Topics

[udrc] #draws Aluminum Case #draws

August Johnson

I bought an early adopter DRAWS many months ago, paid for the early-adopter AL case at beginning of May, still don't have any word on the case. Anything??? You got my money!

August KG7BZ

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 11:03 AM Joe Wisecaver <kg7ypb@...> wrote:
I totally agree with others in this thread. We've waited months for a case being promised a discount when they were available. Now pushed aside to another company without the product we have been patiently waiting for. Wrong way to keep your customers satisfied.

Joe Wisecaver KG7YPB

Hello August,

We will have an update on cases this week, Including changes to accommodate the new Pi4.

Yes we have your $15, which is of course refundable.

Bryan K7UDR

August Johnson

I want the case, was told it would be shipped in late May.

August KG7BZ

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 10:19 AM Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:
Hello August,

We will have an update on cases this week, Including changes to accommodate  the new Pi4.

Bryan K7UDR

Chris Metcalf

> We will have an update on cases this week, Including changes to accommodate  the new Pi4.

If we have a case on backorder (ordered mine a couple months ago) will we be receiving the Pi4-compatible cases or the old Pi3 case?

FWIW, at this point I'd rather have the DRAWS board in hand and I can wait on the case if I have to. I won't have my Pi4 until July anyway.

- Chris

Hello August,

We will have an update on cases this week, Including changes to accommodate  the new Pi4.

Bryan K7UDR

Dave N2OA

You can't expect them to create another early adopter case for the Pi 4. My understanding is that a discount was offered to early adopters and you took the risk knowing that there could be issues. If not being able to use the aluminum case and the Pi 4 with the early adopter board is the biggest issue, I'm fine with that, after all it didn't exist when these things were designed. If it turns out there is a defect in the board that causes it to stop working tomorrow, that would be a bummer but I also knew there was that risk and I'd be glad that I helped iron out any issues. 

I own two DRAWS boards and have two cases on order. I bought them knowing that anything could happen but I wanted to experiment with something new that I believe has potential. That is the Amateur spirit, isn't it? 

Dave
N2OA

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 2:22 PM Chris Metcalf <chris@...> wrote:
> We will have an update on cases this week, Including changes to accommodate  the new Pi4.

If we have a case on backorder (ordered mine a couple months ago) will we be receiving the Pi4-compatible cases or the old Pi3 case?

FWIW, at this point I'd rather have the DRAWS board in hand and I can wait on the case if I have to. I won't have my Pi4 until July anyway.

- Chris

Hello August,

Bryan K7UDR

Due to production delays, we will attempt to make both the early-adopter and production cases Pi 3-4 compatible.

We should have an update this week.

Bryan K7UDR

Keating Floyd

You are all really amazing - thank you, for so much attention to all the moving parts!

Keating
KC4HSI

On Mon, Jun 24, 2019 at 9:05 PM Bryan Hoyer <bhhoyer@...> wrote:
Due to production delays, we will attempt to make both the early-adopter and production cases Pi 3-4 compatible.

Bryan K7UDR

Chris Metcalf

Awesome, that is great news!

-- 
Chris Metcalf

Reply: udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io <udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io>
Date: June 24, 2019 at 16:05:24
To: udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io <udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io>
Subject:  Re: [draws and udrc] [udrc] #draws Aluminum Case

Bryan K7UDR

Stephan DG1BGS

Hi all,
Are there any news when the early adopter case will be shipped out to the customers. I still haven't received mine.

vy 73 & 55 de Stephan 9V1LH / DG1BGS

Am 25.06.2019 um 01:14 schrieb August Johnson:

I bought an early adopter DRAWS many months ago, paid for the early-adopter AL case at beginning of May, still don't have any word on the case. Anything??? You got my money!

August KG7BZ

I totally agree with others in this thread. We've waited months for a case being promised a discount when they were available. Now pushed aside to another company without the product we have been patiently waiting for. Wrong way to keep your customers satisfied.

Joe Wisecaver KG7YPB

As per our blog post, the cases are being redesigned to accommodate Pi3 and 4. We will post on the blog when we have a date.

Bryan K7UDR

On Aug 11, 2019, at 11:26 PM, Stephan DG1BGS <stephan.grensemann@...> wrote:

Hi all,
Are there any news when the early adopter case will be shipped out to the customers. I still haven't received mine.

August KG7BZ

Joe Wisecaver KG7YPB

Stephan DG1BGS

Thank you for the information, Bryan. Seems I missed the blog post.

Am 13.08.2019 um 02:15 schrieb Bryan Hoyer:

As per our blog post, the cases are being redesigned to accommodate Pi3 and 4. We will post on the blog when we have a date.

Bryan K7UDR

On Aug 11, 2019, at 11:26 PM, Stephan DG1BGS <stephan.grensemann@...> wrote:

Hi all,

August KG7BZ

Joe Wisecaver KG7YPB

Tim Huffaker

I really hope I can get the discounted early adopters case I ordered last April. Or it would be nice to know if we will ever get the case. I wanted for its emi shielding and power port. Cases for these boards are limited. 

Thank you,
Tim KM4ESU 

okiejim

I also have been waiting for mine for the same reason. My hat is just sitting not in use until I get the case. Sure do hope we get an update soon. And it would be nice to know they know I paid for one along time ago.

73's
kd6vpe

Chris - KC9AD

If it’s any encouragement, many of run our systems without a case initially. Getting it running is part of the fun. To me, it’s simply magical to attach a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to that tiny system and see it come to life. And Ethernet, and VNC! 73.

Chris Doutre KC9AD

From: udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io <udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of okiejim
Sent: Monday, September 02, 2019 9:47 AM
To: udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [draws and udrc] [udrc] #draws Aluminum Case

I also have been waiting for mine for the same reason. My hat is just sitting not in use until I get the case. Sure do hope we get an update soon. And it would be nice to know they know I paid for one along time ago.

73's
kd6vpe

Sam Wash

I’m in the same boat!

On Sep 2, 2019, at 11:54 AM, Chris - KC9AD <c.doutre@...> wrote:

If it’s any encouragement, many of run our systems without a case initially. Getting it running is part of the fun. To me, it’s simply magical to attach a keyboard, mouse, and monitor to that tiny system and see it come to life. And Ethernet, and VNC! 73.

Chris Doutre KC9AD

From: udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io <udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io> On Behalf Of okiejim
Sent: Monday, September 02, 2019 9:47 AM
To: udrc@nw-digital-radio.groups.io
Subject: Re: [draws and udrc] [udrc] #draws Aluminum Case

73's
kd6vpe

Stuart Longland VK4MSL

On 3/9/19 2:54 am, Chris - KC9AD wrote:
Well, I've got mine just sitting bare at the moment, haven't done a lot other than tested receive with the board due to lack of time.

My plan is to throw it into the top-box on a bicycle, it'll be interesting to see how the DIN-6 connectors fare with the vibration. It'll be doing APRS/AX.25 packet and voice relay via WiFi (either using something WebRTC-based or using mumble, we'll see).

I don't dare even try though without that little computer in a case to stop it getting dinged up, and it'll need to be substantial on the RF front as it'll have a HF antenna (with 100W pX TX power) and a VHF/UHF antenna (with 50W/20W pX TX power) within a 1m radius of the computer.

I understand the hold up is that the case is being re-designed to accommodate the Pi4; hopefully without reducing its utility to Pi2/3 users.

The questions in my mind are how many of those waiting for a case are actually wanting to use it with a Pi4, and how many cases of the older design were "in stock" at the time the decision to re-design the case was made?

I can only conclude that perhaps not many were in stock and the wheels of manufacturing hadn't yet started turning on a new batch.

Hopefully the re-design is a short process, otherwise maybe it'd be worth maybe just doing a production run of Pi2/3 cases in the mean time so that those of us with older stations can protect our investments from the elements.
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.

Mike Watkins

On Mon, Sep 2, 2019 at 9:54 AM Chris - KC9AD <c.doutre@...> wrote:

Likewise. After doing some work on RPi4 to confirm there were no issues on Buster (on either the RPi3 or RPi4), I've moved my DRAWS / udrc hat to an unused RPi3 sitting in a little box above a shelf mounted older Icom radio; it's now on the air full time as a local APRS digipeater and IGate and will soon have a second radio providing service to a secondary "low power" APRS device frequency in our area.

Yes, I'd love a case. One user here noted 3D printing one; that might be an option I'll pursue. In the meantime, the device is being used.

Roderick Wayne Hart Sr.

I was beginning to think I would never see the case I ordered. Guess there is still hope.

Brian Campbell

I think the early adopters case should be for the pi3 only, this is what I paid for. 

Now, if they ever redevelop them and then have them made, there will be unused holes that will look bad.