Topics

Point to Point (P2P) email transfer #draws

Kevin K. - N7KJK

Hi there, 
So after a lot of help from this Group.. (Thanks again Basil !) I have Winlink email setup.  I'm learning that other than my email address (N7KJK@...) I'm not really using Winlink software.  I have both Claws, and Rainloop working as the email client. I tune my radio to the proper frequency for a nearby gateway, then I call it with  wl2kax25 -c {callsign of gateway}. There's a modem style handshake process then the gateway accepts my outbound message(s) to whomever, and then checks with Winlink.org on my behalf for anything addressed to me. Works like a charm.  This is all dependent on the Gateway having an Internet connection.   I'm laying this out very simply in hopes that someone really new is helped out by this brief run down.

So now after a bunch of searching here and on the Internet I'd like figure out Packet P2P.. The scenario is I compose an email to some other Winlink address , but instead of a gateway I know that person has their computer and radio on (and I know the frequency), and I'd like to send the email directly to that station.  I'm trying to figure out how I would do this.
In Winlink Express there's a specific session option for  "Packet P2P"  I just need to emulate that.  I'd also like to be the station waiting for inbound email.
Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Kevin / N7KJK

Basil Gunn

For P2P mail using paclink-unix that I've tested with both airmail &
Winlink Express I use a call sign with no SSID. ie. on the listening
side I add an entry in /etc/ax25/ax25d.conf that looks like this:

#
[N7NIX VIA udr0]
NOCALL * * * * * * L
default * * * * * * 0 gunn /usr/local/bin/wl2kax25d wl2kax25d -c %U -a %d
#

To understand what the %args are type: man ax25d.conf

On transmit use: wl2kax25 -c callsign_without_an_SSID
wl2kax25 -c n7nix

In your email client address the Winlink message exactly as you would
when using a gateway. wl2kax25d mimics how a gateway interacts with
the client program.

It's pretty simple & if you leave your client side station powered on it
will always be listening for P2P connections to your call sign.

The only thing you should be mindful of is when composing messages to
send via an RMS Gateway you need to clear them from the outbox using
wl2kax25 before composing any messages that you want to send with P2P
and vice versa.

/Basil

Kevin K. - N7KJK <kkutzera@...> writes:

Hi there,
So after a lot of help from this Group.. (Thanks again Basil !) I have Winlink email setup. I'm learning that other than my email address ( N7KJK@... ) I'm not really using Winlink software. I have both Claws, and Rainloop working as the email client. I tune my radio to the proper frequency for a nearby gateway, then I call it with wl2kax25 -c {callsign of gateway}. There's a modem style handshake process then the gateway accepts my outbound message(s) to whomever, and then checks with Winlink.org on my behalf for anything addressed to me. Works like a charm. This is all dependent on the Gateway having an Internet connection. I'm laying this out very simply in hopes that someone really new is helped out by this brief run down.

So now after a bunch of searching here and on the Internet I'd like figure out Packet P2P.. The scenario is I compose an email to some other Winlink address , but instead of a gateway I know that person has their computer and radio on (and I know the frequency), and I'd like to send the email directly to that station. I'm trying to figure out how I would do this.
In Winlink Express there's a specific session option for "Packet P2P" I just need to emulate that. I'd also like to be the station waiting for inbound email.
Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Kevin / N7KJK

Kevin K. - N7KJK

Thanks Basil, 
So I've read the MAN pages for both wl2kax25d and ax25d.  Somewhat illuminating..

A friend of mine tried to connect using both N7KJK,  and N7KJK-10 (my Winlink Gateway address).
He tried these both as Packet P2P, and Packet WinLink.  He only had one connection using the callsign with SSID.  It didn't accept of send email and he had to force the disconnect.

I think I am beginning to understand how to control this.  So Here's my new configuration of ax25d.conf.
My radio is connected to the DIN port farthest away from the GPS sma antenna port.  I see traffic (beacons) all day long (mostly with invalid or Unknown APRS Type Indicator.. (no big deal).

My assumption is that if a station is trying to call me with my SSID they are treating my PI as an RMS-Gateway.  I send their traffic through to the gateway software.
If the station is trying to call me without the SSID they are attempting Packet P2P and local email will be forwarded as indicated in the man page.

[N7KJK-10 VIA udr1]
NOCALL   * * * * * *  L
default  * * * * * *  - rmsgw /usr/local/bin/rmsgw rmsgw -P %d %U
#
[N7KJK VIA udr1]
NOCALL   * * * * * *  L
default  * * * * * *  - gunn /usr/local/bin/wl2kax25d wl2kax25d -c %U -a %d

The version I was running during the test had N7KJK-10 listening on udr0.  I don't have a second radio listening on that port but the hand off to rmsgw was given the wrong port so my station didn't reply properly.

So my friend will test again tomorrow.   I'll update this thread success of failure so we have info to share with others.

Next on my punch list is to get this to beacon periodically like other stations do...
Kevin / N7KJK

Basil Gunn

Kevin,

You need to change 'gunn' which is my user name to your user name
probably pi. ie.

#
[N7KJK VIA udr1]
NOCALL * * * * * * L
default * * * * * * - pi /usr/local/bin/wl2kax25d wl2kax25d -c %U -a %d

Also make sure there are NO blank lines in your ax25d.conf file.
Look in /var/log/syslog for any wl2kax25d entries.

/Basil

Thanks Basil,
So I've read the MAN pages for both wl2kax25d and ax25d. Somewhat illuminating..

A friend of mine tried to connect using both N7KJK, and N7KJK-10 (my Winlink Gateway address).
He tried these both as Packet P2P, and Packet WinLink. He only had one connection using the callsign with SSID. It didn't accept of send email and he had to force the disconnect.

I think I am beginning to understand how to control this. So Here's my new configuration of ax25d.conf.
My radio is connected to the DIN port farthest away from the GPS sma antenna port. I see traffic (beacons) all day long (mostly with invalid or Unknown APRS Type Indicator.. (no big deal).

My assumption is that if a station is trying to call me with my SSID they are treating my PI as an RMS-Gateway. I send their traffic through to the gateway software.
If the station is trying to call me without the SSID they are attempting Packet P2P and local email will be forwarded as indicated in the man page.

[N7KJK-10 VIA udr1]
NOCALL * * * * * * L
default * * * * * * - rmsgw /usr/local/bin/rmsgw rmsgw -P %d %U
#
[N7KJK VIA udr1]
NOCALL * * * * * * L
default * * * * * * - gunn /usr/local/bin/wl2kax25d wl2kax25d -c %U -a %d

The version I was running during the test had N7KJK-10 listening on udr0. I don't have a second radio listening on that port but the hand off to rmsgw was given the wrong port so my station didn't reply properly.

So my friend will test again tomorrow. I'll update this thread success of failure so we have info to share with others.

Next on my punch list is to get this to beacon periodically like other stations do...
Kevin / N7KJK

Kevin K. - N7KJK

Ok,
Understood.  Not sure why I didn't catch that in the man page.
Thanks

On Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 9:00 PM Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:

Kevin,

probably pi. ie.

#
[N7KJK VIA udr1]
  NOCALL * * * * * * L

/Basil

> Thanks Basil,
> So I've read the MAN pages for both wl2kax25d and ax25d. Somewhat illuminating..
>
> A friend of mine tried to connect using both N7KJK, and N7KJK-10 (my Winlink Gateway address).
> He tried these both as Packet P2P, and Packet WinLink. He only had one connection using the callsign with SSID. It didn't accept of send email and he had to force the disconnect.
>
> I think I am beginning to understand how to control this. So Here's my new configuration of ax25d.conf.
> My radio is connected to the DIN port farthest away from the GPS sma antenna port. I see traffic (beacons) all day long (mostly with invalid or Unknown APRS Type Indicator.. (no big deal).
>
> My assumption is that if a station is trying to call me with my SSID they are treating my PI as an RMS-Gateway. I send their traffic through to the gateway software.
> If the station is trying to call me without the SSID they are attempting Packet P2P and local email will be forwarded as indicated in the man page.
>
> [N7KJK-10 VIA udr1]
> NOCALL * * * * * * L
> default * * * * * * - rmsgw /usr/local/bin/rmsgw rmsgw -P %d %U
> #
> [N7KJK VIA udr1]
> NOCALL * * * * * * L
> default * * * * * * - gunn /usr/local/bin/wl2kax25d wl2kax25d -c %U -a %d
>
> The version I was running during the test had N7KJK-10 listening on udr0. I don't have a second radio listening on that port but the hand off to rmsgw was given the wrong port so my station didn't reply properly.
>
> So my friend will test again tomorrow. I'll update this thread success of failure so we have info to share with others.
>
> Next on my punch list is to get this to beacon periodically like other stations do...
> 73
> Kevin / N7KJK

--
Kevin J. Kutzera CISSP, CISM, CEH
Cell: 206-850-7762

Kevin K. - N7KJK

Also is this section with the pluweb failed state normal?

1 07:17:06 N7KJKPI systemd[1]: pluweb.service: Service hold-off time over, scheduling restart.
Aug  1 07:17:06 N7KJKPI systemd[1]: Stopped node.js server for paclink-unix.
Aug  1 07:17:06 N7KJKPI systemd[1]: Started node.js server for paclink-unix.
Aug  1 07:17:09 N7KJKPI pluweb[8753]: module.js:549
Aug  1 07:17:09 N7KJKPI pluweb[8753]:     throw err;
Aug  1 07:17:09 N7KJKPI pluweb[8753]:     ^
Aug  1 07:17:09 N7KJKPI pluweb[8753]: Error: Cannot find module '/usr/lib/node_modules/websocket'
Aug  1 07:17:09 N7KJKPI pluweb[8753]:     at Function.Module._resolveFilename (module.js:547:15)
Aug  1 07:17:09 N7KJKPI pluweb[8753]:     at Function.Module._load (module.js:474:25)
Aug  1 07:17:09 N7KJKPI pluweb[8753]:     at Module.require (module.js:596:17)
Aug  1 07:17:09 N7KJKPI pluweb[8753]:     at require (internal/module.js:11:18)
Aug  1 07:17:09 N7KJKPI pluweb[8753]:     at Object.<anonymous> (/usr/local/src/paclink-unix/webapp/plu-server.js:48:23)
Aug  1 07:17:09 N7KJKPI pluweb[8753]:     at Module._compile (module.js:652:30)
Aug  1 07:17:09 N7KJKPI pluweb[8753]:     at Object.Module._extensions..js (module.js:663:10)
Aug  1 07:17:09 N7KJKPI pluweb[8753]:     at Module.load (module.js:565:32)
Aug  1 07:17:09 N7KJKPI pluweb[8753]:     at tryModuleLoad (module.js:505:12)
Aug  1 07:17:09 N7KJKPI pluweb[8753]:     at Function.Module._load (module.js:497:3)
Aug  1 07:17:09 N7KJKPI systemd[1]: pluweb.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Aug  1 07:17:09 N7KJKPI systemd[1]: pluweb.service: Unit entered failed state.
Aug  1 07:17:09 N7KJKPI systemd[1]: pluweb.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Aug  1 07:17:19 N7KJKPI systemd[1]: pluweb.service: Service hold-off time over, scheduling restart.
Aug  1 07:17:19 N7KJKPI systemd[1]: Stopped node.js server for paclink-unix.
Aug  1 07:17:19 N7KJKPI systemd[1]: Started node.js server for paclink-unix.
Aug  1 07:17:21 N7KJKPI pluweb[8802]: module.js:549
Aug  1 07:17:21 N7KJKPI pluweb[8802]:     throw err;
Aug  1 07:17:21 N7KJKPI pluweb[8802]:     ^
Aug  1 07:17:21 N7KJKPI pluweb[8802]: Error: Cannot find module '/usr/lib/node_modules/websocket'
Aug  1 07:17:21 N7KJKPI pluweb[8802]:     at Function.Module._resolveFilename (module.js:547:15)
Aug  1 07:17:21 N7KJKPI pluweb[8802]:     at Function.Module._load (module.js:474:25)
Aug  1 07:17:21 N7KJKPI pluweb[8802]:     at Module.require (module.js:596:17)
Aug  1 07:17:21 N7KJKPI pluweb[8802]:     at require (internal/module.js:11:18)
Aug  1 07:17:21 N7KJKPI pluweb[8802]:     at Object.<anonymous> (/usr/local/src/paclink-unix/webapp/plu-server.js:48:23)
Aug  1 07:17:21 N7KJKPI pluweb[8802]:     at Module._compile (module.js:652:30)
Aug  1 07:17:21 N7KJKPI pluweb[8802]:     at Object.Module._extensions..js (module.js:663:10)
Aug  1 07:17:21 N7KJKPI pluweb[8802]:     at Module.load (module.js:565:32)
Aug  1 07:17:21 N7KJKPI pluweb[8802]:     at tryModuleLoad (module.js:505:12)
Aug  1 07:17:21 N7KJKPI pluweb[8802]:     at Function.Module._load (module.js:497:3)
Aug  1 07:17:21 N7KJKPI systemd[1]: pluweb.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
Aug  1 07:17:21 N7KJKPI systemd[1]: pluweb.service: Unit entered failed state.
Aug  1 07:17:21 N7KJKPI systemd[1]: pluweb.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
Aug  1 07:17:29 N7KJKPI dovecot: auth: Debug: Loading modules from directory: /usr/lib/dovecot/modules/auth
Aug  1 07:17:29 N7KJKPI dovecot: auth: Debug: Read auth token secret from /var/run/dovecot/auth-token-secret.dat
Aug  1 07:17:29 N7KJKPI dovecot: auth: Debug: auth client connected (pid=8844)

On Fri, Aug 2, 2019 at 5:26 AM Kevin K. - N7KJK via Groups.Io <kkutzera=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
Ok,
Understood.  Not sure why I didn't catch that in the man page.
Thanks

On Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 9:00 PM Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:

Kevin,

probably pi. ie.

#
[N7KJK VIA udr1]
  NOCALL * * * * * * L

/Basil

> Thanks Basil,
> So I've read the MAN pages for both wl2kax25d and ax25d. Somewhat illuminating..
>
> A friend of mine tried to connect using both N7KJK, and N7KJK-10 (my Winlink Gateway address).
> He tried these both as Packet P2P, and Packet WinLink. He only had one connection using the callsign with SSID. It didn't accept of send email and he had to force the disconnect.
>
> I think I am beginning to understand how to control this. So Here's my new configuration of ax25d.conf.
> My radio is connected to the DIN port farthest away from the GPS sma antenna port. I see traffic (beacons) all day long (mostly with invalid or Unknown APRS Type Indicator.. (no big deal).
>
> My assumption is that if a station is trying to call me with my SSID they are treating my PI as an RMS-Gateway. I send their traffic through to the gateway software.
> If the station is trying to call me without the SSID they are attempting Packet P2P and local email will be forwarded as indicated in the man page.
>
> [N7KJK-10 VIA udr1]
> NOCALL * * * * * * L
> default * * * * * * - rmsgw /usr/local/bin/rmsgw rmsgw -P %d %U
> #
> [N7KJK VIA udr1]
> NOCALL * * * * * * L
> default * * * * * * - gunn /usr/local/bin/wl2kax25d wl2kax25d -c %U -a %d
>
> The version I was running during the test had N7KJK-10 listening on udr0. I don't have a second radio listening on that port but the hand off to rmsgw was given the wrong port so my station didn't reply properly.
>
> So my friend will test again tomorrow. I'll update this thread success of failure so we have info to share with others.
>
> Next on my punch list is to get this to beacon periodically like other stations do...
> 73
> Kevin / N7KJK

--

--

Basil Gunn

Yes this a problem with the paclink-unix web app install. I will fix
that and in the mean time do this:

npm install -g websocket connect finalhandler serve-static
/Basil n7nix

Aug 1 07:17:06 N7KJKPI systemd[1]: Stopped node.js server for paclink-unix.
Aug 1 07:17:06 N7KJKPI systemd[1]: Started node.js server for paclink-unix.
Aug 1 07:17:09 N7KJKPI pluweb[8753]: module.js:549
Aug 1 07:17:09 N7KJKPI pluweb[8753]: throw err;
Aug 1 07:17:09 N7KJKPI pluweb[8753]: ^
Aug 1 07:17:09 N7KJKPI pluweb[8753]: Error: Cannot find module '/usr/lib/node_modules/websocket'

Basil Gunn

Kevin,

For a complete install of the paclink-unix web server do this:

cd
cd n7nix/plu
sudo su
./pluweb_install.sh pi

# Verify with:

systemctl --no-pager status pluweb.service

# run a web browser

On your RPi:
localhost:8082

On a different machine:
<ip_address_of_your_rpi>:8082

/Basil n7nix

Basil Gunn <@basil860> writes:

Yes this a problem with the paclink-unix web app install. I will fix
that and in the mean time do this:

npm install -g websocket connect finalhandler serve-static
/Basil n7nix

Aug 1 07:17:06 N7KJKPI systemd[1]: Stopped node.js server for paclink-unix.
Aug 1 07:17:06 N7KJKPI systemd[1]: Started node.js server for paclink-unix.
Aug 1 07:17:09 N7KJKPI pluweb[8753]: module.js:549
Aug 1 07:17:09 N7KJKPI pluweb[8753]: throw err;
Aug 1 07:17:09 N7KJKPI pluweb[8753]: ^
Aug 1 07:17:09 N7KJKPI pluweb[8753]: Error: Cannot find module '/usr/lib/node_modules/websocket'

Kevin K. - N7KJK

OK so the reinstall fixed the PLUWEB.. Thanks..

On the P2P Packet.  My friend and I are now reliably handshaking, and it appears we're transferring messages.  I'm sending to his plain call sign (no @domain) and he's sending to my call sign. 
He reported the following information to me.
 n7kjkpi.localnet says it could not deliver my message, msg "unknown user k7rmz@...
I am of course N7KJK.  Not sure where that email address at the end of his report is coming from . 

In RainLoop I can't compose a message to him because it requires @domain  in the email address.
Claws lets me compose an email to the call sign.  (all messages show up in the Sent items folder even before I try to send). 

Somehow while typing this reply,  my friend sent me an email directly (no gateway) addressed to N7KJK@.....
Not sure how that worked...

I think something similar to the issue with my email address instead of pi@localhost.  My system doesn't know what to do with a message addressed to N7KJK  (no ssid, no domain, no @)

Kevin
N7KJK

I can send whatever log segments might help .  I'll just not sure which one's you want to see.  I'll certainly update this thread if I find some interesting information.

Kevin

Kevin K. - N7KJK

I am getting emails addressed to my winlink.org account. The direwolf logs show that K7RMZ called N7KJK (not N7KJK-10).
Radio is plugged into the right DIN port on the DRAWS

Here's my current Ax25.conf
#
# When users connect to <incoming callsign>, they will be processed
# by the section that matches.
#
[N7KJK-10 VIA udr1]
NOCALL   * * * * * *  L
default  * * * * * *  - pi /usr/local/bin/rmsgw rmsgw -P %d %U
#
[N7KJK VIA udr1]
NOCALL   * * * * * *  L
default  * * * * * *  - pi /usr/local/bin/wl2kax25d wl2kax25d -c %U -a %d
#
Attaching direwolf.conf

Basil Gunn

In your mail apps you address messages using p2p, telnet or ax.25
exactly the same way <some_call_sign>@winlink.org. Do not change this
for p2p.

As I said before once messages are composed and existing in your outbox
directory /usr/local/var/wl2k/outbox, you can send them using p2p
(nearby winlink machine), telnet (CMS) or ax.25 (winlink RMS
Gateway). The messages and how they are addressed are exactly the same
for all the different transports.

To send a message via p2p use wl2kax25 & drop the SSID from the call sign,
that's all there is to it. ie. wl2kax25 -c n7nix

OK so the reinstall fixed the PLUWEB.. Thanks..

On the P2P Packet. My friend and I are now reliably handshaking, and
it appears we're transferring messages. I'm sending to his plain call
sign (no @domain) and he's sending to my call sign. He reported the
following information to me.
You are using an unqualified email address. If you did this using mutt
email client it would automatically append the winlink domain.

n7kjkpi.localnet says it could not deliver my message, msg "unknown user k7rmz@...
I am of course N7KJK. Not sure where that email address at the end of his report is coming from .

In RainLoop I can't compose a message to him because it requires @domain in the email address.
Claws lets me compose an email to the call sign. (all messages show up in the Sent items folder even before I try to send).
All the email apps require an @domain, specifically <some_callsign>@winlink.org

Somehow while typing this reply, my friend sent me an email directly (no gateway) addressed to N7KJK@.....
Not sure how that worked...
Did you receive it via internet or radio?

I think something similar to the issue with my email address instead
of pi@localhost. My system doesn't know what to do with a message
addressed to N7KJK (no ssid, no domain, no @)
Correct, the address you use must be a valid email address,
name_or_callsign@<some_actual_domain>

Kevin
N7KJK

I can send whatever log segments might help . I'll just not sure which
one's you want to see. I'll certainly update this thread if I find
some interesting information.
Send me the file you are about to send from /usr/local/var/wl2k/outbox.
Looking at that file I can tell you whether it has a chance of being
sent properly.

Exercise for you:
Compose a single message to k7rmz@... and copy it to a temporary directory.

Send it using: wl2ktelnet

Copy message from temporary directory to /usr/local/var/wl2k/outbox
Send it using: wl2kax25 -c k7rmz-10

Copy message from tmp directory to /usr/local/var/wl2k/outbox
Make sure k7kmz is set to receive via p2p.
Send it using wl2kax25 -c k7kmz

Cut & paste the console output from those 3 transactions in a regular
email to me.

/Basil n7nix

Kevin K. - N7KJK

OK, 
I think there in lies some of the confusion.
The receiving end isn't configured the same way. 
They're not using a DRAWS .  (not sure exactly what digital components (physical and/or software) they're using.
He indicated that Packet P2P had to have the messages addressed to the call sign -  sans @winlink.org.
With this information we'll run some more tests.
since I'm receiving email with the full winlink email address from him when he calls N7KJK (no ssid) something's working.

We are wondering why my messages show up on his end sometimes with SMTP reference (see image attached).

Thanks
This is getting very very close.  It's going to be very helpful for volunteer event coming up next weekend.
N7KJK

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 8:44 AM Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:

In your mail apps you address messages using p2p, telnet or ax.25
exactly the same way <some_call_sign>@winlink.org. Do not change this
for p2p.

As I said before once messages are composed and existing in your outbox
directory /usr/local/var/wl2k/outbox, you can send them using p2p
(nearby winlink machine), telnet (CMS) or ax.25 (winlink RMS
Gateway). The messages and how they are addressed are exactly the same
for all the different transports.

To send a message via p2p use wl2kax25 & drop the SSID from the call sign,
that's all there is to it. ie. wl2kax25 -c n7nix

> OK so the reinstall fixed the PLUWEB.. Thanks..
>
> On the P2P Packet. My friend and I are now reliably handshaking, and
> it appears we're transferring messages. I'm sending to his plain call
> sign (no @domain) and he's sending to my call sign.  He reported the
> following information to me.

You are using an unqualified email address. If you did this using mutt
email client it would automatically append the winlink domain.

> **
> n7kjkpi.localnet says it could not deliver my message, msg "unknown user k7rmz@...
> **
> I am of course N7KJK. Not sure where that email address at the end of his report is coming from .
>
> In RainLoop I can't compose a message to him because it requires @domain in the email address.
> Claws lets me compose an email to the call sign. (all messages show up in the Sent items folder even before I try to send).

All the email apps require an @domain, specifically <some_callsign>@winlink.org

> Somehow while typing this reply, my friend sent me an email directly (no gateway) addressed to N7KJK@.....
> Not sure how that worked...

Did you receive it via internet or radio?

> I think something similar to the issue with my email address instead
> of pi@localhost. My system doesn't know what to do with a message
> addressed to N7KJK (no ssid, no domain, no @)

Correct, the address you use must be a valid email address,
name_or_callsign@<some_actual_domain>

> 73
> Kevin
> N7KJK
>
> I can send whatever log segments might help . I'll just not sure which
> one's you want to see. I'll certainly update this thread if I find
> some interesting information.

Send me the file you are about to send from /usr/local/var/wl2k/outbox.
Looking at that file I can tell you whether it has a chance of being
sent properly.

Exercise for you:
Compose a single message to k7rmz@... and copy it to a temporary directory.

Send it using: wl2ktelnet

Copy message from temporary directory to /usr/local/var/wl2k/outbox
Send it using: wl2kax25 -c k7rmz-10

Copy message from tmp directory to /usr/local/var/wl2k/outbox
Make sure k7kmz is set to receive via p2p.
Send it using wl2kax25 -c k7kmz

Cut & paste the console output from those 3 transactions in a regular
email to me.

/Basil n7nix

--

Kevin K. - N7KJK

Basil,
Here's the outbox message you asked for.

Kevin

Basil Gunn

Here's the outbox message you asked for.
The attachment is a properly formed message and can be sent with any of
the transports previously mentioned.

/Basil n7nix

Basil Gunn

OK,
I think there in lies some of the confusion.
The receiving end isn't configured the same way.
You haven't said what the receiving end is. Since I'm assuming it's not
paclink-unix they need to follow their app requirements. paclink-unix
will receive whatever they send p2p addressed to email address
n7kjk@... and sent via your callsign no SSID.

They're not using a DRAWS . (not sure exactly what digital components
(physical and/or software) they're using.
It doesn't matter which TNC/sound card you use, paclink-unix is
independent of everything below the AX.25 socket interface.

He indicated that Packet P2P had to have the messages addressed to the call
sign - sans @winlink.org.
Whatever app he is using will have different requirements than
paclink-unix that you are using ... unless he is using paclink-unix.
I have only tested p2p with Airmail & Winlink Express.

With this information we'll run some more tests.
since I'm receiving email with the full winlink email address from him when
he calls N7KJK (no ssid) something's working.
He needs to follow the requirements for his app.

We are wondering why my messages show up on his end sometimes with SMTP
reference (see image attached).
I don't know. Expand the columns so I can see all the information.

paclink-unix is SMTP compliant and uses postfix to set the required
email headers. The email that you compose with paclink-unix will be
accepted by any other SMTP compliant email system. Try CC'ing your gmail
account when sending messages either with wl2ktelnet or wl2kax25. For
p2p it only makes sense to have a single 'To:' destination address.

This is getting very very close. It's going to be very helpful for
volunteer event coming up next weekend.
What Winlink apps are other participants going to be using?
/Basil n7nix

Kevin K. - N7KJK

So we do have two way communications working now.
  *We address each other's system directly with call sign (no SSID).
 * We always address the emails with full Winlink.org email address.

I will try and complete some more concise documentation on what we're doing and the configuration of the other stations.
Appreciate (again) all your help Basil.

* next on my list of goals.......  HF digital..   Yikes!
Kevin / N7KJK