Topics

Update for ADC Config File #sensors #adc

Hello All,

DRAWS Has an on-board ADC to monitor the 12V supply. Sometime after the first run, 5V monitoring was added, but the config file wasn't updated so the sensors command doesn't work correctly.

the fix is to change /etc/sensors.d/draws as follows:

pi@K7UDR:/etc/sensors.d $ cat draws

#DRAWS uses the TL024 Which is SW Compatible with thw ADS1015

#It's an 8 Channel ADC, but only 4 Channels are pinned out

chip "ads1015-*"

        label in4 "+12V"

label in5 "+5V"

label in6 "User ADC 1"

label in7 "User ADC 2"

compute in4 ((48.7/10)+1)*@, @/((48.7/10)+1)

        compute in5 ((10/10)+1)*@, @/((10/10)+1)

pi@K7UDR:/etc/sensors.d $ sensors

rpi_volt-isa-0000

Adapter: ISA adapter

in0:              N/A

ads1015-i2c-1-48

Adapter: bcm2835 I2C adapter

+12V:        +13.52 V

+5V:          +5.06 V

User ADC 1:   +0.00 V

User ADC 2:   +0.00 V

To learn more about this, check out the man page for lm-sensors

Cheers,
Bryan K7UDR

Jack Spitznagel

Bryan,

Quick Question on that: Has John implemented this in the DRAWS Manager? Does not appear to be the case. At the bottom of current version, the status bar says:

Digital Radio Amateur Work Station | Adapter: bcm2835 I2C adapter • +12V: +13.68 V • in5: +2.50 V • User ADC 1: +0.01 V • User ADC 2: +0.00 V

Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.2 | CPU Temp: 108.24° F (42.36° C) • Uptime: 21 hrs 49 mins • Load AVG: 1m:1.07 5m:1.19 15m:1.17

Not in a hurry to do this, but the replacement board is working well… Many thanks.

Jack Spitznagel – KD4IZ

Trustee for NR3DT

The USCGC W-37 Amateur Radio Group

[...]

John will add it to a future release, after he finishes his new home in Kingston WA

On Jul 17, 2020, at 12:01 PM, Jack Spitznagel <kd4iz@...> wrote:

[...]

Great!

I missed that he was building. Best success to him!

-Jack

[...]

Got Mangled in the group:

#DRAWS uses the TL024 Which is SW Compatible with thw ADS1015
#It's an 8 Channel ADC, but only 4 Channels are pinned out

chip "ads1015-*"
label in4 "+12V"
label in5 "+5V"
label in6 "User ADC 1"
label in7 "User ADC 2"
compute in4 ((48.7/10)+1)*@, @/((48.7/10)+1)
compute in5 ((10/10)+1)*@, @/((10/10)+1)

Daniel VE3NI

Hi Bryan,

I updated /etc/sensors.d/draws as indicated and I am now seeing that the +5V sensor is reading +1.17V.

I have the early adopter card.

Any idea why the voltage might be reading low?

Thanks,

Daniel VE3NI

pi@draws:~ $ cat /etc/sensors.d/draws

#DRAWS uses the TL024 Which is SW Compatible with the ADS1015

pi@draws:~ $ sensors

rpi_volt-isa-0000

Adapter: ISA adapter

in0:              N/A

ads1015-i2c-1-48

Adapter: bcm2835 I2C adapter

+12V:        +12.33 V

+5V:          +1.17 V

User ADC 1:   +0.00 V

User ADC 2:   +0.00 V

pi@draws:~ $

Early adopter cards don’t have the 5V monitor capability

On Jul 20, 2020, at 6:16 PM, Daniel VE3NI <dgoodier@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Bryan,

Nothing to worry about then . . . hi hi.

Cheers es 73,

Daniel VE3NI / NI2D

[...]

Jack,

I just ran DRAWS Manager with the updated config and it works fine.

On Jul 17, 2020, at 12:45 PM, Jack Spitznagel <kd4iz@...> wrote:

[...]

That’s very interesting! Here is what the new board I just received is reporting:

I see “in5: +2.50V” not “+5V: +5.06V” on that top line. Maybe I need to run an update of code here?

Jack – KD4IZ

[...]

What does sensors report?

pi@K7UDR:~ $ sensors

On Jul 21, 2020, at 10:34 AM, Jack Spitznagel <kd4iz@...> wrote:

Bryan,

That’s very interesting! Here is what the new board I just received is reporting:
<image003.jpg>

[...]

Make sure you have an updated draws-manager (left menu)

Kingston, WA
K7VE

Jack Spitznagel

Bryan and John,

Essentially the same as yours Bryan! The one line different says:

in5:         +2.50 V

Same as on the Dashboard.

The very first thing I did when I re-checked it just now was to update the DRAWS manager “just in case”. I also came back and rebooted the Pi just in case and it still reads in5: +2.50 V. I also had run the manager update yesterday, but had not rebooted – same result.

I wonder if being behind one image version might be an issue? I have lost track, but think this is v16.

Also, are you both running Pi3’s or also Pi4’s?

Jack – KD4IZ