Topics

[udrc] UDRC-II squelch on the Yaesu FT-897D → Does DRAWS require this?

Stuart Longland VK4MSL

On 15/11/16 12:33 am, Bryan Hoyer wrote:
The Active Low SQL pin drives a 4.7kOhm resistor to the base of a transistor.

Some radios may require a pull-up resistor to any convenient voltage 3-12V. I’d go with a 4.7k to 3.3V up to 10k at 12V.
Hi all,

The DRAWS board arrived yesterday evening, and today I picked up a new
Raspberry Pi 3 to connect it… so far things seem to be working but I'm
yet to hook up a radio.

Now, with the predecessor board (which has seen some use as a packet
radio station), I had to make a small modification to get audio on the
FT-897/857…

https://stuartl.longlandclan.id.au/blog/2016/11/20/getting-the-udrc-ii-to-play-nice-with-the-yaesu-ft-897d/

I've also used this same board with an Yaesu FTM-350AR and a Icom 706 MkIIG.

For the DRAWS, I intend to use it on my bicycle, which runs a FT-857D.
The plan is I'll set up two transceivers: a Wouxun KG-UVD1P I have
laying around set on 145.175MHz for APRS; and use the other port going
to the data jack on the FT-857D. I'll use the DRAWS auxiliary port to
control the CAT interface.

With the Pi acting as a WiFi access point, I should be able to use a
Mumble VoIP server to allow my mobile phone to connect and act as a
"cross-band repeater".

Thus when operating a check-point (like I was for the Yarraman to
Wulkuraka bike ride¹ last year), instead of being tethered to the
bicycle, I can plug my headset into my phone instead and still have
80m-70cm all-mode capability.

For this to work, I still want to be able to use my radio normally, so
basically be able to plug the headset into the microphone/speaker jacks
on the set, and use it like I do now -- as Queensland road rules
preclude me from using a mobile phone whilst in transit *for any reason*
(unless I want an AU$1000 fine for my troubles).

Do I need a pull-up on the SQL lines like I did for the UDRC-II in order
to have normal audio on the FT-857D/897D?

Regards,
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.

1. https://www.brisbanewicen.org.au/2018/08/04/y2w/

Removing the SQL Pin seems like the best way to deal with the Yaesu Radios

Bryan

On 20/8/19 11:27 pm, Bryan Hoyer wrote:
Removing the SQL Pin seems like the best way to deal with the Yaesu Radios
How do I read the state of the SQL pin if it's open-circuit?

--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.

Squelch in the Radio is for analog modes so we don’t annoy the humans. The SW Modem isn’t annoyed so I turn squelch off in the radio.

On 21/8/19 9:07 am, Bryan Hoyer wrote:
Squelch in the Radio is for analog modes so we don’t annoy the humans. The SW Modem isn’t annoyed so I turn squelch off in the radio.
The software I plan to use requires the SQL signal to key up PTT in a
VoIP application. As stated in my original email:

With the Pi acting as a WiFi access point, I should be able to use a
Mumble VoIP server to allow my mobile phone to connect and act as a
"cross-band repeater".

Thus when operating a check-point (like I was for the Yarraman to
Wulkuraka bike ride¹ last year), instead of being tethered to the
bicycle, I can plug my headset into my phone instead and still have
80m-70cm all-mode capability.
In short, I'll be doing FM and SSB voice via the DRAWS board.

I'll have a look at the schematic and see if I can do the 5V pull-up mod
on the DRAWS and see how that goes.