Topics

Raspberry Pi 4

JT Croteau

Anyone going to be experimenting with the new Raspberry Pi 4?

Chris Metcalf

Assuming the pinouts are compatible, I'll be 100% going for one. I've been experimenting with the Pi3 while waiting for my DRAWS to ship (*drums fingers on desk*) and I've felt it a bit wanting in CPU. I'm not sure if I can run gqrx and wsjtx/fldigi at the same time without killing the CPU.

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 6:33 AM JT Croteau <jt.tobit@...> wrote:
Anyone going to be experimenting with the new Raspberry Pi 4?

Steve KC1AWV

For those that are interested in a video overview of the RPi 4 B, here's a good one:

Steve KC1AWV

--
Steve Miller
KC1AWV

Chris Metcalf

I just preordered one - CanaKit was (already?) sold out so I'll get it sometime in July. Glad to be a beta tester with DRAWS. It'll at least require modifications to the case.

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 8:47 AM Steve KC1AWV <smiller@...> wrote:
For those that are interested in a video overview of the RPi 4 B, here's a good one:

Steve KC1AWV

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 11:09 AM Chris Metcalf <chris@...> wrote:
Assuming the pinouts are compatible, I'll be 100% going for one. I've been experimenting with the Pi3 while waiting for my DRAWS to ship (*drums fingers on desk*) and I've felt it a bit wanting in CPU. I'm not sure if I can run gqrx and wsjtx/fldigi at the same time without killing the CPU.

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 6:33 AM JT Croteau <jt.tobit@...> wrote:
Anyone going to be experimenting with the new Raspberry Pi 4?

--
Steve Miller
KC1AWV

JT Croteau

I'll be with you, ordering DRAWS and RPI 4 on the 1st of July.

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019, 11:14 Chris Metcalf <chris@...> wrote:
[...]

Dave N2OA

Going to need yet another case design. :-)

Dave
N2OA

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 12:45 PM JT Croteau <jt.tobit@...> wrote:
[...]

Steve, N9VW

It may be worth noting that "You MUST make sure to upgrade your Raspbian operating system install to the latest version so that the firmware can support the new chips! Old SD cards from previous releases will not work without a upgrade!", per the Adafruit web site announcement.

Hopefully Anna's kernal update for the DRAWS chip drivers makes it into the Raspbian image soon.

73 de Steve, N9VW

On 6/24/2019 8:09 AM, Chris Metcalf wrote:
Assuming the pinouts are compatible, I'll be 100% going for one. I've been experimenting with the Pi3 while waiting for my DRAWS to ship (*drums fingers on desk*) and I've felt it a bit wanting in CPU. I'm not sure if I can run gqrx and wsjtx/fldigi at the same time without killing the CPU.

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 6:33 AM JT Croteau <jt.tobit@...> wrote:
Anyone going to be experimenting with the new Raspberry Pi 4?

Hi All,

The new Raspberry Pi 4 has some interesting features and we certainly will be looking at it, however, we at NW Digital Radio do not get any advance engineering information from the Raspberry Pi Foundation, so we must also wait for shipments to have test units.

In the short term, we recommend sticking with the currently supported models of Pis unless you are familiar with building software and self support.

We are also looking at updating the design for the production (non-beta) DRAWS™ aluminum cases to accommodate the 2, 3, and 4 Pi motherboards.

Stay tuned.

John D. Hays
Director

Chris Metcalf

Count me in as a beta tester if they're needed!

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 11:12 AM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
Hi All,

The new Raspberry Pi 4 has some interesting features and we certainly will be looking at it, however, we at NW Digital Radio do not get any advance engineering information from the Raspberry Pi Foundation, so we must also wait for shipments to have test units.

In the short term, we recommend sticking with the currently supported models of Pis unless you are familiar with building software and self support.

We are also looking at updating the design for the production (non-beta) DRAWS™ aluminum cases to accommodate the 2, 3, and 4 Pi motherboards.

Stay tuned.

John D. Hays
Director

Marc Lacy