Topics

setalsa for Yaesu FT-8900? #ax25 #ft-8900

Jay S

I am trying to use an FT-8900 and having some trouble with setup. I used the spreadsheet and got bogged down trying to use draws-manager. The manual shows data-in max input level 40mV p-p for 1200 bps and pin 5 maximum output 300 mV p-p.Spreadsheet gives PCM = -7.5, LO = -6.0 if I'm using it right.

I tried using draws-manager to set these levels. The radio transmits but the signal sounds weak/funny and never gets any response from the gateway. It can copy beacons from the gateway. I suspect there's more I need to do to make it work with the 8900. I see several users who are connected to 8900, but no details of what they had to do. This leads me to 2 questions:

- Does somebody have a working setalsa script for the FT-8900R? Or maybe confirm what settings you're using?
- I tried to set up on port udr1. The setalsa scripts all seem to assume udr0. Is there a trick I'm missing to configure udr1?

I am able to use Alinco 110 (thanks for the setalsa, Basil) on this setup with APRS and paclink-unix. I have tried plugging the 8900 into udr1 and using the Alinco settings but the results are same, even if I change the analog and digital gain in Draws manager.

Thanks,

Jay KI7JS

Basil Gunn

Hi Jay,

I am trying to use an FT-8900
Which radio within the FT-9800, VHF/UHF or HF?

Jay S <jaystagnone@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

FT-8900 is an FM-only 70cm/2m/6m/10m mobile. I have tried 2m and 70cm to the available gateways. Still trying to get vhf working so I have not yet connected Draws to any HF radio, but that's coming next.

Thanks,

Jay

Brian KM6IGY

Has there been any progress with getting the FT-8900R to work with the DRAWS hat on 2m/70cm. I was hoping to use it for emcomm purposes.

73

Basil Gunn

Has there been any progress with getting the FT-8900R to work with the
DRAWS hat on 2m/70cm.
Hi Brian,

Searching the forum I see Tom KE5ICX has his FT-8900 working with a
DRAWS in 03/2019.

https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/message/2932

If you are having problems I recommend using the measure_deviate.sh
script in n7nix/deviation directory to output a tone that you can verify
with another radio like your HT. This will allow you to set your ALSA
settings and give you confidence that that PTT is working as well.

Be aware that on some Yaesu radios (FT-817/857/897) the COS/SQL pin
(pin 6 on mDin6 cable) should be disconnected to get receive audio
working. Also verify the ALSA control ADCFGA left & right is turned off.

/Basil