Peer to Peer "Chat" or Packet

Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ

Using my Pi, DRAWS and radio, I am able to send and receive emails via the WinLink network.

Local Peer to Peer has only been tested once and still needs to be tested more but that is for a different day.

Some of us tried to use old fashioned Peer to Peer Packet recently while supporting a 100 mile Ultra marathon. I did not participate due to a vacation so I did not attend the training session.

What do I need to do with my Pi to be able to connect to a Peer, "log in", drop a test string or file with data (bib number, check point, time in, time out), "log out" and close the connection so others may do so?

Ed, KD9FRQ

Mitch Winkle

UI Frames are ideal for such a thing, but they carry no ARQ so no guaranteed delivery.  No connection at all, just a frame between two call signs with data (up to 255 bytes) in it.

If you have to have guaranteed delivery, a "BBS" or node application to gather data would be necessary.

On 9/11/2021 18:08, Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ via groups.io wrote:
Using my Pi, DRAWS and radio, I am able to send and receive emails via the WinLink network.

Local Peer to Peer has only been tested once and still needs to be tested more but that is for a different day.

Some of us tried to use old fashioned Peer to Peer Packet recently while supporting a 100 mile Ultra marathon. I did not participate due to a vacation so I did not attend the training session.

What do I need to do with my Pi to be able to connect to a Peer, "log in", drop a test string or file with data (bib number, check point, time in, time out), "log out" and close the connection so others may do so?

Ed, KD9FRQ

Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ

OK.  Show what is a UI Frame?

How do I send such a thing via my Pi and DRAWS?

Do I need to install any new software?

Ed, KD9FRQ

On 9/12/2021 6:21 AM, Mitch Winkle wrote:
[...]

You can read that in the specs.  A bit much to explain on an email list.

If you don't know what they are, it's probably not a solution for you.

On 9/12/2021 08:13, Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Sourceforge project UIChat v 1.07 is a Linux (RPi) based AX.25 Bash command line utility to send UI messages between stations with optional digipeaters.

Version 2.0 is now defunct, because the source code was lost and I don't want to recreate it. :)

On 9/12/2021 08:15, Mitch Winkle wrote:
You can read that in the specs.  A bit much to explain on an email list.

If you don't know what they are, it's probably not a solution for you.

On 9/12/2021 08:13, Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ via groups.io wrote:
OK. Show what is a UI Frame?

How do I send such a thing via my Pi and DRAWS?

Do I need to install any new software?

Ed, KD9FRQ

Andrew P.

Have you considered APRS text messaging? Since the amount of data you are sending is short, and you are sending it to a specific other station in your use case, APRS text messaging uses a sequence number with acknowledgement and automatic retry if the ack isn't received.

You don't have to worry about channel jamming because your event can use a non-standard frequency for your APRS network. Every bicycle event I have worked has _never_ used the national APRS frequency for their support vehicle tracking.

Most desktop APRS applications can keep track of incoming APRS text messages, and the radios with built-in APRS support can (painfully) send text messages from their keypad.

So your Net Control station watching APRS position reports should be able to see texts from your field stations easily enough.

Just a suggestion.

Andrew, KA2DDO
author of YAAC ("Yet Another APRS Client"), which nicely supports monitoring text messages

Sourceforge project UIChat v 1.07 is a Linux (RPi) based AX.25 Bash
command line utility to send UI messages between stations with optional
digipeaters.

Version 2.0 is now defunct, because the source code was lost and I don't
want to recreate it. :)

On 9/12/2021 08:15, Mitch Winkle wrote:
> You can read that in the specs.  A bit much to explain on an email list.
>
> If you don't know what they are, it's probably not a solution for you.
>
> On 9/12/2021 08:13, Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ via groups.io wrote:
>> OK. Show what is a UI Frame?
>>
>> How do I send such a thing via my Pi and DRAWS?
>>
>> Do I need to install any new software?
>>
>> Ed, KD9FRQ

You can use the call command.

On Sun, Sep 12, 2021, 07:36 Andrew P. <andrewemt@...> wrote:
Have you considered APRS text messaging? Since the amount of data you are sending is short, and you are sending it to a specific other station in your use case, APRS text messaging uses a sequence number with acknowledgement and automatic retry if the ack isn't received.

You don't have to worry about channel jamming because your event can use a non-standard frequency for your APRS network. Every bicycle event I have worked has _never_ used the national APRS frequency for their support vehicle tracking.

Most desktop APRS applications can keep track of incoming APRS text messages, and the radios with built-in APRS support can (painfully) send text messages from their keypad.

So your Net Control station watching APRS position reports should be able to see texts from your field stations easily enough.

Just a suggestion.

Andrew, KA2DDO
author of YAAC ("Yet Another APRS Client"), which nicely supports monitoring text messages

Sourceforge project UIChat v 1.07 is a Linux (RPi) based AX.25 Bash
command line utility to send UI messages between stations with optional
digipeaters.

Version 2.0 is now defunct, because the source code was lost and I don't
want to recreate it. :)

On 9/12/2021 08:15, Mitch Winkle wrote:
> You can read that in the specs.  A bit much to explain on an email list.
>
> If you don't know what they are, it's probably not a solution for you.
>
> On 9/12/2021 08:13, Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ via groups.io wrote:
>> OK. Show what is a UI Frame?
>>
>> How do I send such a thing via my Pi and DRAWS?
>>
>> Do I need to install any new software?
>>
>> Ed, KD9FRQ

Basil Gunn

Sorry for the lag. I'm traveling.
There are quite a few AX.25 apps that will do peer-to-peer packet.
For 1 to 1 I use chattervox and for 1 to many I use APRS messaging as found in Xastir, YAAC or nixtracker. Try some out to find the one you like best.
/Basil

On September 11, 2021 3:08:49 PM PDT, "Ed Bloom, KD9FRQ via groups.io" <ewbloom=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:
Using my Pi, DRAWS and radio, I am able to send and receive emails via
the WinLink network.

Local Peer to Peer has only been tested once and still needs to be
tested more but that is for a different day.

Some of us tried to use old fashioned Peer to Peer Packet recently while
supporting a 100 mile Ultra marathon. I did not participate due to a
vacation so I did not attend the training session.

What do I need to do with my Pi to be able to connect to a Peer, "log
in", drop a test string or file with data (bib number, check point, time
in, time out), "log out" and close the connection so others may do so?

Ed, KD9FRQ

Basil Gunn

Ed,
After re-reading your question, John's answer is the correct one.
Type: man call
for more info.
Eg. To log into a node or BBS:
call udr0 <some_callsign>