound and serial port drivers that should work with the Yaesu plug-and play (plug-and-pray?). Plug it in and see if an additional sound card and /dev/ttyUSBn devices appear.

Andrew, KA2DDO

Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 3:01 PM
To: udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io
Subject: [draws and udrc] OK, How about connecting to the FT-991A?

Hi folks - I've been gently steered away from trying to connect the DRAWS to my HT, so I'm looking now at connecting it up to my Yaesu FT-991A. I could use some experienced advice.

I'm a bit confused because when I operate from my Windows Laptop I only use the USB cable and utilize the sound card built in to the 991A. For the DRAWS board it seems I'll need to connect to the data port on the radio, and that it should be a direct pin for pin fit to the data jack on the radio. Does anyone know if there are any settings that I'd need to change on the 991 in order to use its data port, and if so what they would be? I think that if this is going to be a big change I'd like to make sure my current configs for the 991A are backed up for later, so if you have experience with this I'd appreciate your counsel.

Also, I'd think I would still need the USB connection for CAT control if I wanted to use a program that calls for it like WSJT-X for instance, but wouldn't that also give me another sound card that I really don't need? Where do you get the proper drivers for the RPi for this? I only see Windows drivers on the Yaesu site.

Charlie

Charlie Hein

Well Andrew, you might certainly make the case that I don't really need the DRAWS board at all for the 991A (although that's a really awful sales pitch to an owner of the radio I suppose, as an external USB GPS and a cheapie buck converter/regulator would be far less than the cost of the DRAWS board), but in this case I want very much to test the functionality of the ports that are are on the board and the ability of these ports to minimally control PTT and pass audio to the radio for packet radio. Ultimately I will very likely not be permanently setting up the 991A with the DRAWS workstation in this fashion, but for now my only other other option to get this up on the air and working for testing and software setup is to hook up to a hand held to test direct connection to the radio ports on the board, and I've been gently discouraged from trying this due to expected poor performance from the hand held.

Hope that makes sense.

Charlie

Andrew P.

True, but you also paid a lot for that radio to provide those extra USB interfaces, instead of some cheaper radio with only a data port (or even just speaker and mike jacks) and no built-in sound cards (don't remind me how much I paid for my Icom IC-7100 when it first came out., versus the new price now. ouch!). Considering the DRAWS board's GPS provides 1PPS for precision time setting (can't do that with a USB puck), plus it has not one but two sound cards on it for the two ports, it's cheaper than a GPS puck and a pair of SignaLinks and takes up less room and power, and you could be using two less expensive radios simultaneously (Kenwood TM-V71 or something even cheaper like a single-bander).

I assume you got the radio before the DRAWS board.

Andrew, KA2DDO

Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2020 3:40 PM
To: udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [draws and udrc] OK, How about connecting to the FT-991A?

Well Andrew, you might certainly make the case that I don't really need the DRAWS board at all for the 991A (although that's a really awful sales pitch to an owner of the radio I suppose, as an external USB GPS and a cheapie buck converter/regulator would be far less than the cost of the DRAWS board), but in this case I want very much to test the functionality of the ports that are are on the board and the ability of these ports to minimally control PTT and pass audio to the radio for packet radio. Ultimately I will very likely not be permanently setting up the 991A with the DRAWS workstation in this fashion, but for now my only other other option to get this up on the air and working for testing and software setup is to hook up to a hand held to test direct connection to the radio ports on the board, and I've been gently discouraged from trying this due to expected poor performance from the hand held.

Hope that makes sense.

Charlie

Charlie Hein

I've had the 991A for about two years now, really like the radio.  Frankly, the 991A was not top of mind for connecting to the Pi as I already have a battle-hardened digital setup in place for windows that I don't want to wreck (hence the need to back up configuration before experimenting with the DRAWS).  I have a separate existing packet setup that I'd like to turn into a more feature filled system (replacing the 20+ year old TNC with the DRAWS workstation). I need the Pi do do that because I don't want to pony up for another windows system to dedicate to that job when I already own the Pi.  Hence the DRAWS board.   I do *not in any way* want to tear that system down until the DRAWS workstation is fully configured and running in test bed (on the 991A since evidently my available HT's are not suitable), and so that's 99.999% of the reason I'm asking about hookup to the 991...

I tossed the extra wrinkle of the CAT connection into the mix just so I could try it out for fun (how well does it really work compared to my windows system???  hmmm...), but CAT functionality doesn't really fit into my more immediate plans.  I just like chasing thoughts down the rabbit hole.

Make more sense now?

Charlie

I always recommend using a Radio’s internal sound card over any external interface.

On my home rig I have a TM-V71 and an Alinco 235 connected to DRAWS doing packet. I’m moving to the IC-7300 for HF via USB.

Bryan K7UDR

On Jul 28, 2020, at 1:33 PM, Charlie Hein <chein@...> wrote:

I've had the 991A for about two years now, really like the radio.  Frankly, the 991A was not top of mind for connecting to the Pi as I already have a battle-hardened digital setup in place for windows that I don't want to wreck (hence the need to back up configuration before experimenting with the DRAWS).  I have a separate existing packet setup that I'd like to turn into a more feature filled system (replacing the 20+ year old TNC with the DRAWS workstation). I need the Pi do do that because I don't want to pony up for another windows system to dedicate to that job when I already own the Pi.  Hence the DRAWS board.   I do *not in any way* want to tear that system down until the DRAWS workstation is fully configured and running in test bed (on the 991A since evidently my available HT's are not suitable), and so that's 99.999% of the reason I'm asking about hookup to the 991...

I tossed the extra wrinkle of the CAT connection into the mix just so I could try it out for fun (how well does it really work compared to my windows system???  hmmm...), but CAT functionality doesn't really fit into my more immediate plans.  I just like chasing thoughts down the rabbit hole.

Make more sense now?

Charlie

Charlie Hein

Ok, I'll stop asking about the ports until I actually am forced to have to use one <grin>. 

Charlie

Eric Grumling

Do radio USB sound cards ports pass de-emphasized audio?

Charlie Hein

Just as a follow up on this, it is super straightforward to connect the 991-A to a DRAWS port.  It's a pin for pin match with the cables that come with the card, so no problem there.  Assuming that you've already used the 991A USB connector for digital modes in the past on another PC, the only thing that needs to be done to switch from using the USB connection to the RTTY/Data jack on the back of the radio is to go into setup and change menu item 072 to "DATA" from "USB".  Worked perfectly right off.  Just to be clear, it also works perfectly through the USB cable as well.

Charlie