Topics

UDRC/RPi/DR-1X

Gordon Munck

A little background:  I've been communicating with DStar through an ID51A+ into a DVMega/RPi setup for about a year now.  It works fine with no hiccups.

I am attempting to make a UDRC/RPi/DR-1X configuration work.  I believe I have the ircDDB gateway established, but as I am unable to make this equipment communicate with the DStar world.  When I key the HT the DR-1X receives and transmits, but I get no communication with the Internet side of things.  The dstarrepeaterd_1log seems to update regularly, but with no data moving I can't tell what needs to be fixed.  My goal is to have a DStar and Wires-X repeater available to the area.  Before I started the DStar/UDRC work the Wires-X function worked on the repeater.

Is there an area in this realm that walks one through the requirements for making the connection?

Do I need to register the repeater with DStar in order to make it work?

I'd appreciate some direction here...I'm not sure quite where to turn.

Have you followed the Wiki articles exactly, including the linked pages?

Starting with https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/wiki/UDRC™-Setup-for-the-Yaesu-DR-1X-Repeater

On Jan 15, 2017 15:03, "Gordon Munck" <Gordonmunck@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the reply.  I believe I have followed everything meticulously several times, but I will go over everything again.

Gordon

On Jan 15, 2017, at 3:10 PM, John D Hays - K7VE <john@...> wrote:

[...]

John,
Here are log files that may help tell you what I'm not doing correctly.  I'd appreciate any advice you have!  I did remove automatic connection to REF029--it's gone now.
Thank you,
Gordon

On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 2:44 PM, Gordon Munck <Gordonmunck@...> wrote:

[...]

Gordon,

The logs don't really give me enough information about your configuration.

I do note that you were trying to link to XRF029 B - I don't think XRF029 exists.  Are you trying to connect to the Northwest reflector?  It is REF029 A  (REF029 C is Utah).

The good news is that it looks like you are reporting into both ircddb.net and quadnet. (http://status.ircddb.net/qam.php?call=KI7BPY)  Though you don't seem to be reporting Latitude and Longitude (which ircddbgateway should be doing if configured completely).  I also don't see any activity from the repeater itself either in the log or on the ircddb.net site. (Providing all relevant callsigns when asking for help is important).

It also looks like you may not be getting DNS resolution, which is a Linux configuration issue -- can you ping google.com from the Raspberry Pi?  Also have you setup your firewall forwarding rules in your router -- I was not able to link to you?

If you want to send me a personal email with the configuration files out of /etc/opendv, I will give them a quick look.  You could also setup ssh login for me (with sudo privileges for a closer look).

Does the repeater key up on D-STAR?  (Have you tried Echo?)
Does the repeater key up on Analog FM (with PL)?
Does the repeater key up on Fusion Digital?

What firmware is running on your repeater?

On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 8:06 PM, Gordon Munck <Gordonmunck@...> wrote:
[...]

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223

VE3MIC

Edited

I recently performed a 'apt-get update', and a 'apt-get upgrade' and since that time, my DR-1x is behaving as Gordon has described.

I've been through all of the settings again, and from the steps in the wiki, but no joy. I can always revert to my backup image, but have been trying to find out what exactly has broken my image that has been operating flawlessly since last August,

I'm at a loss as to what the problem is.

John, does performing an apt-get upgrade still break Compass? I had thought that this was no longer an issue.

Thanks in advance to everyone concerned.

73 de Mike

Mike,

I am not aware of any specific issue with the update, but a new package can always come in.

I do updates pretty often, but in most cases people are safe only doing it when there is a specific package or security update is known to be needed.

I have had several people that somehow get themselves into an unknown state and I have them do a fresh install and update, then follow the Wiki.  When I get personally involved, it is almost always a bad configuration somewhere in the setup.

One thing to check is use the gpio command with the readall switch, if GPIO.7 is not set to ALT0 then something is crossing up the gpio subsystem, this is where I go to a fresh install.  GPIO.7 is used to manage the sound chip.

-- John

On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 7:36 AM, VE3MIC via Groups.Io <ve3mic@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

I recently performed a 'apt-get update', and a 'apt-get upgrade' and since that time, my DR-1x is behaving as Gordon has described.

I've been through all of the settings again, and from the steps in the wiki, but no joy. I can always revert to my backup image, but have been trying to find out what exactly has broken my image that has been operating flawlessly since last August,

I'm at a loss as to what the problem is.

John, does performing an apt-get upgrade still break Compass? I had thought that this was no longer an issue.

Thanks in advance to everyone concerned.

73 de Mike

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223

VE3MIC

Thanks John.

The GPIO settings looks good to me. I'll keep looking, and if I can't locate the problem, I'll restore the image.

73 de Mike

VE3MIC

Opps! I may have misread the results. I was looking at pin#8 rather than pin#7.

de Mike