Topics

Pac-Link vs WL2k Peer to Peer

Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ

Is Pac-Link always able to receive a message via a Peer-to-Peer connection like the PC-based WinLink when it is set in Peer-to-Peer mode?

If I am not xmitting how do others know I am on line and able to take mail?

Ed, KD9FRQ

Basil Gunn

Is Pac-Link always able to receive a message via a Peer-to-Peer
connection like the PC-based WinLink when it is set in Peer-to-Peer mode?
Correct. Note that paclink-unix is ALWAYS listening for someone doing a
Peer-to-Peer connection to your call sign. You don't have to manually
set the mode "like the Windows based WinLink Express".

If you want to verify which call sign, SSIDs that AX.25 is listening on, run
this in a console.

netstat --ax25

The "<your_callsign>-0" entry also listens for "<your_callsign>" with no
SSID.

If I am not xmitting how do others know I am on line and able to take mail?
If you send me the text that you would like to beacon I will send you a
script that will use the beacon command to send out a "beacon"
periodically using cron.

Take a look at the beacmin.sh & btest.sh scripts in n7nix/debug.
They are more complicated than you will require because they pull your
lat/lon from gpsd. Scroll to the bottom of the script & look for
variable "beacon_msg" to get some idea how it works.

/Basil

Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ

Basil,

Thank you for the beacon script offer. I accept.

I would like to beacon "KD9FRQ on air and monitoring"

73, Ed, KD9FRQ

Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ via groups.io <ewbloom=verizon.net@groups.io> writes:

Basil,

Thank you for the beacon script offer. I accept.

I would like to beacon "KD9FRQ on air and monitoring"
- cut & paste text between 'start script' & 'end script' markers into a text
file called beacbloom.sh in directory /home/pi/bin
- change current directory to /home/pi/bin and make file executable

cd
cd bin
chmod +x beacbloom.sh

- Open a console window and run listen -a
- from another console window execute beacbloom.sh and verify it does
what you want
- verify that AX25PORT variable is set properly in script

- create a crontab entry by opening crontab in edit mode & cut paste
example crontab entry found in script comment block into crontab.
- crontab entry to beacon every 20 minutes should look like this:

*/20 * * * * /home/pi/bin/beacbloom.sh > /dev/null 2>&1

- open crontab editor

crontab -e

- paste crontab entry & exit editor.

- verify crontab entry

crontab -l

- leave listen console window open to verify crontab is firing every 20
minutes.

- have fun

== start script

#!/bin/bash
#
# beacbloom.sh
#
# Minimal winlink beacon for Ed KD9FRQ
#
# crontab entry to beacon every 20 minutes
# */20 * * * * /home/pi/bin/beacbloom.sh > /dev/null 2>&1

CALLSIGN="KD9FRQ"
SID=0
BEACON="/usr/local/sbin/beacon"
AX25PORT=udr1

beacon_msg="$CALLSIGN on air and monitoring"

# -c Configure the source callsign for beacons. The default is to
# use the interface call-sign.
# -l Enables the logging of errors to the system log, the default is off.
# -d Configure the destination callsign for beacons. Default is 'IDENT'.
# -s Send the message text once only

$BEACON -c $CALLSIGN-$SID -d 'BEACON' -l -s $AX25PORT "${beacon_msg}"

== end script

Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ

Basil,

Thank you.  It works as stated.

73s, Ed, KD9FRQ

On 6/1/2020 12:34 PM, Basil Gunn wrote:
[...]

Thank you. It works as stated.
Great to hear Ed. Happy that it's working for you.
/Basil