Topics

Raspberry Pi 4

JT Croteau

Anyone going to be experimenting with the new Raspberry Pi 4?

Chris Metcalf

Assuming the pinouts are compatible, I'll be 100% going for one. I've been experimenting with the Pi3 while waiting for my DRAWS to ship (*drums fingers on desk*) and I've felt it a bit wanting in CPU. I'm not sure if I can run gqrx and wsjtx/fldigi at the same time without killing the CPU.

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 6:33 AM JT Croteau <jt.tobit@...> wrote:

Steve KC1AWV

For those that are interested in a video overview of the RPi 4 B, here's a good one:

Steve KC1AWV

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 11:09 AM Chris Metcalf <chris@...> wrote:
Assuming the pinouts are compatible, I'll be 100% going for one. I've been experimenting with the Pi3 while waiting for my DRAWS to ship (*drums fingers on desk*) and I've felt it a bit wanting in CPU. I'm not sure if I can run gqrx and wsjtx/fldigi at the same time without killing the CPU.

--
Steve Miller
KC1AWV

Chris Metcalf

I just preordered one - CanaKit was (already?) sold out so I'll get it sometime in July. Glad to be a beta tester with DRAWS. It'll at least require modifications to the case.

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 8:47 AM Steve KC1AWV <smiller@...> wrote:
For those that are interested in a video overview of the RPi 4 B, here's a good one:

Steve KC1AWV

--
Steve Miller
KC1AWV

JT Croteau

I'll be with you, ordering DRAWS and RPI 4 on the 1st of July.

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019, 11:14 Chris Metcalf <chris@...> wrote:
I just preordered one - CanaKit was (already?) sold out so I'll get it sometime in July. Glad to be a beta tester with DRAWS. It'll at least require modifications to the case.

Steve KC1AWV

--
Steve Miller
KC1AWV

Dave N2OA

Going to need yet another case design. :-) 

Dave
N2OA

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 12:45 PM JT Croteau <jt.tobit@...> wrote:
I'll be with you, ordering DRAWS and RPI 4 on the 1st of July.

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019, 11:14 Chris Metcalf <chris@...> wrote:

Steve KC1AWV

--
Steve Miller
KC1AWV

Steve, N9VW

It may be worth noting that "You MUST make sure to upgrade your Raspbian operating system install to the latest version so that the firmware can support the new chips! Old SD cards from previous releases will not work without a upgrade!", per the Adafruit web site announcement.

Hopefully Anna's kernal update for the DRAWS chip drivers makes it into the Raspbian image soon.

73 de Steve, N9VW

On 6/24/2019 8:09 AM, Chris Metcalf wrote:

Hi All,

The new Raspberry Pi 4 has some interesting features and we certainly will be looking at it, however, we at NW Digital Radio do not get any advance engineering information from the Raspberry Pi Foundation, so we must also wait for shipments to have test units.

In the short term, we recommend sticking with the currently supported models of Pis unless you are familiar with building software and self support.

We are also looking at updating the design for the production (non-beta) DRAWS™ aluminum cases to accommodate the 2, 3, and 4 Pi motherboards.

Stay tuned.

John D. Hays
Director

Chris Metcalf

Count me in as a beta tester if they're needed! 

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 11:12 AM John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
Hi All,

The new Raspberry Pi 4 has some interesting features and we certainly will be looking at it, however, we at NW Digital Radio do not get any advance engineering information from the Raspberry Pi Foundation, so we must also wait for shipments to have test units.

In the short term, we recommend sticking with the currently supported models of Pis unless you are familiar with building software and self support.

We are also looking at updating the design for the production (non-beta) DRAWS™ aluminum cases to accommodate the 2, 3, and 4 Pi motherboards.

Stay tuned.

John D. Hays
Director

Marc Lacy

I most probably will.

73 de KD7RYY

Marc

From: udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io [mailto:udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io] On Behalf Of JT Croteau
Sent: Monday, June 24, 2019 5:27 AM
To: udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io
Subject: [draws and udrc] Raspberry Pi 4

The Raspberry Pi 4 announcement claims that the GPIO is pin compatible with the 2 and 3.  If this holds true, then the physical connection to the DRAWS™ HAT should be fully compatible.  

We have yet to know if Annaliese's kernel driver for DRAWS™ HAT sound subsystem will be part of the initial Raspbian "Buster" release, which is required for the Raspberry Pi 4.  The current beta image is based on "Stretch" which does not support the Raspberry Pi 4 (per the Raspberry Pi Foundation), a self built image will be required until such time as NW Digital Radio provides an image based on Buster.  Raspbian Buster does not officially release until July 7th.

Status updates will be posted as available.

--
John D. Hays
Kingston, WA
K7VE

LA9KOA - Karl

Annaliese's driver is included in kernel 4.19.50 that is shipped with Rasbian Buster.

Sound and GPS on DRWS HAT confirmed working. 
See LA4RHA Lars' post for his worklog of how he set up his RPi4 with DRAWS.

https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/message/3641

Best,

Karl

JT Croteau

Thanks for this early work Lars and Karl.  I've been trying to decide whether to go with the 4 now or get a e for my new build.

This early work is encouraging. 

N1ESE

On Fri, Jul 5, 2019, 09:20 LA9KOA - Karl <oyoygard@...> wrote:

Annaliese's driver is included in kernel 4.19.50 that is shipped with Rasbian Buster.

Best,

Karl

Basil Gunn

While Anna's tlv320aic32x4 driver for DRAWS is in Raspbian kernel
4.19.50, all of her i2c timer patches are not yet in this kernel. From
Anna:

Check this directory for a clock entry marked as i2c_div in the output
/sys/kernel/debug/clk/clk_summary

I've done some preliminary testing with Raspbian 4.19.50 as well and so
far I haven't come across anything but be aware that all of Anna's
recent patches have not made it into the current Raspbian kernel.

/Basil n7nix

LA9KOA - Karl <oyoygard@...> writes:

One additional item, add the attached file to /etc/sensors.d 

On Fri, Jul 5, 2019 at 9:20 AM Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:

While Anna's tlv320aic32x4 driver for DRAWS is in Raspbian kernel
4.19.50, all of her i2c timer patches are not yet in this kernel. From
Anna:

Check this directory for a clock entry marked as i2c_div in the output
/sys/kernel/debug/clk/clk_summary

I've done some preliminary testing with Raspbian 4.19.50 as well and so
far I haven't come across anything but be aware that all of Anna's
recent patches have not made it into the current Raspbian kernel.

/Basil n7nix

LA9KOA - Karl <oyoygard@...> writes:

> Annaliese's driver is included in kernel 4.19.50 that is shipped with Rasbian Buster.
>
> Sound and GPS on DRWS HAT confirmed working.
> See LA4RHA Lars' post for his worklog of how he set up his RPi4 with DRAWS.
>
> https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/message/3641

--
John D. Hays
Kingston, WA
K7VE

la4rha@...

Thank you for the heads up, Basil !

/Lars - LA4RHA

la4rha@...

I have amended the document with the comments from John regarding the file. Have also added some comments about installing DRAWS Manager ("Follow the instructions at...")

/Lars - LA4RHA