Topics

OpenRepeater running witH DRAWS hat #udrc

km4cj@...

Has any one been successful with getting OpenRepeater to run with the DRAWS hat.  The radio control interfaces are fine, PTT and COS via the I/O mapping.  The issue is getting OpenRepeater to see the UDRC sound device.  I downloaded the latest OpenRepeater image and ran it on the board.  I added

dtoverlay=

dtoverlay=draws,alsaname=udrc

force_turbo=1

 to the boot/config.txt file.
The Linux Kernal of the Open Repeater build is 4.19.66-v7+

Any suggestions from the group.  Thanks in advance
Steve

Basil Gunn

Assuming you are usin SVXLink
In file /etc/svxlink/svxlink.conf

In section [RX1]
[Rx1]
TYPE=Local
AUDIO_DEV=alsa:plughw:CARD=udrc,DEV=0

In section [TX1]
[Tx1]

km4cj@... writes:

Has any one been successful with getting OpenRepeater to run with the DRAWS hat. The radio control interfaces are fine, PTT and COS via the I/O mapping. The issue is getting OpenRepeater to see the UDRC sound device. I downloaded the latest OpenRepeater image and ran it on the board. I added

dtoverlay=

dtoverlay=draws,alsaname=udrc

force_turbo=1

to the boot/config.txt file.
The Linux Kernal of the Open Repeater build is 4.19.66-v7+

Any suggestions from the group. Thanks in advance
Steve

km4cj@...

First of all thank you Basil for the quick response.  The svxlink.conf file was there, but empty.  I added the sections above, rebooted, but the udrc port did not show up.  I typed the aplay -l command and comes back with "no soundcards found".  So still not able to get the audio device recognized.

Basil Gunn

Steve,

I typed the aplay -l command and comes back with "no soundcards found"
You need to fix this first.

If you have trouble listing any sound card devices then use the NWDR SD
card image and follow the "Getting Started Guide"
https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/8921

The svxlink.conf file is quite extensive, that is you would need more
than the two sections I mentioned in my previous post. The config file I
use for Echolink is over 230 lines. If you want to see the contents of
this file go to this repository
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/echolink

You should be able to find the diff files there as well to see the
changes I made from the original installed file. The fact that there
was nothing in your svxlink.conf file would make me think that the
installation did not complete properly.

km4cj@... writes:

First of all thank you Basil for the quick response. The svxlink.conf
file was there, but empty. I added the sections above, rebooted, but
the udrc port did not show up. I typed the aplay -l command and comes
back with "no soundcards found". So still not able to get the audio
device recognized.

Ken Koster

On Sunday, October 4, 2020 4:08:47 PM PDT km4cj@... wrote:

> First of all thank you Basil for the quick response.  The svxlink.conf file

> was there, but empty.  I added the sections above, rebooted, but the udrc

> port did not show up.  I typed the aplay -l command and comes back with "no

> soundcards found".  So still not able to get the audio device recognized.

The svxlink.conf file may indeed be legitimately empty.   OpenRepeater uses it's own method and from what I understand will ignore what's there.

I would guess that the real problem is the lack of an alsa udrc sound device.  Fix that as Basil suggests in his other email and I suspect the OpenRepeater web interface will find the udrc and let you select it.

I can't say for sure because I use the stock SVXLink but I'd be surprised if OpenRepeater can't handle it.

Ken - N7IPB

Email: n7ipb@...

JID: n7ipb@...

SvxLink Repeaters: http://pnw220.wetnet.net

PGP Sig: F42B EF90 3CD3 31C7 3056  122E 993A 7B2E 5138 C42A

*Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving

safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,

thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

"WOW, What a ride!"

Basil Gunn

Please follow Ken's advice on OpenRepeater.

Use aplay -l to determine if your DRAWS device /boot/config.txt entry is
working. To verify your entry you need to see a line similar to the one
below from the aplay command:
card x: udrc [udrc], device 0: bcm2835-i2s-tlv320aic32x4-hifi tlv320aic32x4-hifi-0 []

There are some notes here on making a Raspberry Pi OS image enumerate a
DRAWS device:
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/docs/DRAWS_CONFIG.md#make-your-own-raspberry-pi-image

and as I mentioned before if you have problems getting this to work just use
the NWDR image with instructions for provisioning your SD card here:

Ken Koster <n7ipb@...> writes:

On Sunday, October 4, 2020 4:08:47 PM PDT km4cj@... wrote:
First of all thank you Basil for the quick response. The svxlink.conf file
was there, but empty. I added the sections above, rebooted, but the udrc
port did not show up. I typed the aplay -l command and comes back with "no
soundcards found". So still not able to get the audio device recognized.
The svxlink.conf file may indeed be legitimately empty. OpenRepeater uses it's
own method and from what I understand will ignore what's there.

I would guess that the real problem is the lack of an alsa udrc sound device.
Fix that as Basil suggests in his other email and I suspect the OpenRepeater
web interface will find the udrc and let you select it.

I can't say for sure because I use the stock SVXLink but I'd be surprised if
OpenRepeater can't handle it.

km4cj@...

Thanks for the tips.  That is actually where I started.  I did a fresh draws image.  aplay -l showed udrc as a sound device.  Then I ran the OpenRepeater install script.  It installed with no errors.   Then rebooted.   I boots to the raspberry login GUI, and when I login it reverts back to the login GUI.  But OpenRepeater runs a server with an html interface.  So ran that, but udrc was still not available. I assume the OpenRepeater load script overwrote several things.  I am sure one could edit the install script to just load the essentials, but am not proficient in the Linux file system.    I think the DRAWS hat would be a great hardware solution for OpenRepeater and provides a lower cost alternative to some of the other radio interface hats.

I will continue to experiment and see what I can learn.
Thanks again for the comments!