Topics

RMS Gateway Configuration for UDRC 6pin Din

DAVID BASHAM

I followed Basil’s (N7NIX) scripts to configure a Raspberry Pi to be a RMS Gateway.  I think everything worked however I don’t know where you define which of the two UDRC Ports are to be used by the Gateway.  I know that the 6-pin din is addressed as channel 1 in Direwolf.  How or where do you tell the RMS Gateway software to use Direwolf’s Channel 1?

Basil Gunn

I followed Basil's (N7NIX) scripts to configure a Raspberry Pi to be
a RMS Gateway. I think everything worked however I don't know where
you define which of the two UDRC Ports are to be used by the
Gateway. I know that the 6-pin din is addressed as channel 1 in
Direwolf. How or where do you tell the RMS Gateway software to use
Direwolf's Channel 1?
RMS Gateway doesn't know anything about the TNC underneath it so it
doesn't care about Direwolf channels. The Gateway talks to an AX.25
device, in this case ax0.

ax0 gets setup in the /etc/ax25/ax25-upd script with mkiss &
kissattach. mkiss creates a pseudo terminal and kissattach binds it to
the port name defined in /etc/ax25/axports.

The ax25-upd script gets called at boot time as defined in
ax25dev.service which is a systemd transaction file.

Charlie Schuman K4GBB has nice documentation about this here:

http://76.5.50.228:800/docs/myhowto.html#5._Configuring_the_AX25_Service

/Basil n7nix

DAVID BASHAM

Thank you Basil!  I have read through the files you referenced although I only understand about 1/3 of what they are talking about.  In the file "ax25-upd"  I see the following text:
if [ "$UDRCII" = true ]; then
# use port 2 with mkiss
   pseudoterm=$($SBINDIR/mkiss $SERIALPORT_DIREWOLF none /dev/ptmx | tail -1)
   echo "using mkiss with UDRC II and pseudo term=$pseudoterm on port 2"
   $SBINDIR/kissattach  ${pseudoterm} ${PORTNAME} 44.24.197.66 >/tmp/ax25-config.tmp
   dbgecho "kissattach return: $?"
Is the "port 2" in this text referring to the 6-pin connector?  Is this portion of the script setting the ax0 to port 2 assuming it sees a UDRC II?
Thanks again,  Dave

Kenny Richards

Doesn't the set-udrc-din6.sh script set both the 6pin DIN connector, as well as do some presetting of the audio levels?

For the DIN-6 it only sets levels and turns on/off the audio streams -- logic levels (eg PTT) is up to the controlling program.

On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 7:16 PM, Kenny Richards <kenny@...> wrote:
Doesn't the set-udrc-din6.sh script set both the 6pin DIN connector, as well as do some presetting of the audio levels?

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223

Basil Gunn

Thank you Basil!  I have read through the files you referenced
although I only understand about 1/3 of what they are talking about.
OK, keep asking questions & we'll see if we can't make it more clear.

In the file "ax25-upd"  I see the following text:
if [ "$UDRCII" => true ]; then
# use port 2 with mkiss
pseudoterm=$($SBINDIR/mkiss $SERIALPORT_DIREWOLF none /dev/ptmx | tail -1)
echo "using mkiss with UDRC II and pseudo term=$pseudoterm on port 2"
$SBINDIR/kissattach ${pseudoterm} ${PORTNAME} 44.24.197.66 >/tmp/ax25-config.tmp
dbgecho "kissattach return: $?"

Is the "port 2" in this text referring to the 6-pin connector?
Correct

Is this portion of the script setting the ax0 to port 2 assuming it sees a UDRC II?
Correct.
This script supports both original UDRC & UDRC II.

The syntax for mkiss is like this:

# This uses first port
mkiss $SERIALPORT_DIREWOLF /dev/ptmx none

# This uses second port
mkiss $SERIALPORT_DIREWOLF none /dev/ptmx

man mkiss gives a lot of information and I used the
"Configuring for Dual Port TNC's" section from here:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/AX25-HOWTO/x495.html

/Basil