Topics

Sending messages Direwolf #direwolf #ax25

I've got receiving messages with Direwolf ok, but have no clue how to send a packet message and with what program. I've used Soundmodem and Winlink packet before but never anything with Linux.
Anyone?
Todd
AL7PX

Basil Gunn

How to use Winlink to pass messages on a Raspberry Pi with a DRAWS hat
using packet radio.

Since I assume you are using an NWDR image you do NOT need to install
anything BUT you do need to configure a number of things.

Start reading the following notes from the 'Start the Config Script' link
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/plu/PACLINK-UNIX_INSTALL.md#start-the-config-script

The NWDR image has AX.25, direwolf, paclink-unix and 3 email clients all
ready installed but not configured. The focus will be on 1200 baud
packet radio connecting to a Winlink RMS Gateway or P-2-P between 2
Winlink stations.

Before configuring paclink-unix, verify ax.25/direwolf is operating.
Please read the following two guides:
'Getting Started Guide'
https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/8921

'Verifying CORE Install/Config on UDRC/DRAWS`
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/docs/VERIFY_CONFIG.md

I recommend having a console window open & running a packet spy like this:

sudo su
listen -a

Once paclink-unix is installed, install either claws-mail or rainloop
email clients. Really you will want to install both of them to see which
one you like best. Generally speaking you can run any Linux email client
I just happen to be most familiar with mutt, claws-mail & rainloop email
clients. paclink-unix configuration automatically installs email client
mutt in order to verify the other email utilities are working.
To run script chk_mail.sh:

cd
cd n7nix/debug
./chk_mail.sh

The chk_mail.sh script uses mutt to send me two Winlink messages that will
facilitate verifying your Winlink configuration.

The claws-mail & rainloop email clients require following their
configuration guides exactly.

Claws-mail email client config
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/email/claws/README.md

Rainloop email client config
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/email/rainloop/README.md

If you take it step by step the configuration is not as complicated as
it seems. Something to note is that running claws-mail assumes an
attached monitor & keyboard to your RPi. If you run rainloop, the app
runs as a web browser app for both the email client & paclink-unix which
means you can run them locally or from an other computer on the same
subnet.

/Basil n7nix

Todd via groups.io <ic7461=yahoo.com@groups.io> writes:

I've got receiving messages with Direwolf ok, but have no clue how to
send a packet message and with what program. I've used Soundmodem and
Winlink packet before but never anything with Linux. Anyone?
Todd AL7PX

Basil Gunn

I've summarized my previous post in a `Getting Started Guide` here:
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/plu/PACLINK-UNIX_GETTING_STARTED.md

Todd via groups.io <ic7461=yahoo.com@groups.io> writes:

I've got receiving messages with Direwolf ok, but have no clue how to
send a packet message and with what program. I've used Soundmodem and
Winlink packet before but never anything with Linux. Anyone?
Todd AL7PX

I've got Direwolf recieving ok and I can send a ./btest -p message to the local packet station but still can't figure out how to connect to the Winlink RMS VHF hybrid station to send email via radio. I'm wanting to send via radio and not telnet. I gave up on Mutt terminal and have Claws GUI working now too, although no configured correctly. In the past using the windows desktop I used Winlink Express packet. No idea how to send a packet email via radio to the gateway station. I've also gps position info on APRS now. If I can just figure out how to send email packet to the VHF RMS station I'll be good. Pretty confusing setup.
Todd
AL7PX

Basil Gunn

Todd via groups.io <ic7461=yahoo.com@groups.io> writes:

I've got Direwolf recieving ok and I can send a ./btest -p message to
the local packet station but still *can't* figure out how to connect
to the Winlink RMS VHF hybrid station to send email via radio.
Reference links:
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/plu/PACLINK-UNIX_INSTALL.md#verify-paclink-unix-using-your-radio-wl2kax25
http://bazaudi.com/plu/doku.php?id=plu:test_verify#wl2kax25_test

Compose winlink message with email client (mutt, claws-mail, rainloop)
Verify that message exists in outbox
chk_perm.sh
or
ls -salt /usr/local/var/wl2k/outbox

Send via telnet
wl2ktelnet

Send via ax.25 and radio
wl2ax25 -c <rmsgateway callsign>

Send via SCS-PTC-IIpro modem
wl2kserial -c <rmsgateway callsign>

These are all console command line programs. There is also a browser
interface for paclink-unix
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/plu/PACLINK-UNIX_INSTALL.md#test-plu-web-interface

To get a list of RMS gateway call signs run
rmslist.sh <integer_distance_in_miles> <maidenhead_grid_square>
ie.
$ rmslist.sh 35 cn88nl
Using distance of 35 miles & grid square CN88NL

Callsign Frequency Distance Baud
KF7FIT-10 223780000 0 1200
N7NIX-10 144910000 0 1200
K7KCA-10 440125000 3 1200
KE7KML-10 223780000 3 1200
AF4PM-10 145690000 4 1200
AE7LW-10 145050000 16 1200
AE7LW-11 440950000 16 1200
KD7X-10 145630000 16 1200
KD7X-11 145630000 16 1200
KI7ULA-10 145050000 16 1200
W7UMX-10 145630000 16 1200
W0QJM-10 145630000 19 1200
WA7GJZ-10 145630000 19 1200
WA7GJZ-10 145630000 19 1200
VE7SEP-10 145690000 23 1200
K6MBY 7103000 26 600
K6MBY-10 145690000 26 1200
NG2G-10 144990000 26 1200
KG7MYX-10 145630000 27 1200
N7FDM-10 145050000 27 1200
N7FDM-10 146438000 27 1200
KB7TEC-10 144990000 28 1200
W7ECG-10 144930000 28 1200
VE7VIC-10 145690000 31 1200
KC7OAS-10 144950000 33 1200
KG7WFV-10 145630000 35 1200
VE7SPR-10 144970000 35 1200
W7BPD-10 145630000 35 1200

http://bazaudi.com/plu/doku.php?id=plu:test_verify#wl2kax25_test

I'm wanting to send via radio and not telnet. I gave up on Mutt terminal
and have Claws GUI working now too, although no configured correctly.
For claws-mail & rainloop you MUST follow the setup instructions exactly as written.
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/tree/master/email/claws

In the past using the windows desktop I used Winlink Express
packet. No idea how to send a packet email via radio to the gateway station. I've
also gps position info on APRS now. If I can just figure out how to send
email packet to the VHF RMS station I'll be good.
Pretty confusing setup.
So what would you change to make it better?

Please join the groups.io paclink-unix group and ask your paclink-unix
questions there: https://groups.io/g/paclink-unix

Ok, got emails to send using Paclink wl2ktelnet. I gave up with mutt and used Claws. My problem was not knowing the email sits in a outbox after composing. Could never get Mutt to send. Then your command to send with ax25 was very helpful. If there was a description of the sequence would have been helpful with the online procedures. This is the first time I've seen these anywhere. That link was right on the money what I needed. You should include that in the online configuring procedures. Explain how the emails sit in a outbox too.

Send via telnet
wl2ktelnet

Send via ax.25 and radio
wl2ax25 -c <rmsgateway callsign>

Now, I just need to try and send with ax25 using the radio. I'm at work and will have to wait till tomorrow. Probably the last thing to try is Peer to Peer. Any helpful procedures written for that? Many thanks.

Todd
AL7PX

On Tuesday, September 8, 2020, 03:32:43 PM AKDT, Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:

> [...]

VE7SPR-10     144970000    35    1200
W7BPD-10      145630000    35    1200

http://bazaudi.com/plu/doku.php?id=plu:test_verify#wl2kax25_test

> I'm wanting to send via radio and not telnet. I gave up on Mutt terminal
> and have Claws GUI working now too, although no configured correctly.

For claws-mail & rainloop you MUST follow the setup instructions exactly as written.
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/tree/master/email/claws

> In the past using the windows desktop I used Winlink Express
> packet. No idea how to send a packet email via radio to the gateway station. I've
> also gps position info on APRS now. If I can just figure out how to send
> email packet to the VHF RMS station I'll be good.

> Pretty confusing setup.

So what would you change to make it better?

Please join the groups.io paclink-unix group and ask your paclink-unix

Tested sending ax25 messages with Claws and Direwolf, worked terrific. Thanks for all the help.
Todd
AL7PX

Basil Gunn

Pleased you have things working! Thanks for posting your success.