Topics

PAT with DRAWS on VHF

Dave Christensen

I can not find the PAT CONFIGURE setup for ax25 VHF ports.  I had ax25 started and when I attempted a packet connection the error message said that a ax25 port was not found.  What do I need to change in the config.json file to create a VHF port on PAT?  There are lots of videos and post for ARDOP configuration but these won't help.

Thanks in advance...

Dave - KD7UM

K4KDR

Hi Dave!

I believe this is the video that I used to get setup for PAT over ax25:

-Scott,  K4KDR

========================

On Sat, Nov 16, 2019 at 12:47 PM Dave Christensen <dkc2030@...> wrote:
I can not find the PAT CONFIGURE setup for ax25 VHF ports.  I had ax25 started and when I attempted a packet connection the error message said that a ax25 port was not found.  What do I need to change in the config.json file to create a VHF port on PAT?  There are lots of videos and post for ARDOP configuration but these won't help.

Thanks in advance...

Dave - KD7UM

Basil Gunn

I can not find the PAT CONFIGURE setup for ax25 VHF ports.
Because I don't support PAT. I support paclink-unix.

I had ax25
started and when I attempted a packet connection the error message
said that a ax25 port was not found.
Without showing me (cutting & pasting into post or email) the console
output of the error message I can't really comment.

Verify that ax.25 is running properly by running:
ax25-status
and
ax25-status -d

It would be helpful if you could post the console outputs of the above
commands as well.

Read this:
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/docs/VERIFY_CONFIG.md#testing-ax25

What do I need to change in the
config.json file to create a VHF port on PAT? There are lots of videos
and post for ARDOP configuration but these won't help.

Dave Christensen

Basil, et.al

All the tests you mentioned above were all working normally from the image installation.  Thank you again for detailing these, I have save this post for future checkouts.

To make a really long story short here is what fixed PAT running on the NW image:
1.  Added a line to the /etc/ax25/axports file in the format:  wl2k KD7UM 1200 255 7 Winlink
2.  Did a sudo kissattach /tmp/kisstnc wl2k

It all worked.  Now two things for me to do:  create a script when starting PAT to do the kissattach and then the pat http command.

This help came from Scott:
"I believe this is the video that I used to get setup for PAT over ax25:

-Scott,  K4KDR"

Having said all this, and given my Newbie status, I am going to investigate patlink-unix knowing now that this is the supported product.

Again, thank you and all the moderators and contributors for your time.

Dave Christensen

Scott, et. al

To make a really long story short here is what fixed PAT running on the NW image:
1.  Added a line to the /etc/ax25/axports file in the format:  wl2k KD7UM 1200 255 7 Winlink
2.  Did a sudo kissattach /tmp/kisstnc wl2k

It all worked.  Now two things for me to do:  create a script when starting PAT to do the kissattach and then the pat http command.

Having said all this, and given my Newbie status, I am going to investigate patlink-unix knowing now that this is the supported product.

Again, thank you and all the moderators and contributors for your time.

Basil Gunn

The packet configuration for a DRAWS hat enables both mDin6 connectors
as ports udr0 & udr1. If you follow the documentation & use the
configuration scripts these ports are started at boot time using systemd
unit files that use mkiss (instead of kissattach) for multi KISS attach
so that both ports are active & available.

Since you had to edit the axports file I'm guessing you did not use the
configuration script that is supplied in the n7nix directory on the
DRAWS image.

Very pleased that you have PAT working with your DRAWS hat.
/Basil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8OBF47UkeI&t=509s

-Scott, K4KDR"

Having said all this, and given my Newbie status, I am going to
investigate patlink-unix knowing now that this is the supported
product.

Again, thank you and all the moderators and contributors for your
time.

Dave Christensen

Thank you again for your time.  with your explanation I now understand the relationship of axports, mkiss, and the PAT config.  I did run the config script you provided
This is my edited PAT ax25 section now using the correct port name:

},
  "listen": [],
  "hamlib_rigs": {},
  "ax25": {
    "port": "udr0",
    "beacon": {
      "every": 3600,
      "message": "Winlink P2P",
      "destination": "IDENT"
    },
    "rig": ""
  },
And my axports with the line I added removed referencing wl2k

It looks like this now:
# /usr/local/etc/ax25/axports
#
# The format of this file is:
#portname       callsign        speed   paclen  window  description
udr0        KD7UM-6         9600    255     2       Direwolf port
udr1        KD7UM-10            9600    255     2       Winlink port
Now I am trying to find the whole paclink-unix installation instructions, MUTT interface, piardop, etc.  I know it is out there, I just haven't found it since you referenced adding piardop to the distribution 9 going forward with your work on Packlink-UNIX.

Another day....  TNX

Ryan Matthew Headley

Reading everything I can find about paclink-unix, it appears to be geared almost entirely toward VHF/UHF protocols.  It can support PACTOR, but then you have to drop a couple of thousand dollars on a modem.

Since you mentioned wanting to use ardop, your best bet is to stick with Pat.

Someone please correct me if this is wrong.