Topics

Unable to get sound to FLDIGI with UDRC-II

Urdc@...
 

I'm at a loss, following the docs on setup, I configured my virtual soundcard for the 6 pin din, made the mod add to config.txt and rebooted. I see my din_In and din_out devices, and so does FLDIGI. I set the turbo = 1 as I am on a RPi 3b+


with my radio on digital (psk31usb) I plug in the UDRC card. I get a flat line, no waterfall. 

this is with the recieve channels reversed as the wiki says.


if I don't reverse channels, I get a very weak stripped waterfall. If I up the "LO Drive" I get a slightly fuller striped waterfall that's just as unreadable.

With my C-Media USB soundcard plugged in at the same time, I use the 6-pin din to the radio, I get a clean waterfall. 


I sat  with the radio connected and alsamixer open and tried moving every capture setting, could not get a clean waterfall.


might I have a bad board?



Urdc@...
 

Attached is the really applified stripey waterfall on 14070.00 

 

Test against the basic hardware (udrc) device first. Remember the virtual stuff is experimental.


On Nov 22, 2016 21:31, <Urdc@...> wrote:

I'm at a loss, following the docs on setup, I configured my virtual soundcard for the 6 pin din, made the mod add to config.txt and rebooted. I see my din_In and din_out devices, and so does FLDIGI. I set the turbo = 1 as I am on a RPi 3b+


with my radio on digital (psk31usb) I plug in the UDRC card. I get a flat line, no waterfall. 

this is with the recieve channels reversed as the wiki says.


if I don't reverse channels, I get a very weak stripped waterfall. If I up the "LO Drive" I get a slightly fuller striped waterfall that's just as unreadable.

With my C-Media USB soundcard plugged in at the same time, I use the 6-pin din to the radio, I get a clean waterfall. 


I sat  with the radio connected and alsamixer open and tried moving every capture setting, could not get a clean waterfall.


might I have a bad board?



Urdc@...
 

Thats fair. I removed all the virtual settings and went back to the initial setup. The same striped waterfall is there. I do have to use the swap left/right channels as in the docs, but with the audio setting from the factory set up modded to the tune tweaks, I get no waterfall, with the LO channel raised up I can just get this.



Urdc@...
 

If if I swap to the C-Media dongle, leaving the radio untouched.. I get good waterfall and QSO's.




Corky Searls
 

The signal you are seeing - the striped display - is a display of oscillator noise from a display or more likely the CPU and as you suspected indicates that no sound is being detected. Unfortunately, I do not have a system with me at this time I can test with, but a couple of suggestions of things to try.

First, make sure that no other applications are running that use the udrc. That is, make sure direwolf or other virtual connections as these will occasionally "steal" the sound stream. I have also seen occasional interaction between alsa-mixer and fldigi. You can tell if that is happening by whether you see the same settings when you open alsa-mixer  with and without fldigi running. If they are not the same, but you find "the LO channel raised all the way up" shut down fldigi and re-open alsa-mixer. Do you see the same settings? If not and everything looks normal, with alsa-mixer open and looking at the udrc display start fldigi. Now do you see the same waterfall display?

If you have access to an oscilloscope you can also check the input pin on the udrc to verify that you are seing signal from the radio.

I am assuming that you have already checked the continuity of the 6-pin cable to make sure all pins are passed through.

You do not say specifically what radio you are using, but from you description It sounds as though it might be an FT-817?

Thanks,
-Corky

On Nov 23, 2016, at 11:21 AM, Urdc@... wrote:

Thats fair. I removed all the virtual settings and went back to the initial setup. The same striped waterfall is there. I do have to use the swap left/right channels as in the docs, but with the audio setting from the factory set up modded to the tune tweaks, I get no waterfall, with the LO channel raised up I can just get this.


<IMG_7747.JPG>

udrc@...
 


Hi Corky!

1. Using a Yaesu 857d, in PSK31-U mode. My PKT Baud Rate was 1200, as that is what I use for my local BBS's, My MOBILINKd came with a short DIN-F to DIN-M extender that swaps the 1200/9600 baud pins, and that also allowed the UDRC-II to get some signal with the stripy noise.


2. Yup, I toned out each pin of the cable that came with, don't have an scope to put it on.


3. My first test was to re-run the set-udrc-din6.sh before running any application. Each time run a test is after reboot, since it takes so little time. I can't seem to rid myself of the nast stripy noise without killing the audio stream mixed with it. It is very hard to tell in the audio I am getting now is any sort of representation of what the C-Media Sound Card is seeing, I am working on a Female adaptor so I can more the DIN Male/Male cable between the two cards so that each test won't even change cable position.


I am open to other test, just shot :-D (And thank you for your guidance so far)


Nick








Urdc@...
 

I grabbed bed pictures of my environment.


you can see the C-Media sound dongle in white with the black DIN cord, and the Pi with UDRC and beige cord. The white cord is my CAT Control, with FLRig. Then Ethernet, HDMI, and Power.


to contrast between the two cards I am just swapping the DIN to the back of the radio.


nick




Corky Searls
 

Thanks for the additional information. I have an FT-817 at home that uses the same internal logic as the 857, so I can test it when I get there, but unfortunately, that will not be for  a while. The psk31 digital setting should work, but please make sure that you are set  for 9600 Baud and not 1200 baud. It should not matter as I believe the UDRC reflects the signal on both the 1200 and the 9600 baud pin, but not having any of the intervening flitering that may be on the 1200 baud port will help the signal quality.

As a second test, in the spirit of getting back to the most basic configuration, run fldigi without using flrig. For keying use gpio-23, though for checking sound this is not even needed. If you download the latest version on fldigi, it is configured to run with gpio using the wiringPi library to manage the ptt through digital control. With this configuration the fldigi display will not reflect the radio display, but you should have a direct sound path with no other software between fldigi and the radio to validate that the sound is working properly.

Thanks,
-Corky

On Nov 24, 2016, at 1:24 PM, Urdc@... wrote:

I grabbed bed pictures of my environment.


you can see the C-Media sound dongle in white with the black DIN cord, and the Pi with UDRC and beige cord. The white cord is my CAT Control, with FLRig. Then Ethernet, HDMI, and Power.


to contrast between the two cards I am just swapping the DIN to the back of the radio.


nick



<IMG_7776.JPG><IMG_7777.JPG><IMG_7778.JPG>

udrc@...
 


Hey Corky,


I rebooted, re-ran the UDRC soundcard initialization script, peaked with alsamizer to see the level were where they were when I first installed (check), then rebooted again just to make sure nothing was in path or attached to the UDRC.

Then I ran FLDIGI, and insured that the port audio had UDRC in both capture and playback, which it did. There was a single pixel height blip of the poor water fall patter I was seeing (no strips though) but it goes to black after than I I have no waterfall. I have a spy glass to inspect saoldering, I will take some time to go over the card, see if it's something like that.


I wouldn't think it would be this hard, maybe for fine tuning there would be some tweaking, but this is a non starter thus far.

Nick






Urdc@...
 


It does appear that a few locations were not masked and show signs of having had components mounted (the solder on these pads have depressions as if a part was there, not rounded as if they were not just populated and not masked either. 





 

That was an engineering change order and rework before shipping.

On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 7:35 PM, <Urdc@...> wrote:


It does appear that a few locations were not masked and show signs of having had components mounted (the solder on these pads have depressions as if a part was there, not rounded as if they were not just populated and not masked either. 








--


John D. Hays
K7VE

PO Box 1223, Edmonds, WA 98020-1223
   

udrc@...
 


Hey John,


OK, cool... Was a little worried I needed to check the back for loose parts :-D

Not sure what I can test next... Kinda stalled on being able to use the card at this point. I don't have the testing tools to trace signals.

Nick






Corky Searls
 

Nick, I am really sorry that it has taken so long, but I have finally worked this through and think I have a working solution for you. At least I can say this works with my FT-817 which when I started experienced the same symptoms that you are seeing.

Perhaps you have already figured this out, but the problem seems to be in the way that Yaesu is handling the pins on the 6-pin connector, in particular the squelch pin (pin 6). I found that if this pin was connected there was no audio out to the UDRC. Using an oscilloscope I verified that there was signal on pin 5 (the 1200 baud output) and pin 4 (the 9600 baud output). Note that crossing the signals so that pin 5 on the radio goes to pin 4 on the UDRC also works fine with fldigi and may be required if pin 4 is muted (as implied by the manual) when not using 2-m packet.

As an aside, I recommend not using the digital psk settings (PSK31-U), but instead use USER-U as some of the Yaesu radios have issues with the PSK31 setting.

Again, I am sorry for the delay in getting you a solution and hope that this addresses the issues you are having with your Yaesu and the UDRC.

Thanks,
-Corky

On Nov 25, 2016, at 7:27 PM, udrc@... wrote:


Hey Corky,


I rebooted, re-ran the UDRC soundcard initialization script, peaked with alsamizer to see the level were where they were when I first installed (check), then rebooted again just to make sure nothing was in path or attached to the UDRC.

Then I ran FLDIGI, and insured that the port audio had UDRC in both capture and playback, which it did. There was a single pixel height blip of the poor water fall patter I was seeing (no strips though) but it goes to black after than I I have no waterfall. I have a spy glass to inspect saoldering, I will take some time to go over the card, see if it's something like that.


I wouldn't think it would be this hard, maybe for fine tuning there would be some tweaking, but this is a non starter thus far.

Nick






Nick Ellson
 

Corky,

Hi!!

I had given up. It wasn't any fun bashing my head against the wall only to have a $4 USB sound dongle from Adafruit work out of the box.

But I will be happy to unpack the UDRC-II and work with you on it. Was hoping to help out others at SeaPac and Steve Aberle's workshop.

Nick

Nick Ellson - from iPhone (forgive typos)
CCIE #20018; VCIX-NV, CNSE
Network Hobbyist
"Educating Layer 8, one user at a time."

On Feb 9, 2017, at 9:55 AM, Corky Searls <af4pm@...> wrote:

I

Nick Ellson
 

Corky & all,

Used this mod: https://stuartl.longlandclan.id.au/blog/category/amateur-radio/

4.7k pull up on pin 5 of the DIN to +3.3v

My sound is no longer muted and I get a proper waterfall !!

Radio is the Yaesu 8507D.

Is there a chance that that UDRC-II board will see a mod that makes that squelch Pin tap higher impeadence?

On 2016-11-25 16:23, Corky Searls wrote:
Thanks for the additional information. I have an FT-817 at home that
uses the same internal logic as the 857, so I can test it when I get
there, but unfortunately, that will not be for a while. The psk31
digital setting should work, but please make sure that you are set
for 9600 Baud and not 1200 baud. It should not matter as I believe the
UDRC reflects the signal on both the 1200 and the 9600 baud pin, but
not having any of the intervening flitering that may be on the 1200
baud port will help the signal quality.
As a second test, in the spirit of getting back to the most basic
configuration, run fldigi without using flrig. For keying use gpio-23,
though for checking sound this is not even needed. If you download the
latest version on fldigi, it is configured to run with gpio using the
wiringPi library to manage the ptt through digital control. With this
configuration the fldigi display will not reflect the radio display,
but you should have a direct sound path with no other software between
fldigi and the radio to validate that the sound is working properly.
Thanks,
-Corky
On Nov 24, 2016, at 1:24 PM, Urdc@... wrote:

I grabbed bed pictures of my environment.
you can see the C-Media sound dongle in white with the black DIN
cord, and the Pi with UDRC and beige cord. The white cord is my CAT
Control, with FLRig. Then Ethernet, HDMI, and Power.
to contrast between the two cards I am just swapping the DIN to the
back of the radio.
nick
<IMG_7776.JPG><IMG_7777.JPG><IMG_7778.JPG>
Links:
------
[1] https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/message/1076
[2] https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/topic/3286408
[3] https://groups.io/mt/3286408?uid=183494
[4] https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/post
[5] https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/editsub?uid=183494
[6] https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc
[7] https://groups.io/static/tos
[8] https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/leave/defanged

 

Nick, yes on the next fab run on the UDRC-II we will add the pull-up as well as a few other minor enhancements.

On Mar 3, 2017, at 9:57 PM, Nick Ellson <nick@...> wrote:


Corky & all,

Used this mod: https://stuartl.longlandclan.id.au/blog/category/amateur-radio/

4.7k pull up on pin 5 of the DIN to +3.3v

My sound is no longer muted and I get a proper waterfall !!

Radio is the Yaesu 8507D.

Is there a chance that that UDRC-II board will see a mod that makes that squelch Pin tap higher impeadence?


On 2016-11-25 16:23, Corky Searls wrote:
Thanks for the additional information. I have an FT-817 at home that
uses the same internal logic as the 857, so I can test it when I get
there, but unfortunately, that will not be for  a while. The psk31
digital setting should work, but please make sure that you are set
for 9600 Baud and not 1200 baud. It should not matter as I believe the
UDRC reflects the signal on both the 1200 and the 9600 baud pin, but
not having any of the intervening flitering that may be on the 1200
baud port will help the signal quality.
As a second test, in the spirit of getting back to the most basic
configuration, run fldigi without using flrig. For keying use gpio-23,
though for checking sound this is not even needed. If you download the
latest version on fldigi, it is configured to run with gpio using the
wiringPi library to manage the ptt through digital control. With this
configuration the fldigi display will not reflect the radio display,
but you should have a direct sound path with no other software between
fldigi and the radio to validate that the sound is working properly.
Thanks,
-Corky
On Nov 24, 2016, at 1:24 PM, Urdc@... wrote:
I grabbed bed pictures of my environment.
you can see the C-Media sound dongle in white with the black DIN
cord, and the Pi with UDRC and beige cord. The white cord is my CAT
Control, with FLRig. Then Ethernet, HDMI, and Power.
to contrast between the two cards I am just swapping the DIN to the
back of the radio.
nick
<IMG_7776.JPG><IMG_7777.JPG><IMG_7778.JPG>
Links:
------
[1] https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/message/1076
[2] https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/topic/3286408
[3] https://groups.io/mt/3286408?uid=183494
[4] https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/post
[5] https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/editsub?uid=183494
[6] https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc
[7] https://groups.io/static/tos
[8] https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/leave/defanged

On Mar 3, 2017, at 9:57 PM, Nick Ellson <nick@...> wrote:


Corky & all,

Used this mod: https://stuartl.longlandclan.id.au/blog/category/amateur-radio/

4.7k pull up on pin 5 of the DIN to +3.3v

My sound is no longer muted and I get a proper waterfall !!

Radio is the Yaesu 8507D.

Is there a chance that that UDRC-II board will see a mod that makes that squelch Pin tap higher impeadence?


On 2016-11-25 16:23, Corky Searls wrote:
Thanks for the additional information. I have an FT-817 at home that
uses the same internal logic as the 857, so I can test it when I get
there, but unfortunately, that will not be for  a while. The psk31
digital setting should work, but please make sure that you are set
for 9600 Baud and not 1200 baud. It should not matter as I believe the
UDRC reflects the signal on both the 1200 and the 9600 baud pin, but
not having any of the intervening flitering that may be on the 1200
baud port will help the signal quality.
As a second test, in the spirit of getting back to the most basic
configuration, run fldigi without using flrig. For keying use gpio-23,
though for checking sound this is not even needed. If you download the
latest version on fldigi, it is configured to run with gpio using the
wiringPi library to manage the ptt through digital control. With this
configuration the fldigi display will not reflect the radio display,
but you should have a direct sound path with no other software between
fldigi and the radio to validate that the sound is working properly.
Thanks,
-Corky
On Nov 24, 2016, at 1:24 PM, Urdc@... wrote:
I grabbed bed pictures of my environment.
you can see the C-Media sound dongle in white with the black DIN
cord, and the Pi with UDRC and beige cord. The white cord is my CAT
Control, with FLRig. Then Ethernet, HDMI, and Power.
to contrast between the two cards I am just swapping the DIN to the
back of the radio.
nick
<IMG_7776.JPG><IMG_7777.JPG><IMG_7778.JPG>
Links:
------
[1] https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/message/1076
[2] https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/topic/3286408
[3] https://groups.io/mt/3286408?uid=183494
[4] https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/post
[5] https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/editsub?uid=183494
[6] https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc
[7] https://groups.io/static/tos
[8] https://nw-digital-radio.groups.io/g/udrc/leave/defanged

Previous Topic Next Topic