Topics

Where is the CPU temperature sensor ?

Andrew P.

Greetings.

I was noticing that the sensors command on the DRAWS image can report not only the A/DC values from the DRAWS hat, but also the CPU temperature. Where is that temperature coming from? A Pi-3B+ using raspbian-buster doesn't have that sensor show up in the sensors report and sensors-detect doesn't find it. How did you manage to get the CPU temperature reported?

I ask this because I have a Pi system (not using the DRAWS hat) that is repeatedly crashing at irregular time intervals, and I can't tell if it's from overheating or something else, and it would be nice to be able to get the CPU temperature to see if it is overheating.

Andrew, KA2DDO

Hi Andrew,

Temp comes from the cpu. The sensors command uses this with the supply monitor on DRAWS but a straight pi can display temp also.

Bryan K7UDR

pi@K7UDR:~ $ sensors
iio_hwmon-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
+12V:        +13.41 V
 +5V:         +5.06 V
User ADC 1:   +0.02 V
User ADC 2:   +0.02 V

cpu_thermal-virtual-0
Adapter: Virtual device
temp1:        +51.5°C

rpi_volt-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
in0:              N/A

pi@K7UDR:~ $ vcgencmd measure_temp
temp=51.0'C
pi@K7UDR:~ $

On Aug 26, 2020, at 9:11 AM, Andrew P. <andrewemt@...> wrote:

Greetings.

I was noticing that the sensors command on the DRAWS image can report not only the A/DC values from the DRAWS hat, but also the CPU temperature. Where is that temperature coming from? A Pi-3B+ using raspbian-buster doesn't have that sensor show up in the sensors report and sensors-detect doesn't find it. How did you manage to get the CPU temperature reported?

I ask this because I have a Pi system (not using the DRAWS hat) that is repeatedly crashing at irregular time intervals, and I can't tell if it's from overheating or something else, and it would be nice to be able to get the CPU temperature to see if it is overheating.

Andrew, KA2DDO

Andrew P.

Ah, must be the old kernel on the other Pi. Your NWDR17 image is using kernel 5.4.51 and the other Pi is still at 4.19.97.

On Aug 26, 2020, at 9:11 AM, Andrew P. <andrewemt@...<mailto:andrewemt@...>> wrote:

Greetings.

I was noticing that the sensors command on the DRAWS image can report not only the A/DC values from the DRAWS hat, but also the CPU temperature. Where is that temperature coming from? A Pi-3B+ using raspbian-buster doesn't have that sensor show up in the sensors report and sensors-detect doesn't find it. How did you manage to get the CPU temperature reported?

I ask this because I have a Pi system (not using the DRAWS hat) that is repeatedly crashing at irregular time intervals, and I can't tell if it's from overheating or something else, and it would be nice to be able to get the CPU temperature to see if it is overheating.

Andrew, KA2DDO

Steve, N9VW

Andrew,
The vcgencmd measure_temp command will provide you with the cpu temperature on a stock rasbian image.

Happy Trails,
Steve, N9VW

On 8/26/2020 9:11 AM, Andrew P. wrote:
Greetings.

I was noticing that the sensors command on the DRAWS image can report not only the A/DC values from the DRAWS hat, but also the CPU temperature. Where is that temperature coming from? A Pi-3B+ using raspbian-buster doesn't have that sensor show up in the sensors report and sensors-detect doesn't find it. How did you manage to get the CPU temperature reported?

I ask this because I have a Pi system (not using the DRAWS hat) that is repeatedly crashing at irregular time intervals, and I can't tell if it's from overheating or something else, and it would be nice to be able to get the CPU temperature to see if it is overheating.

Andrew, KA2DDO

Andrew P.

So will the sensors command if the kernel is up-to-date, which I just did. I am concerned about that particular Pi reporting ALARM (LCRIT) for the voltage sensor (but no useful value). The Pi with the DRAWS hat (and using the hat's 12V power input instead of a micro-USB supply) doesn't have that ALARM on its sensors report.

[...]

DRAWS Regulator Spec is 5.0 - 5.1 VDC 3.5A max on the Pi Header (After the Ideal Diode required by the HAT Spec

On Aug 26, 2020, at 10:30 AM, Andrew P. <andrewemt@...> wrote:

[...]

On my Pi with the DRAWS hat, sensors is reporting
+12V: +13.67 V
+5V: +5.07 V

so it would appear that the regulator is doing its job.