Topics

RMS-Gateway How do I update the frequency advertised on Winlink.org

Brendan O'Neill

How do I update the frequency advertised on Winlink.org ? I had notes in this but cannot find them now. I tired:

cd /etc/rmsgw
sudo nano channels.xml

but that loads a blank page. if I dig into the file structure an open the channels.xml i cannot seem to edit it.

what am I doing wrong ?

73,
Brendan
KM4HRR

Corky Searls

Brendan, something must be confused as when I do what you show below I am able to edit the file without a problem.

Suggestion:

cd /etc/rmsgw/

then type sudo nano chan
(then complete the line using the tab key. This should stop at "channels.x" and then you can type an "m" followed again by the tab key and have it complete.)

This will make sure that you do not have a typo and the file is actually in the selected path. Once you verify that it should open an edit without any problem.

Thanks,
-Corky

Thanks and 73,
-Corky, AF4PM
On 11/13/20 6:03 PM, Brendan O'Neill wrote:

How do I update the frequency advertised on Winlink.org ? I had notes in this but cannot find them now. I tired:

cd /etc/rmsgw
sudo nano channels.xml

but that loads a blank page. if I dig into the file structure an open the channels.xml i cannot seem to edit it.

what am I doing wrong ?

73,
Brendan
KM4HRR

Brendan O'Neill

Follow-up: I though by updating the channels.xml file with a new frequency it would also eventually update what's listed on winlink.org rms map and rms list. Mine has not updated in over 24 hours. Any suggestions on how to get that frequency information updated ?

73,
Brendan
KM4HRR

Corky Searls

I think you need to restart the gateway so it reads the now information.

Thanks and 73,
-Corky, AF4PM

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020, at 6:47 PM, Brendan O'Neill wrote:
Follow-up: I though by updating the channels.xml file with a new frequency it would also eventually update what's listed on winlink.org rms map and rms list. Mine has not updated in over 24 hours. Any suggestions on how to get that frequency information updated ?

73,
Brendan
KM4HRR

Brendan O'Neill

Corky, I have no idea why my freehand attempt did not work but I got it to work using your suggested method.

thanks,
brendan
km4hrr

Corky Searls

Brendan, after a reboot when you look at the file is it showing your modifications or not? If you find the file has reverted then what follows is the likely cause.

One thing I have had happen is a glitch on the SD Card and this causes it to go to a read-only mode. In this state you can read, write, and modify files, even install entirely new applications that will run until you restart the system at which point all the modifications vanish as the were only stored in a virtual swap file.

The way I solved the problem was to image the SD Card to a new SD card and that cleared the read-only state. If you are only running the RMS Gateway, I would suggest either use your backup - if you have one - or rebuild using a new card with a new image from scratch. This will probably take much less time that working to troubleshoot the problems with the existing system

Thanks and 73,
-Corky, AF4PM

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020, at 7:35 PM, Brendan O'Neill wrote:
Well, I can edit the file...

cd /etc/rmsgw

sudo nano channels.xml
Ctr X to exit
Y to Overwrite
Enter to keep file name

sudo reboot

and then it reverts back to the old information I am attempting to update.

where might it be getting that data from on the reboot?

I confirm my edits to channels.xml before the reboot

Brendan

Basil Gunn

Follow-up: I though by updating the channels.xml file with a new
frequency it would also eventually update what's listed on winlink.org
( http://winlink.org ) rms map and rms list.
The channels.xml file is used by rmschanstat which is a bash script. The
C program rmsgw_aci calls the rmschanstat bash script.
To test the Winlink automatic check-in process which updates information
displayed on winlink.org website do the following:

cd
cd n7nix/rmsgw
./chk_wlaci.sh

Post ALL the console output of the above command.

Mine has not updated in over 24 hours.
Any suggestions on how to get
that frequency information updated ?

Brendan O'Neill

I just saw this now - been swamped at work. I'll run that and post it however my original issue has been resolved and the correct data is being shared on winlink.org now.

73,
Brendan KM4HRR