Topics

Pac-Link account password does not match #pac-link #paclink-unix

Kevin K. - N7KJK

Hello,
I'm running a fresh setup of Beta 13..  All the configuration scripts seem to have worked.  I am using a dual band Yaesu FT-7800. I've successfully connected with wl2kax25 command to a gateway nearby.  Handshake and challenge messages all work.  I think I actually had one successful connection with a check for inbound email.  Now all attempts end with the "secure login failed - account password does not match"  message.  I've made several attempts to change my winlink password update the config file, and even manually specify the parameter in the command line.  No luck.

I've tested the password with send and receive using WinLink on my Windows 10 PC (telnet Winlink) .  Works just fine after updating the password in configuration.

I am aware that we have to be careful with updates to Beta 13.  I was wondering if there's a safe and/or advisable way to just update Pac-Link program.  I know there were errors regarding the secure connection passwords is some version of Pac-Link.
I'm relatively new to the PI operating system.  Please be very clear and complete with any instructions. You won't insult my intelligence. :)  Thanks
Kevin
N7KJK

Basil Gunn

There was a change make to paclink-unix source after Beta 13 was posted
that fixed a case bug in the Winlink password. The file that changed was
wl2k.c.

Verify that your password is correct including upper & lower case,
look at line containing: wl2k-password=
cat /usr/local/etc/wl2k.conf

You can verify the version of paclink-unix you are running by:
wl2ktelnet -v

The fix for the password case is in version 0.8
To update to the latest version of paclink-unix do the following:

cd /usr/local/src/paclink-unix
git pull
./buildall.sh

Test paclink-unix version number has changed to 0.8 by running
wl2ktelnet -v

then

wl2ktelnet

Send me the console output of the above command.
/Basil n7nix

Kevin K. - N7KJK <kkutzera@...> writes:

[...]

I changed my password in WinLink a couple times and tested with WinLink on my Windows PC. I set the password with all lower case characters because of the nature of the reported issue.  Tested actual invalid entry in WinLink to make sure my new password was actually updated throughout the network.
Tonight I'll boot up the PI and check on the version number, then attempt the git pull as you indicated.   Thanks
Kevin

Kevin K. - N7KJK

succeeded in updating from 0.7 to 0.8.
the w2ktelnet command completed without errors and sent my gmail account three emails successfully via the PI's Internet connection.

Attempts to use the radio results in my transmission, and what I believe is the gateway's response (hearing it on the radio).  Unfortunately now the PI isn't receiving the responses as it did with the .7 version.
I've tested both serial ports and tried both the setalsa-default, and the setalsa-ft817 setup files.
Not sure what changed on the receiving end of this.
Kevin

Kevin K. - N7KJK

And now about 25% of the time I'm seeing
Connected
Child process  calling wl2kexchange()
Porposal code C type E. mid....  Yada yada..   The after about a minute a time out.
So This now might just be basic radio reception.
I think I need to change my antenna setup at this point. Very inconsistent response from a gateway that yesterday was 100%.
I'll keep this thread updated.
Thanks
Kevin

Basil Gunn

Need to see the console output from the wl2kax25 command.
Not sure what you mean by "I've tested both serial ports".
Which mDin6 connector are you using left or right?
Updating paclink-unix will not affect the DRAWS config or radio config
at all.
Verify that the connector used, the port in ax25port= in
/usr/local/etc/wl2k.conf and portname in /etc/ax25/axports match. ie. left port is
udr0, right is udr1

run the chk_mail.sh script like this:

cd
cd n7nix/debug
./chk_mail.sh

/Basil n7nix

Kevin K. - N7KJK <kkutzera@...> writes:

succeeded in updating from 0.7 to 0.8.
the w2ktelnet command completed without errors and sent my gmail account three emails successfully via the PI's Internet connection.

Attempts to use the radio results in my transmission, and what I believe is the gateway's response (hearing it on the radio). Unfortunately now the PI isn't receiving the responses as it did with the .7 version.
I've tested both serial ports and tried both the setalsa-default, and the setalsa-ft817 setup files.
Not sure what changed on the receiving end of this.
Kevin

Basil Gunn

Try measuring your deviation.
https://www.febo.com/packet/layer-one/transmit.html

You can send a tone using the measure_deviate.sh script found here:
n7nix/deviation

Use John's draws-manager web app to vary LO Driver Gain & PCM

Still waiting to see ALL of your wl2kax25 console output.
/Basil n7nix

Kevin K. - N7KJK <kkutzera@...> writes:

And now about 25% of the time I'm seeing
Connected
Child process calling wl2kexchange()
Porposalcode C type E. mid.... Yada yada.. The after about a minute a time out.
So This now might just be basic radio reception.
I think I need to change my antenna setup at this point. Very inconsistent response from a gateway that yesterday was 100%.
I'll keep this thread updated.
Thanks
Kevin

Kevin K. - N7KJK

OK I'm guessing some terminology here.
I've tried both Din6 ports by enter -a udr0  or -a udr1.  I move the cable to the appropriate connection and it does make the radio transmit.
I'm listening to the frequency on an HT, and I see the power meter on the radio along with the transmit indicator.

ax25port=udr0, which seems to be the left one on the PI as it transmits and receives (sometimes) when I don't override it at the command line.

Here's a output without any gateway response.
$ wl2kax25 -c W7AUX-10 -V
wl2kax25  0.8 Using gmime version 2.6.22
wl2kax25: Using this config:
  My callsign: N7KJK
  Target callsign: W7AUX-10
  Ax25 port: udr0
  WL2K secure login password: kjkstar!
  Timeout: 120
  Email address: kkutzera@...
  Flags: verbose = On, send-only = Off
connect(): Connection timed out

******************************
Here's one where the gateway seems to answer but the program doesn't get the data (I hear the transmission).
pi@N7KJKPI:~/n7nix/debug $ wl2kax25 -c W7AUX-10 -V
wl2kax25  0.8 Using gmime version 2.6.22
wl2kax25: Using this config:
  My callsign: N7KJK
  Target callsign: W7AUX-10
  Ax25 port: udr0
  WL2K secure login password: kjkstar!
  Timeout: 120
  Email address: kkutzera@...
  Flags: verbose = On, send-only = Off
Connected to AX.25 stack
Child process
Child process calling wl2kexchange()
wl2kax25: ---

Timed out, exiting wl2kax25!
▒vG▒▒▒v▒▒v▒X▒~▒X▒~▒▒v▒<▒v▒▒▒v▒5▒vf▒▒▒}▒▒▒v▒▒vL▒v▒<▒v▒X▒~▒H▒v▒▒v@▒vX▒▒vEOF on child fd, terminating communications loop.
Closing ax25 connection
Child exit status: 1
PuTTYWaiting for AX25 peer ... timeout
pi@N7KJKPI:~/n7nix/debug $

*********************

pi@N7KJKPI:~ $ wl2ktelnet
Connecting to cms.winlink.org 8772 ...
Connected.

Callsign : N7KJK
Password :
wl2ktelnet: ---
 outbound proposal list
wl2ktelnet: proposal code C type E mid 7M4CPE_N7KJK usize 241 csize 187 next 0x145b8b0 path 7M4CPE_N7KJK ubuf 0x145b780 cbuf 0x145b738
wl2ktelnet: proposal code C type E mid 1BE5LO_N7KJK usize 209 csize 186 next (nil) path 1BE5LO_N7KJK ubuf 0x145b6e8 cbuf 0x145b700
wl2ktelnet: <[WL2K-5.0-B2FWIHJM$]
wl2ktelnet: sid [WL2K-5.0-B2FWIHJM$] inboundsidcodes -B2FWIHJM$
wl2ktelnet: <;PQ: 36750398
wl2ktelnet: Challenge received: 36750398
wl2ktelnet: <CMS>
wl2ktelnet: >[UnixLINK-0.8-B2FIHM$]
wl2ktelnet: >;PR: 18531759
wl2ktelnet: >; WL2K DE N7KJK QTC 2
wl2ktelnet: >FC EM 7M4CPE_N7KJK 241 187 0
wl2ktelnet: >FC EM 1BE5LO_N7KJK 209 186 0
wl2ktelnet: >F> FF
wl2ktelnet: <FS YY
wl2ktelnet: transmitting [Second PI test] [offset 0]
wl2ktelnet: ... 187
wl2ktelnet: transmitting [test of ax25 .8 version] [offset 0]
wl2ktelnet: ... 186
wl2ktelnet: <FF [2]
wl2ktelnet: DELETING PROPOSAL:
wl2ktelnet: proposal code C type E mid 7M4CPE_N7KJK usize 241 csize 187 next 0x145b8b0 path 7M4CPE_N7KJK ubuf 0x145b780 cbuf 0x145b738
wl2ktelnet: DELETING PROPOSAL:
wl2ktelnet: proposal code C type E mid 1BE5LO_N7KJK usize 209 csize 186 next (nil) path 1BE5LO_N7KJK ubuf 0x145b6e8 cbuf 0x145b700
wl2ktelnet: >FQ

*********************************
pi@N7KJKPI:~/n7nix/debug $ ./chk_mail.sh
chk_mail.sh started: Mon Jul 22 22:07:50 PDT 2019

Pulling callsign from axports file
Call sign set to N7KJK
Using Real Name: "Kevin Kutzera"

chk_mail.sh finished: Mon Jul 22 22:07:56 PDT 2019
file count b4: 1  after: 2 in 1 seconds
Connecting to cms.winlink.org 8772 ...
Connected.

Callsign : N7KJK
Password :
wl2ktelnet: ---
 outbound proposal list
wl2ktelnet: proposal code C type E mid 6JC85T_N7KJK usize 255 csize 196 next 0x1c066f8 path 6JC85T_N7KJK ubuf 0x1c06780 cbuf 0x1c06738
wl2ktelnet: proposal code C type E mid K3Q1LL_N7KJK usize 6077 csize 2678 next (nil) path K3Q1LL_N7KJK ubuf 0x1c06690 cbuf 0x1c06658
wl2ktelnet: <[WL2K-5.0-B2FWIHJM$]
wl2ktelnet: sid [WL2K-5.0-B2FWIHJM$] inboundsidcodes -B2FWIHJM$
wl2ktelnet: <;PQ: 84692058
wl2ktelnet: Challenge received: 84692058
wl2ktelnet: <CMS>
wl2ktelnet: >[UnixLINK-0.8-B2FIHM$]
wl2ktelnet: >;PR: 38421351
wl2ktelnet: >; WL2K DE N7KJK QTC 2
wl2ktelnet: >FC EM 6JC85T_N7KJK 255 196 0
wl2ktelnet: >FC EM K3Q1LL_N7KJK 6077 2678 0
wl2ktelnet: >F> 85
wl2ktelnet: <;PM: N7KJK 7M4CPE_N7KJK 161 N7KJK@... Second PI test
wl2ktelnet: Found WL2K extension, pending msg
wl2ktelnet: <FS YY
wl2ktelnet: transmitting [//WL2K N7KJKPI plu 07/22/19, size: 32, #0] [offset 0]
wl2ktelnet: ... 196
wl2ktelnet: transmitting [//WL2K N7KJKPI plu 07/22/19, size: 5675, #2] [offset 0]
wl2ktelnet: ... 2678
wl2ktelnet: ... 2423
wl2ktelnet: ... 2168
wl2ktelnet: ... 1913
wl2ktelnet: ... 1658
wl2ktelnet: ... 1403
wl2ktelnet: ... 1148
wl2ktelnet: ... 893
wl2ktelnet: ... 638
wl2ktelnet: ... 383
wl2ktelnet: ... 128
wl2ktelnet: <FC EM 7M4CPE_N7KJK 192 161 0 [28]
wl2ktelnet: DELETING PROPOSAL:
wl2ktelnet: proposal code C type E mid 6JC85T_N7KJK usize 255 csize 196 next 0x1c066f8 path 6JC85T_N7KJK ubuf 0x1c06780 cbuf 0x1c06738
wl2ktelnet: DELETING PROPOSAL:
wl2ktelnet: proposal code C type E mid K3Q1LL_N7KJK usize 6077 csize 2678 next (nil) path K3Q1LL_N7KJK ubuf 0x1c06690 cbuf 0x1c06658
wl2ktelnet: proposal code C type E mid 7M4CPE_N7KJK usize 192 csize 161 next (nil) path (null) ubuf (nil) cbuf (nil)
wl2ktelnet: <F> 80 [5]
wl2ktelnet: >FF
wl2ktelnet: <*** [1] Unexpected response to proposal - Disconnecting (67.171.8.61) [69]
wl2ktelnet: unrecognized command (len 69): /*** [1] Unexpected response to proposal - Disconnecting (67.171.8.61)/
2a 2a 2a 20 5b 31 5d 20 55 6e 65 78 70 65 63 74 65 64 20 72 65 73 70 6f 6e 73 65 20 74 6f 20 70 72 6f 70 6f 73 61 6c 20 2d 20 44 69 73 63 6f 6e 6e 65 63 74 69 6e 67 20 28 36 37 2e 31 37 31 2e 38 2e 36 31 29
chk_mail.sh: Mon Jul 22 22:08:01 PDT 2019: wl2ktelnet returned 1
pi@N7KJKPI:~/n7nix/debug $

Kevin

Kevin K. - N7KJK

So when eveyrthing else checks out maybe it's the gateway's problem.  Looks like the system I was talking to yesterday is off line today.
I shopped around for another system and found one on Mercer Is. that answers me.  I think I spent a bunch of time on device settings in Draws Manager when all I had to do is find another gateway system.
I used the 40 mV from the FT-7800 documentation to compute and set Transmit Analog to -6db, digital to -25db.    -2db receive  input pin 5 seems to work.

Thanks for all your help Basil.
I'll send you an email via Winlink.. Then I'm calling it a night.
Tomorrow I'll see if I can get my IC-7000 to cooperate..  :)

Kevin /  N7KJK

Basil Gunn

Hi Kevin,

There are a couple of scripts that you might be interested in for
finding available RMS Gateways in directory n7nix/bin

rmslist.sh
Usage: ./rmslist.sh <integer_distance_in_miles> <maidenhead_grid_square>

gatewaylist.sh
Usage: gatewaylist.sh [-c][-l][-m <max_distance_in_miles>[-g <grid_square>][-s][-h]
-c | --count count number of RMS Stations
-l | --list build list of RMS Stations
-m | --max arg max distance in miles
-g | --gridsquare arg grid square location
-s | --show show all Stations
-d | --debug set debug flag
-h | --help display this message

wlgw-check.sh
get repository auto-rmsgw-find
https://github.com/n7nix/auto-rmsgw-find

This script uses rigctl for a Kenwood TM-v71a to iterate through an RMS
Gateway list made by rmslist.sh and tries to connect with each gateway
using paclink-unix. Rigctl supports the IC-7000.

wlgw-check.sh -g CN88nl

== Example output ==

$ ./rmslist.sh
Using distance of 30 miles & grid square CN88NL

Callsign Frequency Distance Baud
KF7FIT-10 223780000 0 1200
N7NIX-10 144910000 0 1200
K7KCA-10 440125000 3 1200
KE7KML-10 223780000 3 1200
AF4PM-10 145690000 4 1200
AF5TR-10 145690000 11 1200
AE7LW-10 145050000 16 1200
AE7LW-10 440950000 16 1200
KD7X-10 145630000 16 1200
KI7ULA-10 145050000 16 1200
W7UMX-10 145630000 16 1200
W0QJM-10 145630000 19 1200
WA7GJZ-10 145630000 19 1200
WA7GJZ-10 145630000 19 1200
NG2G-10 144990000 26 1200
W7ECG-10 144930000 28 1200

$ ./gatewaylist.sh
Directory: /home/pi/tmp/rmsgw does not exist, making ...
Building file: /home/pi/tmp/rmsgw/rmsgwprox.json ...
{
"Callsign": "KF7FIT-10",
"Frequency": 223780000,
"Baud": "1200",