Topics

Quick Q on interface cables...

Charlie Hein

OK, I am ready to connect my DRAWS to my ICOM Dual band radio, which will interface through its 8-pin round mic connector.  I can sort out the wiring okay but have a couple of questions.  First, are any blocking caps or other components required for this interface, or can I just wire straight to the mic connector?  Secondly, would it be a useful thing to wire out the discriminator audio and standard audio pins on the DRAWS port to a SPDT switch to make the same cable useful for 1200 and 9600 bps operation?

Charlie

The Blocking caps are on the DRAWS board.

There is a switch in the CODEC to pick the input from SW.

BRYAN K7UDR

On Aug 4, 2020, at 7:15 AM, Charlie Hein <chein@...> wrote:

OK, I am ready to connect my DRAWS to my ICOM Dual band radio, which will interface through its 8-pin round mic connector.  I can sort out the wiring okay but have a couple of questions.  First, are any blocking caps or other components required for this interface, or can I just wire straight to the mic connector?  Secondly, would it be a useful thing to wire out the discriminator audio and standard audio pins on the DRAWS port to a SPDT switch to make the same cable useful for 1200 and 9600 bps operation?

Charlie

Charlie Hein

Hi Bryan - thanks for the clarification on the blocking caps - I sort of assumed that there was a switch in software to switch between standard audio and discriminator audio, but they would seem to of necessity wire to the same pin of the mic connector to get into the radio... or would the discriminator input need to be wired elsewhere?  This is a really old ICOM Dual band radio   I'll certainly concede to ignorance on this point, so please school me!

Charlie

The “Standard” Mini DIN 6 has one TX out put and 2 RX inputs Audio and Discriminator Out which bypasses deemphasis and is preferred for most applications.

On Aug 4, 2020, at 9:20 AM, Charlie Hein <chein@...> wrote:

Hi Bryan - thanks for the clarification on the blocking caps - I sort of assumed that there was a switch in software to switch between standard audio and discriminator audio, but they would seem to of necessity wire to the same pin of the mic connector to get into the radio... or would the discriminator input need to be wired elsewhere?  This is a really old ICOM Dual band radio   I'll certainly concede to ignorance on this point, so please school me!

Charlie

Basil Gunn

have a couple of questions. First, are any blocking caps or other
components required for this interface,
No

or can I just wire straight to the mic connector?
Yes

Secondly, would it be a useful thing to wire out the discriminator
audio and standard audio pins on the DRAWS port to a SPDT switch to
make the same cable useful for 1200 and 9600 bps operation?
If you look at a mDin6 connector pin out and the ALSA controls you will
see you can control selection of discriminator (9600 baud) or audio
(1200 baud) out. You do NOT need an SPDT switch.

mDin 6 pin 4 is discriminator out
mDin6 pin 5 is audio out (premphasis/demphasis)
Note: some radios will tie these pins together.

ALSA controls
IN1 selects discriminator routing
IN2 selects audio ((premphasis/demphasis) routing

Charlie Hein

All right - it sounds like I can just solder both wires onto the same pin on the mic connector then, correct?

Charlie

Basil Gunn

All right - it sounds like I can just solder both wires onto the same pin on the mic connector then, correct?
Be more specific which "both wires"?

Also which ICOM dual band radio?

Rather than making assumptions look for the radio connector in its
manual.

No, you do not connect the 2 OUTPUTS from the Radio Together. Each one goes to a Separate INPUT on the DRAWS.

ICOM Radios with the Mini DIN-6 Data Connector use the supplied 6 Wire Straight Thru Cables

On Aug 4, 2020, at 12:32 PM, Basil Gunn <@basil860> wrote:

All right - it sounds like I can just solder both wires onto the same pin on the mic connector then, correct?
Be more specific which "both wires"?

Also which ICOM dual band radio?

Rather than making assumptions look for the radio connector in its
manual.

Charlie Hein

I'm wiring up to an old ICOM IC-3200A.  Here's the pinouts (looking at the mic connector on the radio:

So I believe the pins I need here are 1(audio in), 5(PTT), 6&7(gnd) can be common together - they are on my hardware TNC cables anyway, and 8(audio out). Maybe the easiest thing to do would be to specify how you would wire the mini-DIN side.   can both audio and discriminator wires be attached to the same pin on the mic side, or is it better to just use one of them?

BTW, can you confirm that the mini-DIN port is wired out like this?

Charlie

Charlie Hein

Bryan, This is an older radio that's going to be wired through the mic connector, so I'm beginning to think that the question as academic, and we'll be using the audio wire.

Charlie

You just use Radio Audio Out to DRAWS Receive Audio In and leave the other input unconnected.

Yes the PinOut is correct.

On Aug 4, 2020, at 1:03 PM, Charlie Hein <chein@...> wrote:

Bryan, This is an older radio that's going to be wired through the mic connector, so I'm beginning to think that the question as academic, and we'll be using the audio wire.

Charlie

Charlie Hein

Ok, Bryan, humor me here... looking at the mini-din pinout below, I'm a little confused by its nomenclature.  I think that what's labeled "data out 1200" is what should go to the "mic input" pin on the mic connector (see Mic connector pin out below).  Audio from the DRAWS board should go to mic on the radio.  Am I misunderstanding the direction that signals are heading out of the DRAWS?  Pretty sure I have everything else figured out.

Charlie

It’s just the standard reference problem. Like a serial port. My TX goes to your RX

Charlie Hein

All right, I never thought I'd live long enough to say this but I'm giving up on trying to wire the cable myself.  Can anyone direct me to a place where I can buy one?  I'm disgusted, and I just want to get this over with now.

Charlie

On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 4:05 PM Charlie Hein <chein@...> wrote:
All right, I never thought I'd live long enough to say this but I'm giving up on trying to wire the cable myself.  Can anyone direct me to a place where I can buy one?  I'm disgusted, and I just want to get this over with now.

Charlie

Kingston, WA
K7VE

Keating Floyd

I concur with John - they've done nice work for years!

Keating

On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 7:11 PM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 4:05 PM Charlie Hein <chein@...> wrote:
All right, I never thought I'd live long enough to say this but I'm giving up on trying to wire the cable myself.  Can anyone direct me to a place where I can buy one?  I'm disgusted, and I just want to get this over with now.

Charlie

Kingston, WA
K7VE

Charlie Hein

Just got off their site. Left a message.  Thanks for the tip!

Charlie