Topics

Trying to set the UDRC2 pins and levels via the script

Johnny

Im logged in under pi and password is compass1 and try to run the script for the UDRC2 pins and levels, via the script and it says:permission denied! what am I doing wrong
attachment is what it says on the pi.
thanks in advance

You shouldn't be having permission issues, but your curl didn't work so you don't have the script pulled down yet. You won't be able to execute the script.

Try

cd /tmp

Then try the rest of the commands as if you had used cd ~ (~ means home directory).

BTW you should change the password if your pi is accessible to the network.

If you are setting up for a repeater, you might want to try this approach. https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/topic/4816993#1419

On Thu, Oct 26, 2017 at 8:48 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
You shouldn't be having permission issues, but your curl didn't work so you don't have the script pulled down yet. You won't be able to execute the script.

Try

cd /tmp

Then try the rest of the commands as if you had used cd ~ (~ means home directory).

BTW you should change the password if your pi is accessible to the network.

On Oct 26, 2017 20:25, <w5pfr@...> wrote:
Im logged in under pi and password is compass1 and try to run the script for the UDRC2 pins and levels, via the script and it says:permission denied! what am I doing wrong
attachment is what it says on the pi.
thanks in advance

Johnny

Is there somewhere that I can find the settings for the dstarrepeater, (not Gui) here? i changes the soundcard RXdevice to 0, and still not able to decode on two meters.
most everything is set to 0, and the PTTinvert looks to be set to 1.

I have been changing them, but Dstar radios are not able to decode the signal coming out of the DR1X.
The repeater does hear it and will TX the dstar signal, but non of my dstar radios are able to decode. (The infamous dv/fm flahsing)

Thanks in advance:
john

You said earlier you were having permissions problems.  Have you resolved those issues?

Playing with pins and levels will most likely be an exercise in frustration, which is why we provide scripts and recipes for setting the UDRC.

The scripts will set the pins and levels correctly, which is why , if you have permission problems, they aren't helping. There are two basic formulas to follow.  If you want to be able to setup using a web browser from another computer (eg. no GUI installed on the Raspberry Pi) then you should use the method outlined at  https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/topic/web_based_udrc_setup_for/4816993 (I spent probably on the order of 100 hours building and testing this web based setup system and it has been successfully used by people in the field).

Almost universally, if a DR-1X doesn't work with these setups it is:

1. A step in the instructions was missed
2. The installer tried to second guess the instructions
3. Old firmware was used on the repeater.  Using 1.10 series is recommended, using 1.00 series can only be used FM/D-STAR.

It may be best to burn a fresh image, using one of the two methods above, then follow the steps as outlined.

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 6:37 PM, <w5pfr@...> wrote:
Is there somewhere that I can find the settings for the dstarrepeater, (not Gui) here? i changes the soundcard RXdevice to 0, and still not able to decode on two meters.
most everything is set to 0, and the PTTinvert looks to be set to 1.

I have been changing them, but Dstar radios are not able to decode the signal coming out of the DR1X.
The repeater does hear it and will TX the dstar signal, but non of my dstar radios are able to decode. (The infamous dv/fm flahsing)

Thanks in advance:
john

One other thing is to check out your 15 pin cable, make sure it has all pins connected straight through.  We had one case where, upon inspection one of the pins was pushed back into the connector and once it was properly reseated, things came to life.

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 10:47 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
[...]

Took your advice on the fresh start. I've got everything setup as it has outlined. I'm looking at the logs, and I'm seeing the headers are being seen by the program, it is seeing my call sign and info, so DR1X is receiving the correct info from the board, I do have the RX set to 0 for Two meters, But neither of my dstar radios are able to decode the signal coming out the repeater. I did follow where you said to listen on the Dstar signals, input and output and etc. I'm not hearing that beep, when the repeater first keys up! I think that's what my problem is.

Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance, jk
Sorry for all the questions and emails. Most of my problem is Linux. Never been any good with it😎

On Nov 15, 2017, at 12:55 AM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

[...]

Which approach? You should not need to adjust rx or tx.

On Nov 15, 2017 07:29, "Johnny" <w5pfr@...> wrote:
[...]

In dstarrepeater program, where it says, for two meters, change the modem RX to 0, not invert
And my repeater callsign
That's all

On Nov 15, 2017, at 9:43 AM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

[...]

OK, I am assuming you didn't use the web based approach.

When you keyup on the input, does the repeater keyup?

When the repeater transmits D-STAR, have you listened to the output using an FM receiver?  Does it sound about the same volume as what you get when you listen to your D-STAR repeater with a FM receiver?

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 8:12 AM, Johnny <w5pfr@...> wrote:
In dstarrepeater program, where it says, for two meters, change the modem RX to 0, not invert
And my repeater callsign
That's all

Johnny

Well, I'm using the web based instruction on your link. And yes, the repeater keys up and I'm looking at the logs in the  Dstarrepeater program screen and I'm seeing my callsign and info being seen and decoded by the board. I've listened to the signal in analog mode, and it's about the same volume level in and out, only difference is that, I'm not hearing that very first Tone that I hear from actual Dstar repeater or when two Dstar radios talking to each other. It's a distinct sound, kinda like a Beep, and then you hear the rest. I'm missing that very first TONE, when DR1X transmits. I'm wondering if that's why my radios are not decoding the transmit signals from DR1X. I'm not even using any tone on the repeater at the moment and it is set up on Auto/Auto and just on dummy load at the moment. It has the 1.1Q , ( I think, I'm at work at the moment). I just received the repeater last night and it works fine by it self. Has it in remote setup and the board and the pi obviously is being powered up through the supplied cable. And all the pins are looking ok 👌.
Thanks. Jk

On Nov 15, 2017, at 11:25 AM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

OK, I am assuming you didn't use the web based approach.

When you keyup on the input, does the repeater keyup?

When the repeater transmits D-STAR, have you listened to the output using an FM receiver?  Does it sound about the same volume as what you get when you listen to your D-STAR repeater with a FM receiver?

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 8:12 AM, Johnny <w5pfr@...> wrote:
In dstarrepeater program, where it says, for two meters, change the modem RX to 0, not invert
And my repeater callsign
That's all

Not having a tone on the repeater can cause problems, please add one.  (Basically, the repeater is trying to send the D-STAR signal through but with pre/de-emphasis and the modem on the UDRC is also sending it.)

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 9:48 AM, Johnny <w5pfr@...> wrote:
[...]

Do not use 100.0 hz tone, I usually use 123.0 hz

On Wed, Nov 15, 2017 at 9:55 AM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:
[...]

Will do when I get home. Thanks for the help John
w5pfr

On Nov 15, 2017, at 11:57 AM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

[...]

image1.JPG
John, I did put the tone and now it receives, but won't tx the repeater. When I take the tone off, it will tx the repeater. I decided to hook it up yo the monitor and try the GUI. This is the part about setting up the Dstar repeater and I have the window open of the UDRC being found, but the Dstarrepeater program, under the sound card setting, there is nothing to select! According to the YouTube video of the DR1X tutorial, I should be able to see the board being selected.
Not sure what I'm doing wrong or not being downloaded from the site?

Thanks in advance:
W5pfr

On Nov 15, 2017, at 12:52 PM, Johnny <w5pfr@...> wrote:

[...]

Forgot to mention, with the tone squelch on, the repeater would receive, but as soon as I would unkey, then the repeater would go in to TX and gives me the BER rate, scroll on my radio screen! Kinda like echotest, but with no audio!!!

On Nov 15, 2017, at 9:21 PM, Johnny <w5pfr@...> wrote:

[...]

I'm confused, I thought you were using the web interface of the first option I gave you.

Also the fact that you're not seeing the UDRC indicates that you might have the dstarrepeaterd running in the background.  You can only configure when no repeater software is running.

Make sure you have ctcss on input and output. The dstarrepeater won't key the repeater unless it is decoding, be sure it is configured for duplex. The DR-1X needs to be set to remote mode.

Make sure that d-star repeater is completely killed before trying to configure with the GUI.

On Nov 15, 2017 19:29, "Johnny" <w5pfr@...> wrote:
[...]

Well, Got frustrated with the setup, so started again with two new downloads from:ftp://starbuck.hays.org/ and burned two images.
One is: 2017-04-23-compass.zip, (1.5gb)
The second one is: 20170405-web-udrc.zip (380mb)

which one you suggest to work with first, when I get home?

This one ftp://starbuck.hays.org/image_2017-04-23-compass.zip  (It's the only one you need and is what is illustrated in the thread I referenced)

Be sure to have CTCSS on input and output on the DR-1X, as well as it being in remote mode.

Don't try to second guess the settings from the web setup tool.

What is happening when you run without CTCSS is you are getting a distorted signal out of the repeater that your radio can't decode. Let the UDRC manage the D-STAR repeating function.  The DR-1X controller will handle FM and Fusion Digital repeating.