Topics

Strange Behavior

Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...>

In FT8, there are two modes, one is "Data" which is supposed to use the rear port on the radio and the other is "USB"... I'm not sure what this is supposed to use, but it opens the MIC to ambient noise.

In the image below, you can see where there is a "normal" waterfall (USB) mode and a "splatter" (Data)

Radio: FT-891

I had this working fine before, now its "lousy"... I haven't changed or upgraded anything.  The only thing I did was to start messing around with a UHF rig on the other port (which is unplugged and put away for now).

My "setalsa" levels are:

sset 'PCM' -3dB,-3dB
sset 'ADC Level' 0.0dB,0.0dB
sset 'LO Driver Gain' -6.0dB,-6.0dB

any ideas what might be going wrong now?

image.png

Basil Gunn

Please do NOT post the same question to two forums.

Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...> writes:

In the image below, you can see where there is a "normal" waterfall (USB)
mode and a "splatter" (Data)

Radio: FT-891

I had this working fine before, now its "lousy"... I haven't changed or
upgraded anything.
Could you be more specific about what your are expecting.

The only thing I did was to start messing around with a
UHF rig on the other port (which is unplugged and put away for now).

My "setalsa" levels are:

sset 'PCM' -3dB,-3dB
sset 'ADC Level' 0.0dB,0.0dB
sset 'LO Driver Gain' -6.0dB,-6.0dB

any ideas what might be going wrong now?
Would prefer if you supplied the output of alsa-show.sh rather than what
your script is supposed to do.

Check for these menu settings on your radio:
- 1200 or 9600 baud data (ie. AFOUT or DISCOUT)
- DIG DISP: display shift
- DIG SHIFT: passband response
- DIG MIC: AFSK drive level
- DIG MODE: User defined digital mode

/Basil

Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...>

See answers inline below:

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 10:27 AM Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:

Please do NOT post the same question to two forums.

Which one of the forums is meant for "DRAWS"?  We have both "main" and "udrc", neither seem like a 100% match.  Confusing for customers.

Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...> writes:

> In the image below, you can see where there is a "normal" waterfall (USB)
> mode and a "splatter" (Data)
>
> Radio: FT-891
>
> I had this working fine before, now its "lousy"... I haven't changed or
> upgraded anything.

Could you be more specific about what your are expecting.

I was hoping the picture came through.  By "lousy" I mean its not working at all in its configuration (which is unchanged), whereas before I was able to make 100+ QSOs in an FT8 Contest day.

> The only thing I did was to start messing around with a
> UHF rig on the other port (which is unplugged and put away for now).
>
> My "setalsa" levels are:
>
> sset 'PCM' -3dB,-3dB
> sset 'ADC Level' 0.0dB,0.0dB
> sset 'LO Driver Gain' -6.0dB,-6.0dB
>
> any ideas what might be going wrong now?

Would prefer if you supplied the output of alsa-show.sh rather than what
your script is supposed to do.

 ===== ALSA Controls for Radio Tansmit =====
LO Driver Gain  L:[-6.00dB] R:[-6.00dB]
PCM        L:[-3.00dB] R:[-3.00dB]
DAC Playback PT L:[PTM_P3] R:[PTM_P3]
LO Playback CM [Full Chip CM]

 ===== ALSA Controls for Radio Receive =====
ADC Level L:[0.00dB] R:[0.00dB]
IN1 L:[Off] R:[Off]
IN2 L:[10 kOhm] R:[10 kOhm]
CM L:[10 kOhm] R:[10 kOhm]

Check for these menu settings on your radio:
- 1200 or 9600 baud data (ie. AFOUT or DISCOUT)
- DIG DISP: display shift
- DIG SHIFT: passband response
- DIG MIC: AFSK drive level
- DIG MODE: User defined digital mode

These settings do not exist in my FT-891 (unless its under some other name that doesn't make sense)

I have:

DATA LCUT FREQ
DAATA LCUT SLOPE
DATA HCUT FREQ
DATA HCUT SLOPE
DATA IN SELECT (REAR)
DATA PTT SELECT (DAKY)
DATA OUT LEVEL (100w)
DATA BFO

Which one of the forums is meant for "DRAWS"? We have both "main" and
"udrc", neither seem like a 100% match. Confusing for customers.
My point was to not post to more than one forum. For your question the
udrc forum makes the most sense.

I was hoping the picture came through. By "lousy" I mean its not working
at all in its configuration (which is unchanged), whereas before I was able
to make 100+ QSOs in an FT8 Contest day.
Have you had your configuration working since you ran your
setalsa-ft891.sh script on 6/11? ie. is this a continuation of your "Audio
Debug?" thread?

The only thing I did was to start messing around with a
UHF rig on the other port (which is unplugged and put away for now).
These settings do not exist in my FT-891 (unless its under some other name
that doesn't make sense)

I have:

DATA LCUT FREQ
DAATA LCUT SLOPE
DATA HCUT FREQ
DATA HCUT SLOPE
DATA IN SELECT (REAR)
DATA PTT SELECT (DAKY)
DATA OUT LEVEL (100w)
DATA BFO
My mistake I don't own an FT-891.

Looks like you also have these settings:

DATA MODE
PSK TONE
OTHER DISP PSK/OTHERS
OTHER SHIFT

/Basil

Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...>

>Have you had your configuration working since you ran your
>setalsa-ft891.sh script on 6/11? ie. is this a continuation of your "Audio
>Debug?" thread?

It was running fine after I ran my ft-891 script a few weeks ago, and it got better after I ran it again... but doesn't work 100%.

From the audio debug thread, I thought I had it working, but I didn't... I can either decode or I can transmit (by switching modes in WSJT-X), but since I can't do "both", I can't have a successful QSO.

The measure_deviate script runs, but other than putting info on the screen, doesn't actually do anything.

alsa_show results are above.

This is a continuation of the audio debug thread with some new information and a picture of the waterfall.  Since I closed out that thread early, I wanted to start a new thread.

DATA MODE: OTHERS
PSK TONE: 1000Hz
OTHER DISP: 0Hz
OTHER SHIFT: 0Hz
PSK/OTHERS: Don't appear to have this one.

I would imagine that you guys don't have every radio, but I was hoping to be of some help with audio settings and providing a script that works (used to anyway) for future releases.  I sent in the details from Yaesu and my interpretation of translating them for the setalsa-X script after the contest a couple of months ago.

For grins I did a factory reset of the radio, nothing changed.  I can reload the DRAWS SD card, but I'm not sure that would really have any effect either.

I'm at a loss of what to even attempt to change/fix next.

Symptoms:

WSJT-X set to "Data Mode: USB" gives me decode and "open mic".  I can not transmit successfully in this setting.  PTT opens, but no carrier/signal is sent.  I can tell this by my external signal meter not moving, the SWR meter on the radio doesn't move and the tuner doesn't budge.

WSJT-X set to "Data Mode: Data/PKT" gives me lousy decode, maybe 1 or 2 per cycle instead of the normal amount of a "screenful".  PTT opens, carrier and signal are sent.  SWR meter bounces, external signal meter moves and the tuner will tune if the radio is out of range.

You can see the difference in these two modes in the waterfall pic I sent before.

Not for any particular reason, but these are just my observations.

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 4:22 PM Basil Gunn <basil@...> wrote:

> Which one of the forums is meant for "DRAWS"?  We have both "main" and
> "udrc", neither seem like a 100% match.  Confusing for customers.

My point was to not post to more than one forum. For your question the
udrc forum  makes the most sense.

> I was hoping the picture came through.  By "lousy" I mean its not working
> at all in its configuration (which is unchanged), whereas before I was able
> to make 100+ QSOs in an FT8 Contest day.

Have you had your configuration working since you ran your
setalsa-ft891.sh script on 6/11? ie. is this a continuation of your "Audio
Debug?" thread?

>> > The only thing I did was to start messing around with a
>> > UHF rig on the other port (which is unplugged and put away for now).

> These settings do not exist in my FT-891 (unless its under some other name
> that doesn't make sense)
>
> I have:
>
> DATA LCUT FREQ
> DAATA LCUT SLOPE
> DATA HCUT FREQ
> DATA HCUT SLOPE
> DATA IN SELECT (REAR)
> DATA PTT SELECT (DAKY)
> DATA OUT LEVEL (100w)
> DATA BFO

My mistake I don't own an FT-891.

Looks like you also have these settings:

DATA MODE
PSK TONE
OTHER DISP PSK/OTHERS
OTHER SHIFT

Radio: FT-891
Do you have the cable from the DRAWS board plugged into the back of your
radio? ie. from the wsjtx doc

"Choose Data/Pkt if your radio offers such an option and uses it to
enable the rear-panel audio line input."

I think Data Mode: USB uses the microphone & speaker outputs so I
wouldn't use that.

Have you tried Data Mode: None
This prevents wsjtx from changing your radio mode setting.

Use the measure_deviate.sh script to verify you are able to send a tone
out your radio. ie. Use a second radio tuned to the transmit frequency
of the first radio. Get this working first as it is basic functionality
you can build on.

/Basil

Symptoms:

WSJT-X set to "Data Mode: USB" gives me decode and "open mic". I can not
transmit successfully in this setting. PTT opens, but no carrier/signal is
sent. I can tell this by my external signal meter not moving, the SWR
meter on the radio doesn't move and the tuner doesn't budge.

WSJT-X set to "Data Mode: Data/PKT" gives me lousy decode, maybe 1 or 2 per
cycle instead of the normal amount of a "screenful". PTT opens, carrier
and signal are sent. SWR meter bounces, external signal meter moves and
the tuner will tune if the radio is out of range.

You can see the difference in these two modes in the waterfall pic I sent
before.

Steve McGrane <temporarilyoffline@...>

I have the data cable plugged in and I've used data/pkt successfully before.  This is why this is so frustrating... it used to work and now nothing works.

I'll have to see what I can rig up to run with the measure_deviate script and report back.