Topics

UDRC-II -> Yaesu 857D VHF/UHF Packet attempts #udrc-ii

Nick Ellson

Now that I have the UDRC-II Mod for Yaesu Radios working, FLDIGI and WSJT-X work swimmingly (with no tuning even), I wanted to complete my digital Pi workstation with a little TNC2 love.

I have read several articles by Kevin Hooke (link below) on how to get a Raspberry Pi with Soundcard to work, but I seem to be missing something.

My goal is to have a TCP port listening as a TNC2 command port that responds to things like "mycall" "echo" "c <callsign>" and one that a Windows system on my network can use with RMS Express as a remote KISS TNC.

I know Direwolf is set up with my UDRC-II, from when I first got it a few months back, and it can put up a psuedo KISS TNC which gives a totally functionless CMD: TNC2 like prompt that does.. well. nothing as far as I can tell. But when I run Direwolf with my radio on 144.990 I occasionaly see decodes of the local ARES BBS beconiong, so I know I might be close.

I thought one solution was the kissattach/mkiss command pipe string, but have not been successful there either. Or was it direwold + pilinbpq? I have that loaded as well.

Would anyone that has successfully gotten packet TNC2 share a little about what made up your solution?

Nick

https://www.kevinhooke.com/2016/01/14/packet-radio-ax25-direwolf-and-linpac-on-a-raspberry-pi/

Corky Searls

Debian has a full AX25 capability in the library and tools which will provide this functionality. I did this several years ago for another application, but have not yet set this up to work with the UDRC-ii. Basil has paclink unix running which provides a full Winlink packet capability that may provide the capability you want.

Thanks,
-Corky

On Mar 15, 2017, at 6:39 PM, Nick Ellson <nick@...> wrote:

[...]

Basil Gunn

On Thu, 16 Mar 2017 07:24:14 -0700
Craig <casxcski@...> wrote:
I know Direwolf is set up with my UDRC-II, from when I first got it
a few months back, and it can put up a psuedo KISS TNC which gives
a totally functionless CMD: TNC2 like prompt that does.. well.
nothing as far as I can tell. But when I run Direwolf with my radio
on 144.990 I occasionaly see decodes of the local ARES BBS
beconiong, so I know I might be close.

I thought one solution was the kissattach/mkiss command pipe
string, but have not been successful there either.
I have a set of scripts in github which installs ax.25 packet using a
UDRC.

You can install core functionality which allows you to use any of the
AX.25 apps/tools like call & listen, etc. The ax.25 apps/tools most
likely provide the functionality that you are looking for.

This repository has scripts that will automatically install all the
required packages required for:
- core ax.25
- Linux RMS gateway
- paclink-unix basic or with a mail server.

Read the README files in the github repository. You most likely only
want to install core ax.25 functionality.

https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix

Note this has nothing to do with D-Star.

/Basil n7nix

Nick Ellson

Oh I would like to get that rms-gateway setup one day as well. Using my RPi as a hotspot for my ARES team..

But unfortunately the longer I beat my head trying to get even the basic connectivity, the more I seem to feel I am not understanding any of this. I am so frustrated with myself as I had this all working on a Raspbian system a year ago with a $4 sound card, where I could ping between two systems using lil boafeng HT's, demonstrated that I could use telnet to port 8001 (think that was direwolf with pilinbpq) to get a TNC2 CMD: prompt and use it like a hardware TNC on my Kenwood for local BBS and keyboard to keyboard.. it all worked but I can't remember how and I failed miserably at documentation. I think that makes it worse.. I know it can be done.. my year ago self figured it out.. me now.. huge mental block...

Well.. I mean direwolf works..

pi@hammy:~ $ direwolf -t o -p
Dire Wolf version 1.3
Includes optional support for:  gpsd hamlib

Reading config file direwolf.conf
Audio device for both receive and transmit: plughw:CARD=udrc,DEV=0  (channels 0 & 1)
Channel 0: 1200 baud, AFSK 1200 & 2200 Hz, E+, 48000 sample rate / 3.
Channel 1: 1200 baud, AFSK 1200 & 2200 Hz, E+, 48000 sample rate / 3.
Ready to accept AGW client application 0 on port 8000 ...
Ready to accept KISS client application on port 8001 ...
Virtual KISS TNC is available on /dev/pts/2
WARNING - Dire Wolf will hang eventually if nothing is reading from it.
Created symlink /tmp/kisstnc -> /dev/pts/2

<30 second later heard over the air>
K7CLL2 audio level = 25(12/9)   [NONE]   __|||||__
[0.4] K7CLL2>BEACON:Clark County ARES/RACES K7CLL-15 BBS on 144.99/1200Bd and 441.060/9600Bd<0x0d>
Unknown message type C

So I am hearing stuff. But I don't know how to use that interface to try to connect. Or which piped add on I used that got me the more functional TNC2 style CMD: prompt.

I'll keep whacking away at google....

Nick Ellson

OK, I am going to muddle through slowly and make sure I get this.

My UDRC-II using the 6-Pin din, 1200 baud

direwolf.conf snippet would look like:

ADEVICE plughw:CARD=udrc,DEV=0

ARATE 48000

ACHANNELS 2

#HD-15

CHANNEL 0

MYCALL N7CKY-5

MODEM 1200

PTT GPIO 12

#DIN-6

CHANNEL 1

MYCALL N7CKY-6

MODEM 1200

PTT GPIO 23

AGWPORT 8000

KISSPORT 8001

/etc/ax25/axports

#portname       callsign        speed   paclen  window  description

udr0            N7CKY-8         1200    255     2       Direwolf port

That look about right?

Basil Gunn

OK, I am going to muddle through slowly and make sure I get this.
Or you could use install scripts & look at the result.
https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix

That look about right?
Yes.
/Basil n7nix

Nick Ellson

Not sure why my mail client is failing to reply... but Basil, I have cloned your repo and have begun the core install and will follow this through to completion.

Thank you for the repo, so far it's built everything with no errors..

Craig <casxcski@...> wrote:

[...]

Basil,

Successfully installed and rebooted.

So I would like to test transmission to my local ARES BBS.

I have LinPac (never used it before) and Minicom. Or would I be using the ax.25 commands to make the connection? (Have not used axcall or the other tools, just the kissattach to play with IP over packet with the

Nick

Basil Gunn

Successfully installed and rebooted.

So I would like to test transmission to my local ARES BBS.
Type: mheard.
Does the callsign of your BBS show up?

To connect to your bbs type:

call udr0 your_bbs_callsign

I'm currently at MicroHAMS in Redmond so my response time might
lengthen.

/Basil n7nix

Nick Ellson

I'll test soon, in transit as well...

Would it be ok to use Direwolf 1.4 from dev?

I got this from that group:

Nick wants to :

1. Be able to locally login to ARES BBS for messages. (Minicom? linPac?)

Dire Wolf version 1.4 has support for traditional connected mode packet. You will need to use a separate terminal application such as AGWterm.

Details here: https://github.com/wb2osz/direwolf/raw/dev/doc/User-Guide.pdf in chapter 10.

This connects over TCP port 8000 so the TNC and applications can be running on different computers and different operating systems. In the default configuration, Dire Wolf can handle 3 concurrent applications on port 8000. This is easily increased by changing one line and recompiling.

To get version 1.4, use "git checkout dev" command.

On 2017-03-18 11:57, Basil Gunn wrote:
Successfully installed and rebooted.
So I would like to test transmission to my local ARES BBS.
Type: mheard.
Does the callsign of your BBS show up?
To connect to your bbs type:
call udr0 your_bbs_callsign
I'm currently at MicroHAMS in Redmond so my response time might
lengthen.

Would it be ok to use Direwolf 1.4 from dev?
Why? What exactly do you want to do? If you want to log into a BBS
you can use the current version of Direwolf (1.3) and the ax.25 app
"call" as I previously described.

If you want to connect from some application on your laptop using
Direwolf on the PI using TCP port 8000 you can do that with the
current version as well.

If you think you need to install the dev version of Direwolf go ahead
but I'm not going to be any help because I haven't done that.

/Basil

I got this from that group:

Nick wants to :

1. Be able to locally login to ARES BBS for messages. (Minicom?
linPac?)

Dire Wolf version 1.4 has support for traditional connected mode
packet. You will need to use a separate terminal application such as
AGWterm.

Details here:
https://github.com/wb2osz/direwolf/raw/dev/doc/User-Guide.pdf in
chapter 10.

This connects over TCP port 8000 so the TNC and applications can be
running on different computers and different operating systems. In
the default configuration, Dire Wolf can handle 3 concurrent
applications on port 8000. This is easily increased by changing one
line and recompiling.

Nick Ellson

pi@hammy:~$ call udr0 k7cll-8
call: no AX.25 port data configured
pi@hammy:~$

pi@hammy:~$ sudo cat /etc/ax25/axports
# /etc/ax25/axports
#
# The format of this file is:
#portname callsign speed paclen window description
udr0 N7CKY-8 9600 255 2 Direwolf port
pi@hammy:~$

On 2017-03-18 11:57, Basil Gunn wrote:
Successfully installed and rebooted.
So I would like to test transmission to my local ARES BBS.
Type: mheard.
Does the callsign of your BBS show up?
To connect to your bbs type:
call udr0 your_bbs_callsign
I'm currently at MicroHAMS in Redmond so my response time might
lengthen.
/Basil n7nix

Nick Ellson

The thought was just to get a feature that 1.4 might have had, but another user has replied on the direwolf yahoo group says it actually does not do what I was told it did.

I did send a snippet of the call app saying it could not find the UDR0 device?

Nick

On 2017-03-19 11:33, Basil Gunn wrote:
Would it be ok to use Direwolf 1.4 from dev?
Why? What exactly do you want to do? If you want to log into a BBS
you can use the current version of Direwolf (1.3) and the ax.25 app
"call" as I previously described.
If you want to connect from some application on your laptop using
Direwolf on the PI using TCP port 8000 you can do that with the
current version as well.
If you think you need to install the dev version of Direwolf go ahead
but I'm not going to be any help because I haven't done that.

Apparently your install was unsuccessful. Send the results to me
only. I'll let the forum know what I discovered. Did you follow the
"Verify CORE Install" instructions from the github?

https://github.com/nwdigitalradio/n7nix/blob/master/CORE_INSTALL.md

Also do this as user pi:

cd ~/bin
./ax25-status

Copy & paste ALL the output to an e-mail to me.

Then as root in the same directory /home/pi/bin:

./ax25-stop
./ax25-start
./ax25-status

Copy & paste ALL the output to an e-mail to me.

/Basil