Topics

Port 8001

Just curious about Winlink Express. I wanted to try that before I dive into paclink-unix. I set it up using TCP/8001 as described in the Direwolf User Guide. I can only send and receive email if I use the Right mini-DIN port on DRAWS and specify "KISS Port 2" in WLK-Express session setup. Is this expected behavior? Is KISS port 8001 bound to Right mini-DIN only? If so, where is this done?

If I try Left mini-DIN and choose "KISS" in WLK-Express, I can connect to a gateway but no emails get transferred either direction.

TIA, David

Basil Gunn

I don't have any experience with this setup but I can tell you how it
should work, which doesn't match what you are reporting.

AGWPE defaults to Direwolf port 0 (left connector on the draws card). I
can confirm this with Xastir. I don't know of any way to specify the
second (right connector) with AGWPE. When I google this it appears that
there might be a way to support dual ports with AGWpe but all the sites
are stale & do not load.

Looking at the Direwolf documentation I assume the KISSPORT (KISS over
TCP) works in a similar way, that is it defaults to port 0. From your
configuration and looking at Winlink Express it appears that you can
select the second (right connector) port by specifying Packet TNC Type:
KISS Port 2 rather than Packet TNC Type: KISS AND Serial Port TCP. Make
sure the TCP port used is the same as the one specified in
/etc/direwolf.conf.

I just confirmed by running Winlink Express that I can send & receive
Winlink mail using the left & right mDin6 connectors and configuring
Winlink Express with Packet TNC Type KISS & KISS port 2.

On the linux side the AX.25 ports are configured using the Direwolf
pseudo terminal interface and mkiss to attach to two devices that
produces 2 AX.25 network socket interfaces ax0 & ax1. These correspond
to the left & right connectors.

Short answer I don't know why you are seeing what you are seeing but
Winlink Express can be configured to use the DRAWS left & right
connectors using KISS over TCP.

/Basil

David Lowry <huskyrunnr@...> writes:

Just curious about Winlink Express. I wanted to try that before I dive
into paclink-unix. I set it up using TCP/8001 as described in the
Direwolf User Guide. I can only send and receive email if I use the
Right mini-DIN port on DRAWS and specify "KISS Port 2" in WLK-Express
session setup. Is this expected behavior? Is KISS port 8001 bound to
Right mini-DIN only? If so, where is this done?

If I try Left mini-DIN and choose "KISS" in WLK-Express, I can connect to a gateway but no emails get transferred either direction.

TIA, David

Thanks. Exactly what I was after. I suspected something was off. Not asking for a troubleshoot. I’ll try a fresh install if I pursue further.

As advertised, WLK-Express sends and receives mail through both mdin6 ports when I install a fresh image.

Not sure what I did to break the udr0 port.

Things I modified:

Used Mr. McGrane's wpa_supplicant.conf to initially connect via wifi.

Added private digipeating to udr0 in direwolf.conf, later turned this off and rebooted, port still broken wrt WLK-Express.

Added beaconing using btest.sh and cron.

Added a shutdown mom-switch using dtoverlay.

Added wifi/hotspot switching partly from https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/wireless/access-point.md and partly from https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/main/message/2294 . I had to hybridize these tutorials to get this to work.  Maybe this broke Winlink through port udr0.

Beats me but I'm moving on to paclink unix.

Confirmed that all mods except the wifi/hotspot switching work with WLK-Express on both mdin6 ports. The last mod, the wifi/hotspot switch, apparently breaks udr0 but not udr1 with respect to WLK-Express.

This is for posterity and closure on my input to the topic. Mucking around with hostap, dnsmasq and iptables is way above my level of ignorance.