Topics

Split Channel

Jim Erickson

Hi All and Happy New Year.

Basil, I believe I read on here somewhere that you were working on the split-channel operation of the Draws and making so that you could do HF and APRS/Packet with two different radios?  If it was, please read on, if not, hopefully whomever it was will see this.

Anyways, I got a chance to try it as the prospect intrigued me.  To be able to have local packet traffic and be able to do HF, in my mind, primarily JS8 with one RPi seems the dream.  So I tried running your scripts which seemed to work excellent.  Easy to turn on and off, works as expected in my books, almost.  I've verified, when running the ax25-start, without the split-channel, I'm decoding local APRS traffic in dire wolf.  My volume is a little lower than I'd like, so I do need to experiment with a different 2m rig, but the point is that I do decode packets.  Then when I enable the split channel and then re-enable ax25-start and start listening for APRS traffic, I decode none.  I'm using the left mini-din for both split and non-split APRS work.

I confess, pulse audio is very new to me.  I think I roughly understand it, but not definitively, and configuring it within linux is not in my tools yet.

Any thoughts?  I'm going to try a different 2m rig to see if that makes a difference.  I have verified that the right din works as expected.
Thanks for this!

Jim
VA7SHG/VE7TGZ
73

Basil Gunn

Jim,
First, thanks for trying out split-channels!

Some back ground.
Anna made a repo & got split-channels working around last April. I
picked it up last November & made some install scripts to configure
things a little differently.

If you follow the README.md file from
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/split-channels
you will end up with the left mDin6 connector controlling an HF radio &
the right a VHF/UHF radio. What that does is make the right connector
device udr0 when it used to be udr1.

If you use the split_install.sh script from n7nix/splitchan it will keep
the left mDin6 connector for VHF/UHF which means it remains device udr0
and the right connector will be used by pulse audio for HF.

So November turned into December and I spent less time doing NW Digital
Radio stuff as the holidays started sucking up more of my time. This is
just to rationalize my excuse for what works & what doesn't.

The install script (split_install.sh) works OK.
The status script (split_status.sh) mainly used for debugging works OK.
The toggle script has never been tested but seemed like a good idea at
the time.

As it happened the split channel stuff worked well enough right away
that I started playing more with HF modes with packet happening on the
other channel. Seemed cool and I stopped script testing and did more
Hammy things.

I have not tried what you are describing which I think is:

Install split chan
- which has ax.25 running on udr0, left mDin6 & HF on right mDin6

Run ax25-start when split chan is running
- shouldn't have to do this and needs testing
- pretty sure this will mess with the split chan config
- you can run split_status.sh to confirm

I need to finish testing split_toggle.sh which will go from split chan
to both chans either config'ed for ax.25/direwolf or both ready for HF.

Will get back to you in a bit as I finish testing with a clean image.

/Basil n7nix

[...]

Thanks Basil and I understand this time of year.  I’ve had trying the split chan on my list to try for quite awhile but just haven’t found the time, even with time off.  I finally decided to give it a try yesterday, at the end of my vacation.

I don’t know that I have a specific workflow in mind.  I tried this on an already setup image that has had the core_install run.  I imagined that I would have to stop ax25, then run the split_toggle (which would have to change the dire wolf config) and the restart ax25.

I’ve taken a look at the resulting direwolf.conf and I think I’ve discovered what the issue was.  It’s pointing to draws-capture-right and draws-playback-right.  Should be left, which I’ve switched, and now I’m decoding packets!

This is a super radio workstation now.  I can have 2m/70cm packet on one mini din and HF/JS8 on the other.  Brilliant!!

------
73,
Jim
VA7SHG - Phone
VE7TGZ/VA7TGZ - Other

On Jan 6, 2020, at 11:09, Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:

[...]

John Spoonhower

Basil and others,
I am trying to create a split channel system using my DRAWS board but not having success. I am running the current NW16 image on a Pi3.
I have installed pulseaudio as per the github page. https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/split-channels. Also copied the supplied files from the master /etc directory to their appropriate /etc points. /etc/direwolf.conf has been edited to appear as:
ADEVICE plughw:CARD=udrc,DEV=0 plughw:CARD=udrc,DEV=0
ACHANNELS 2
ARATE 48000
CHANNEL 0
#MYCALL N0CALL-1
MYCALL NX2I-1
MODEM 1200
PTT GPIO 12

I also enabled pulseaudio with:
sudo systemctl enable pulseaudio
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/pulseaudio.service → /etc/systemd/system/pulseaudio.service.
pi@draws:~ $ sudo systemctl status pulseaudio
● pulseaudio.service - PulseAudio Daemon
   Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/pulseaudio.service; enabled; vendor prese
   Active: inactive (dead)
so it's enabled but not started....

then ran the split_chan.sh script:

pi@draws:~/n7nix/splitchan $ sudo ./split_chan.sh
Running as root
Service: pulseaudio is already stopped
./split_chan.sh: line 506: ax25-stop: command not found
./split_chan.sh: line 507: ax25-start: command not found
Service: direwolf is NOT enabled and NOT running

so I then tried to check the status:
pi@draws:~/n7nix/splitchan $ sudo ./split_status.sh

Port config file exists split channel is DISabled
Service: pulseaudio is enabled and NOT running
Direwolf is NOT running
Check: ADEVICE plughw:CARD=udrc,DEV=0 plughw:CARD=udrc,DEV=0
Check: ARATE parameter already set to 48000 in direwolf config file.
Number of direwolf channels: 2

given the earlier failure to run ax25-start, I figured this was the problem, so,...
pi@draws:~/bin $ sudo ./ax25-start
Enter user name (pi tmp ), followed by [enter]: pi

STARTING AX.25/Direwolf: port 0: 1200 & port1: 1200 baud modems.
Starting: direwolf.service
ENABLING direwolf.service
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/direwolf.service → /etc/systemd/system/direwolf.service.
Starting: ax25dev.path
ENABLING ax25dev.path
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/ax25dev.path → /etc/systemd/system/ax25dev.path.
Starting: ax25dev.service
ENABLING ax25dev.service
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/ax25dev.service → /etc/systemd/system/ax25dev.service.
Starting: ax25-mheardd.service
ENABLING ax25-mheardd.service
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/ax25-mheardd.service → /etc/systemd/system/ax25-mheardd.service.

This never completed. I had to cntrl-c to get out...

This is where I am currently stuck!

Any help is appreciated,
73, John, NX2I

Jim Erickson

John, I’m not going to be a lot of help with figuring out your situation, but I’ll tell you my experience with spilt channel was really simple.  I only ran the scripts of Basil’s.  I didn’t hand edit much, nor did I manually install much.  If I remember, pulse audio got installed by the script, direwolf got edited, exports, etc..  I haven’t tried from scratch again, though that is my intention with the new RPi 4 8Gb version, once I move my Hat over.
------
73,
Jim
VA7SHG - Phone
VE7TGZ/VA7TGZ - Other

On Jun 22, 2020, at 09:31, John Spoonhower <jpspoonhower@...> wrote:

[...]

John,
I will document what we do to get you going and check it in to github

- The split channel scripts in the n7nix repo are not compatible with
the documentation in the split-channels repo. I set up the n7nix
scripts to be able to choose which connector is used for HF & which is
controlled by Direwolf ... and then only tested LEFT direwolf, RIGHT
hf which is different from the split-channels repo. I did this so that
the port name udr0 is always on the left connector and does not move
to the right connector. So left connector direwolf vhf/uhf and right
connector for HF radio.

- I will remove the split_chan.sh script sometime soon. Please use
./split_ctrl.sh (Do not run as root)

Usage: split_ctrl.sh [-c <connector>][-s][-d][-h][left|right|off]
No args will show status of Direwolf, pulseaudio & asound
left ENable split channel, direwolf uses left connector
right ENable split channel, direwolf uses right connector NOT IMPLEMENTED
off DISable split channel
-c right | left ENable split channel, use either right or left mDin6 connector.
-s Display verbose status
-d Set DEBUG flag
-h Display this message.

- I need to make a custom setalsa script for which 2 radios you are
using. Look at n7nix/bin/setalsa-ic706_tmv71a.sh to see what I'm
talking about. I tested split channels with a TM-V71a & an Icom
ic-706mkIIG. So which 2 radios are you using?

- To make things a little cleaner I pulled some variables out of the
scripts and put them in file /etc/ax25/ports.conf. After you run the
split_ctrl.sh script you can confirm that split channels is configured
by checking that the packet speed parameter for port 1 (right
connector, HF radio) is "off".

I am pretty busy this week so please be patient with me.

/Basil

*
[...]

Hi Basil,
my plan is to run a Yaesu FT-7900R on the VHF Channel and an Icom IC-7300 on HF.
Here is some output from the split_ctrl.sh command script:

pi@draws:~/n7nix/splitchan $ ./split_ctrl.sh
  Detected pulseaudio package.
 == Pulse Audio is NOT RUNNING.
split-channels repo does NOT exist
asound config file DOES exist
Pulseaudio configuration directory DOES exist
Service: pulseaudio is enabled and NOT running
Direwolf is running with pid: 23683 and controls both channels
  Check: ADEVICE plughw:CARD=udrc,DEV=0 plughw:CARD=udrc,DEV=0
  Check: ARATE parameter already set to 48000 in direwolf config file.
  Number of direwolf channels: 2
Detected pulseaudio package.
  No split-channels source directory found (/home/pi/dev/github/split-channels)
pi@draws:~/n7nix/splitchan $ ./split_ctrl.sh -c left -s
Set connector to: left
  Detected pulseaudio package.
 == Pulse Audio is NOT RUNNING.
split-channels repo does NOT exist
asound config file DOES exist
Pulseaudio configuration directory DOES exist
Service: pulseaudio is enabled and NOT running
Direwolf is running with pid: 23683 and controls both channels
  Check: ADEVICE plughw:CARD=udrc,DEV=0 plughw:CARD=udrc,DEV=0
  Check: ARATE parameter already set to 48000 in direwolf config file.
  Number of direwolf channels: 2
Detected pulseaudio package.
  No split-channels source directory found (/home/pi/dev/github/split-channels)

I will lay-low until I hear back from you. I have plenty of other irons in the fire at this point....so please do not rush on my behalf.
73,
John

John Spoonhower

Basil,
one more thing. here is the current state of /etc/ax25/port.conf; I do not see a ports.conf....
73,
John

pi@draws:/etc/ax25 $ more port.conf
# Configuration for each sound card port
# version: 1.1
#
# speed is the modulator baud rate and can be:
#     1200
#     9600
#     off (for split channel)
#
# receive_out (from radio) can be:
#     disc (for discriminator) or
#     audio (for preemphasis/deemphasis)
#
# You can run 1200 baud with receive signal from discriminator
# You can NOT run 9600 baud with receive signal from audio

[port0]
speed=1200
ip_address="192.168.255.2"
receive_out=audio

[port1]
speed=1200
ip_address="192.168.255.3"
receive_out=audio

[baud_1200]
slottime=200
txdelay=500
t1_timeout=3000
t2_timeout=1000

[[baud_9600]
slottime=10
txdelay=150
t1_timeout=2000
t2_timeout=100

Basil Gunn

Yep. /etc/ax25/port.conf

my plan is to run a Yaesu FT-7900R on the VHF Channel and an Icom IC-7300 on HF.
The IC-7300 has an internal sound card so you will not need to run in
split-channel mode.

You will need to know the serial device name of the CAT port and which
audio card number is assigned to the each of DRAWS & IC-7300

Do an ls /dev/ttyU* before & after you plug in your
cat cable so you know the device name assigned to it.

## For an IC-7300 which has an internal sound card

* This config does NOT use a udrc/DRAWS hat
* IC-7300 sound card PCM connects to RPi via USB cable

* When you plug in the USB cable to the RPI from the IC-7300 it
becomes audio card 1, the udrc/DRAWS hat becomes card 2 and the RPi internal sound
card remains as card 0.

* _CODEC_ is the name of the IC-7300 sound card device

To get a list of playback devices:
aplay -l

```
Playback Device list example.

# Internal RPi audio device
Card 0, ID `ALSA', name `bcm2835 ALSA'
Device hw:0,0 ID `bcm2835 ALSA', name `bcm2835 ALSA', 7 subdevices (7 available)

# IC-7300 audio device
Card 1, ID `CODEC', name `USB Audio CODEC'
Device hw:1,0 ID `USB Audio', name `USB Audio', 1 subdevices (0 available)

# UDRC/DRAWS hat audio device
Card 2, ID `udrc', name `udrc'
Device hw:2,0 ID `bcm2835-i2s-tlv320aic32x4-hifi tlv320aic32x4-hifi-0', name `', 1 subdevices (1 available)
```

John Spoonhower <jpspoonhower@...> writes:

Basil,
one more thing. here is the current state of /etc/ax25/port.conf; I do not see a ports.conf....

John Spoonhower

Hi Basil,
bear with me ...... I just purchased the IC-7300, so I am just starting to learn the intricacies. Parenthetically, it's the my first brand-new out of the box HF rig in 58 years of hamming.
According to the manual, the USB port can be used for PC control, and sending received audio to the PC. It also states that decoded RTTY output can be directed to a PC. I haven't had a chance to look over the schematics, so I am unclear just what is being sent (analog, digital, both, etc.) .
Additionally, there is a an ACC socket where there is the option to direct audio (analog) from the radio to a PC either from the AF detector or the rcvr IF.
Because I enjoy experimenting I am very much still interested in a configuration where the DRAWS board is used in SPLIT mode. I can be patient . Thanks for your guidance relating to the USB port.
73,
John, NX2I

 Hi John,

The IC-7300 has a built in sound card available via the USB port, this is good for Direwolf, Fldigi, WSJT-X, and other digital soundcard modems.  It also presents a serial port via USB for control of the radio operating parameters and PTT.

You can, of course, use the accessory port connected to the DRAWS™ port as an alternative.

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 9:53 AM John Spoonhower <jpspoonhower@...> wrote:
[...]

Kingston, WA
K7VE

John Spoonhower

John,
thanks for the info. It makes sense that the soundcard output is not just RTTY. For the ACC socket on the IC-7300, is there both digital (soundcard) and analog capability? Or am I misunderstanding the cryptically worded users manual.. To me it seems you can select either AF or IF data but the format (digital vs. analog) is unclear.
73,
John

John,

I have a 7300 but haven't been able to exercise it yet. I have been living in an apartment for the last year with no antennas :(

Most of these applications are looking for AF which the USB soundcard should provide.

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 10:36 AM John Spoonhower <jpspoonhower@...> wrote:
John,
thanks for the info. It makes sense that the soundcard output is not just RTTY. For the ACC socket on the IC-7300, is there both digital (soundcard) and analog capability? Or am I misunderstanding the cryptically worded users manual.. To me it seems you can select either AF or IF data but the format (digital vs. analog) is unclear.
73,
John

Kingston, WA
K7VE

Jack Spitznagel

John and John,

Have the 7300 here and have been using it for several years (yes – early adopter). Everything available over USB depending on rig settings and mode of operation are: Audio Out (analog), Audio In (digital control of rig’s “DAC”), data for C-IV rig control, data RTTY decode, limited IQ for SDR program (including ICOM’s RS-BA1 and HRD) *if* you use the remote and serial control for C-IV).

Unfortunately my test bed DRAWS unit suffered a somewhat mysterious issue and demise, so pending a replacement, I have not continued to experiment with it to any degree.

Jack Spitznagel – KD4IZ

Trustee for NR3DT

The Museum Ship USCGC Taney WHEC-37 Amateur Radio Group

[...]

Which would be helpful if you were doing 9600 baud packet or higher
bandwidth voice modulations. Probably not an issue on the HF 7300
like it is on the all-band all-mode IC-7100.